JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Trad History/Collecting » Anyone Like Magazines FIXED PHOTOS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone Like Magazines FIXED PHOTOS
KentuckyFlintworks
Member # 36078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KentuckyFlintworks   Email KentuckyFlintworks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appreciate the comments on my other thread about some of my handles and my flintwork. I haven't looked through most of it in 10 years. Though it pales in comparison to most collections here, here is a photo of a complete set of California Bowman Hunter and an Art Young signature head for all to enjoy.....

-

[ April 25, 2012, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Terry Green ]

Posts: 44 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vintage-bears
2017 Contributor
Member # 29551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vintage-bears   Author's Homepage   Email vintage-bears   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice.

--------------------
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Posts: 2790 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl E. Nov...mber
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Earl E. Nov...mber   Email Earl E. Nov...mber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well crap,, I'd a liked to seen it.

--------------------
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Posts: 1964 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raghorn
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for raghorn   Email raghorn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blankity blank!
Posts: 2310 | From: Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yellow bow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow bow   Author's Homepage   Email yellow bow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[dunno]
Posts: 2171 | From: new jersey | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liquid Amber
Contributor 2015 - Assoc Sponsor
Member # 845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liquid Amber   Email Liquid Amber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You probably can count on one hand folks with "all" issues of "the California Bowman-Hunter." I have all but the first issue and they just showed up in the mail one day with a note, "I was cleaning out some stuff and found these. Add them to your files."

Later I mentioned to Wade Phillips I had them and he generously photo-copied the missing first issue and sent it to me.

There are many generous folks who visit this site.

Posts: 916 | From: Ruston, LA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bowhunterfrompast
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowhunterfrompast   Author's Homepage   Email bowhunterfrompast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's some cool history, what years were the issues of "the California Bowman-Hunter" printed?

Nice, an Art Young signature head. Maybe some day I will get lucky and add one to my collection.

What other broadheads do you have?

--------------------
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Posts: 2685 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KentuckyFlintworks
Member # 36078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KentuckyFlintworks   Email KentuckyFlintworks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The CBH was published during the middle of WW2. Actually I have 2 complete sets. Thanks for the comments, Art Young is one of my favorites. I have a few hundred heads but no really rare ones..
Posts: 44 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liquid Amber
Contributor 2015 - Assoc Sponsor
Member # 845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liquid Amber   Email Liquid Amber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May-August, October-Dec 1943, 7 issues only. It was published by Roy Hoff. I think it was February, 1944 when Hoff published the first issue of "Archery."
Posts: 916 | From: Ruston, LA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KentuckyFlintworks
Member # 36078

I never knew how scarce, but in many years of looking they are difficult to locate. You always hesitate to call anything rare. I accumulated one set from 3 sources the other came with Joe Messick stuff including his bound set of Ye Sylvan Archers. I'll try to post a pic of these if anyone is interested.
bowhunterfrompast
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowhunterfrompast   Author's Homepage   Email bowhunterfrompast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Post away....I'm always interested in the history of archery/bowhunting. It must be really cool to read those old publications.

--------------------
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Posts: 2685 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tox Collector
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tox Collector   Author's Homepage   Email Tox Collector   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a complete set -- the tournaments that the Wilhelms put on were one of the largest field archery events in southern California at the time. Their tournaments sounded really neat!

--------------------
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company." C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Posts: 208 | From: Connecticut, USA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JavelinaHink
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JavelinaHink   Email JavelinaHink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure would.like to find a set ,thanks for the post......Hink

--------------------
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Posts: 601 | From: Ida, Michigan | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wade Phillips   Email Wade Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Dennis,

Missed this post from over 5 years ago. But in reading it now for the first time, I learned that you acquired at least some of Joe Messick's stuff.

I was fortunate to visit Joe at his home a couple of times and always admired his sets of bound magazines. Although most sets were not complete, he bound them himself, which made the sets unique. Joe was a great guy and an interesting character to talk with in person or on the phone. Conversations with Joe were always long and always enjoyable.

Did you acquire all of Joe's stuff? I ask only because he had two items that I have never seen surface and I would like to get a photograph of those two particular items.

--------------------
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Posts: 2234 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©