JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Trad Gang Highlights » Highlights 2010 » A long time coming (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A long time coming
hightop_hunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hightop_hunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
November 11 2010 was the day it all went down. I had taken about a week off school to unwind and hunt an 80 acre hill side just 10 mins from my family home. Its a tuff piece to hunt so there is no one else willing to put in the time and effort into using the land. For the last 4 or 5 seasons I have spent many unsuccessful day sitting in one of the three ground blinds that I made. Most years I don't see much but this year everything went just right. The deer were there, the elk were there, everyday coming and going from the stand. I was seeing at least half a dozen critters. On 3 occasions I had the opportunity to shoot at some pretty big bucks, but all three times they were just out of range or he jumped the string. On the morning of November the 11 all my bad luck was about to change. I was in my stand long before sun up, with the amount of buck patrolling the area I didn't want to miss another one. I found that on this land and during the rut the key is to use a decoy. It calms the other wise spooky deer when they are out in the open. That is exactly what happened. The doe came in after being spooked and was instantly calmed moving right under my stand the shot was 20 odd yards. Unfortunately, I have almost no experience shooting from an elevation. which is why I missed the big buck that came under me the day before. The arrow entered the doe in front of the back leg and buried it self in the liver. The deer went a few hundred yards and laid down. I waited an hour and then tracked the big mule deer doe. She was bed down in a little dip in the field. I snuck up with in 25 yards and put the second arrow right in her heart she went 10 yards and dropped. My first deer MY first kill.

I would really like to thank all you guys at this site for all the help and advice. I hope this doe is the first of many.

-

-

-

Posts: 143 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pitbull
Contributor 2014
Member # 18540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pitbull   Email pitbull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will always remember your first, Congrats! [clapper]
Posts: 1397 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom
2017 Contributor
Member # 2405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom   Email Tom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on a fine doe,way to follow up.

--------------------
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Posts: 3039 | From: Grottoes,Virginia, Shenandoah Valley | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gregg dudley
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gregg dudley   Author's Homepage   Email gregg dudley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

--------------------
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Posts: 5831 | From: weirsdale, fl | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Ed
Contributor 2017
Member # 2241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Ed   Email Big Ed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way to break the ice. Congrats!!!

--------------------
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Posts: 6928 | From: Morgantown, PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a memory that will stay with you forever!

Congrats,

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11676 | From: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babs
Contributor 2015
Member # 17376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babs   Email babs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, awesome!!!

--------------------
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Gillo riser Hexx 6.5 & Hexx7
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Posts: 910 | From: Altoona, PA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cnorth
Contributor 2015
Member # 18210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cnorth   Email cnorth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the your first kill...

--------------------
Trust in the Lord with all of thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. Proverbs 3: 5

BLACK WIDOW PCH 47 @ 28, 58" bubinga/yew

TOELKE WHIP 50 @ 28, 64"

BLACK WIDOW PMA III 51 @ 28, 62"

Posts: 517 | From: Savannah ,TENNESSEE | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bolong
Contributor 2014
Member # 21156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bolong   Email bolong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] Congrats! A'int nothing like your first!
Posts: 1918 | From: arkansas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rastaman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rastaman   Email rastaman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is one big doe! [thumbsup]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

[archer]

Randy Keene

Posts: 7094 | From: georgia | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Harris
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8287

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Harris   Email D Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations... I love eating Mule Deer better then Whitetails...enjot it!
Posts: 619 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Huntschool
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Huntschool   Email Huntschool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats man. Good work. You WILL remember this one.

Where in Canada?

How did ya get that week off of school? Just tell em ya needed to hunt? LOL

--------------------
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator
Shotgun/Pistol Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
ACUI 2011 Div. I National Champions
SCTP 2011 Collegiate Division National Champions
NSCA Level III Instructor
I.W.A.R.M Consultants
Black Widow Bows

Posts: 1880 | From: Illinois, Southernmost | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BRONZ
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BRONZ   Author's Homepage   Email BRONZ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff brother! Congrats! Time to buy a photo album that allows you to record some field notes in the margins. Start filling up some pages!

--------------------
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Posts: 1254 | From: Butler Co. Kansas | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumby
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumby   Email Gumby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats.... [clapper] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [archer]
Posts: 157 | From: Barrie, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hightop_hunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hightop_hunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Huntschool

Im hunting in Alberta just about half hour outside of calgary.
getting a week off was no easy task but it was a lot like erris bueller day off but for a hunter. Same crazy antics with more bucks

Posts: 143 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©