JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Trad Gang Highlights » Highlights 2010 » Big NJ Buck with Recurve (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Big NJ Buck with Recurve
bowhunterdave
Member # 8092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowhunterdave   Author's Homepage   Email bowhunterdave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Just taken last week. My biggest with the recurve to date.
Heres the story:

In my life I have never seen this buck on any cams or even heard of anyone else seeing this buck. The 6 day gun season started here in Jersey and I live too close to houses to use gun here.
I was in my stand by 2:00 Yesterday afternoon, tight urban area. I was given the opportunity to to hunt another area with my gun but just had a feeling about my own land. At 3:30-4:00ish I heard some deer running toward me fast and it sounded like a lot of them. I looked to the right and saw a truck pulling in across the street so I guess he pushed the does to me. Withen seconds the train of deer started crossing the road and coming into my funnel of oaks. I had made a decision earlier this week to shoot the first deer I could with the Martin 70# recurve. When a few of the deer started working toward me at the point of the funnel my heart was a thumpin....
I got into position and had 3 come withen 15 yards and all were not giving me a qtr away or even broadside shot. It seemed like forever to the point of my left arm holding up the bow was just burning. I had to put the bow down for a sec very soon. I put my head slowly against the tree and got the tip of the bow to my boot to rest my arm and luckily the deer stayed browsing in the leaves for acorns I suppose. This is a NON baited stand. After a long min or so, I started the whole process of getting into position again and luckily the wind was still in my favor. I just might pull this off I was thinking when to my right I saw bones coming in quick. I am now surrounded with eyes and git a buck coming in . I knew right away it was a shooter but never noticed how many points. I could not even look at the rack. I somehow managed to get the bow into a position where I thought he was gonna cross. I have to admit most of the rest is kinda a blur. I dont remember aiming or releasing even though I was repeating the whole time, dont F up, pick a spot, to myself. This buck came directly under me and I shot him strait down thru but I shot while he was walking and shot strait thru the liver. Arrow was hanging out his belly with fletching still inside when he ran.
I was a mess, to the point of almost puking. He ran right into another neighboring property with orange hatters hunting all over the peice. I sat down and started shaking so BAD!!!!!!!
I made the decision to go in at 3am and creep over and get my buck. The blood trail was decent, I was shooting 150 grain Magnus 2 blade, but no big puddles for first 150 yards. I was getting worried because people would be coming in the woods soon to hunt and I had to be gone. I lost blood for another 20 yards when I spotted my reflective arrow wrap in my headlamp glowing under a blowdown. I walked over to the arrow and there was blood everywhere. I walked circles but couldnt find where he walked away from this spot when I litterly almost tripped over his rack. He was so tucked under a sticker bush, I would have never found him. I marked the location on my gps and headed home for the gamecart. Had him outta the other property by 5 am. Got him checked in this morning and am about to cape him out for the taxi....

I had no idea the quality of this buck until I found it...... I know it was a bad shot but luckily it paid off. I will continue to use this bow for our winter season but after hunting everyday since early Sept., its time for break.

I learned a valuable lesson about old bucks: During firearm season these bucks will get as close to houses as they can. Had I been outside the safety zone and firearm hunting, I would have never seen him.

-

-

--------------------
Martin Hunter 70#@28"

Posts: 81 | From: NJ | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Haines
Contributor 2016
Member # 13576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Haines   Email Ron Haines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on a great buck.

--------------------
Ron

Posts: 136 | From: Oxford, NJ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cnorth
Contributor 2015
Member # 18210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cnorth   Email cnorth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JOB WEELL DONE, CONGRATS....

--------------------
Trust in the Lord with all of thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. Proverbs 3: 5

BLACK WIDOW PCH 47 @ 28, 58" bubinga/yew

TOELKE WHIP 50 @ 28, 64"

BLACK WIDOW PMA III 51 @ 28, 62"

Posts: 516 | From: Savannah ,TENNESSEE | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rastaman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rastaman   Email rastaman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice deer sir! [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

[archer]

Randy Keene

Posts: 7094 | From: georgia | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carbonflyr
2017 Contributor
Member # 22990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carbonflyr   Email carbonflyr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
after all that you deserve to take a rest!
congrats on a fine animal!! [thumbsup] [clapper]

Posts: 667 | From: new york | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bowhunterdave
Member # 8092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowhunterdave   Author's Homepage   Email bowhunterdave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Guys, Been a lurker for awhile, but finally got somthing worth posting... [Smile]

--------------------
Martin Hunter 70#@28"

Posts: 81 | From: NJ | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11671 | From: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pacopperhead
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pacopperhead   Email pacopperhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
awesome man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 488 | From: [south central]hanover,pa [pa/md line] | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Ed
Contributor 2017
Member # 2241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Ed   Email Big Ed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great looking buck!!

--------------------
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Posts: 6928 | From: Morgantown, PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pitbull
Contributor 2014
Member # 18540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pitbull   Email pitbull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those big sixes have character, Congrats! [thumbsup]
Posts: 1397 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JrsyBowHunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JrsyBowHunter   Email JrsyBowHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nice buck dave congrats

--------------------
Steven Siegert

Posts: 110 | From: Keansburg N.j | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bowhunterdave
Member # 8092

Thanks Everybody, It was an emotional ride!!!

--------------------
Martin Hunter 70#@28"

ti-guy
Contributor 2011
Member # 20125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ti-guy   Email ti-guy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice buck,I don't think he would have grow more points,Congrats

--------------------
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Posts: 1849 | From: Lac St-Paul,Qc,Canada | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Huntschool
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Huntschool   Email Huntschool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice deer. Gotta love those "close quater" covers in NJ. Houses and trash cans make good blinds as well as cover... LOL

Again nice job... What county you in? Old Jersey guy.....

--------------------
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator
Shotgun/Pistol Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
ACUI 2011 Div. I National Champions
SCTP 2011 Collegiate Division National Champions
NSCA Level III Instructor
I.W.A.R.M Consultants
Black Widow Bows

Posts: 1880 | From: Illinois, Southernmost | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rushlush
Contributor 2017
Member # 17859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rushlush   Email rushlush   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice buck congrats!
Posts: 1663 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©