Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Hawaiian Connection » Gearing Up for the Islands

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gearing Up for the Islands
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Gang,
Here's some of the gear that I use in the Islands. Please feel free to post your "Island Gear List" too!!!

Aloha!
Ryan Sanpei

Posts: 3031 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Hawaii, you may encounter varied terrain, from the sharp a'a lava rocks to the red dirt hills....
Things to consider.
A'a lava rocks will "eat your shoes" alive [Big Grin]
Some areas are really steep with loose rocks so ankle support is a must.
In other areas, you'll be walking for miles before hitting the hunting area.
Many hunting areas don't have "trails".
Some areas are notorious for rain.
Many places you'll be packing out your game, so account for the extra weight.

My two favorite shoes, Lowas and Crispis...

-

Posts: 3031 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Binos is a must... Primarily you'll be spot & stalking and the game animals here (axis deer & sheep) have great eyesight. If you're planning on hunting on public land, you'll need to spot them before they see you.

My preferred power is 10X42. You can get away with a pair of 8's but I wouldn't go any lower than that.

These 10X42 Swaros work like a charm.

-

Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

As for packs... In the areas that I hunt, my pack is with me a majority of the time. The only time that my pack may come off is on some stalks and during lunch. In Hawaii, we're able to debone our animals in many of the areas, so consider a pack big enough to carry meat. Plus water is not available in many areas and we have to deal with leptospirosis, so I always pack my water with me. In most cases, a pack around 2000 is sufficient although I have needed one at 3000 for certain applications.

Currently, I'm using a Tenzing 2220 for most of my day hunts

-

Doug Campbell
Assoc Sponsor - Charter Member
Member # 269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Campbell   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my biggest lessons came on Kauai, also one of the wettest places on earth. Even though the volcanic rock can be tough when it gets wet and that red dirt becomes red mud it is like grease. My trusty old, (worn) hiking boots were terrible on the cliffs and trails. Make sure you have some good traction soles and maybe cut a good walking stick.

--------------------
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith
Doug's Photo Album,

Posts: 8940 | From: SW Montana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Campbell
Assoc Sponsor - Charter Member
Member # 269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Campbell   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Ryan said many places like at Makua on Oahu are actually dry Desert but others can have plenty of water. While I try and carry plenty of water and certainly wouldn't drink ground water untreated I do like to have the iodine treatment tablets with me all the time. On multi day trips like the Napoli Coast they are a must and handier than a filter IMHO.

--------------------
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith
Doug's Photo Album,

Posts: 8940 | From: SW Montana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Great suggestions Doug!

If I'm not mistaken, the filters don't remove the leptosirosis. You need something that kills it.

Doug is absolutely right about the traction on the trails of Na Pali. At times, especially during the rainy seasons, it can feel like walking on ice. Many of the loacls wear spiked sole "tabis" or spike soled boots.

Na Pali is a unique hunting areas, one of the few places in Hawaii where you can backpack hunt.

Mahalo Doug!

Aunty
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aunty   Email Aunty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your on the money right there Ryan, Filters wont get rid of Lepto.
Posts: 279 | From: NewZealand, Invercargill | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Here's what happens if you got the wrong shoes for certain hunting areas...

-

-

-

-

Brand new shoes and only after 3 full days in one hunting area.

Tracks
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracks   Email Tracks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RE water treatment,
May I suggest a chlorine dioxide treatment such as Aquamira.
I have been using this stuff a lot for a few years now and it is superior to iodine in every way. It is more effective against pathogens, it tastes better, it is easier on the gut, and it lasts longer in a wet environment. I've used it in South America, Hawaii, and here at home with great success.

Posts: 130 | From: 60 N, 145 W | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

By all means keep the suggestions coming... This Hawaii Forum is for everyone!
I myself have a bunch of Micropur mp1 tablets on hand.

arrowlauncherdj
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arrowlauncherdj   Email arrowlauncherdj   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me one important question is can you get the water treatment stuff anywhere specific on the islands? Packing all your hunting/vacation gear can overstuff your suitcases as is. Stuff that will be used up on the trip, I like to purchase when I arrive and won't carry it back.
Posts: 411 | From: Spanish Fort, AL | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amazonjim
Contributor 2017
Member # 19589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amazonjim   Email amazonjim   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would surly carry a simple water filter, saw a neat one in Elk country you open one end to fill it and drink out of the other, some kind of carbon filter in the bottle.
Posts: 783 | From: Caledonia, MS | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

arrowlauncherdj,

For 99% of my hunts here in Hawaii, I pack in my own water. But if you do decide to drink the river water, I'd suggest you pack a filter/purifier, some of our island won't have what you're looking for.

The purifying tabs that I have can fit into a small medicine container.

GrisMunkyNinja
Member # 40078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrisMunkyNinja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
Stalker Wolverine 58" 45# @ 26

Posts: 44 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©