Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Hawaiian Connection » First Trad kill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First Trad kill
Msturm
Contributor 2016
Member # 41701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Msturm   Email Msturm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After hunting three bow seasons with a recurve I finally made it happen on the day after Valentines day. (gotta love a girlfriend who lets you and your buddy spend the evening getting ready to hit the mountains.) We spent a total of 13 hours on the ridges and mountain in West Oahu. We saw at least a 100 goats. We stalked in on several only to be busted or have them move out of range before we could get there.

Example of the terrain we were dealing with... Much of it is STRAIT up and down. There a several goats in the pic if you look close.

-

Exhausted and running out of water me and Ray decided to head down. It was 4:30 pm. walking down the ridge I spotted a small herd lower on the ridge near a rock outcropping that I thought would give me enough cover to get close.... Real close.

The goats 7 of them were on the right hand side of the ridge. I dropped down on the left hand side and with the wind in my favor moved quietly to the outcropping. I peeked around. The majority of the heard had moved. I thought that they had heard me coming, but after a minute a few were hanging around. We needed to get off the mountain soon. It was decision time.

There were three small goats left. 15 yards away. I sat down. breathed until my heart rate was as close to normal as it was going to get. I knocked an arrow. Slowly I began to kneel on the jagged volcanic rock and leaned around the boulder between me and the goats.

Kneeling on the rock, with my recurve at full draw, I was spotted by one of the goats. It took off. Leaving two other small ones. One was facing me and the other broadside but with the vitals behind a rock. I took aim for the head... I let it fly and the arrow hit its mark. (well pretty close to it anyway.)

It was awesome. The goat did not move. just reared up and fell over. It was not the largest goat I have taken from this area, Nor the prettiest. But as of this moment I am most proud of this one. This is the closest I have ever gotten to game bar none, and I finally made a good shot with the recurve. (I have missed several). I literally put a broad head through its ear.

So here it is. Shot placement.

-

And the final "must have" shot

-

Equipment: Samick Sage 55# 3RiversTrad only 400spine arrows. 610 grains total weight. G5 Montec broadhead.

To all the Hawaii guys. I know the goat is manini kine, but the shot was MAJAH.. It was skinned gutted, seasoned and pit roasted on Presidents day in Makaha! Let the hazing begin! [knothead] [biglaugh]

--------------------
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Keep yer stick on the ice.

Posts: 536 | From: Hawaii | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rastaman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rastaman   Email rastaman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome job sir! [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

[archer]

Randy Keene

Posts: 7084 | From: georgia | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KyStickbow
2017 Contributor
Member # 23941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KyStickbow   Email KyStickbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job brother...congrats!!

--------------------
Aim small...Miss small!!

Posts: 2070 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalArcher
Member # 23053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CalArcher   Email CalArcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any good goat recipes?

--------------------
Husband, Father, Bowhunter

Posts: 52 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Msturm
Contributor 2016
Member # 41701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Msturm   Email Msturm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curries and stews for the front quarters. ( although if you take them apart muscle by muscle and remove the silver skin they are about as tender as you could ever hope for!)

Back straps I season and sear then slice thin and eat that the way it is. or put it into tacos. (no taco seasoning of course)

The ribs and hind quarters I usually smoke. ( not much meat on them ribs) and then I cook the ribs for several hours in water in a croc pot until the water has reduced down by half. and use that stock to braise the hind quarters. ( THAT IS DELICIOUS!!)

A couple other winners I have experimented with: My buddy's girlfriend is from the middle east and she seasons and rotisseries an upper hind quarter or a neck and after a couple of hours on low she cuts it into thin strips and makes gyros with it.
Coating the whole thing (literally the entire skinned animal, minus guts head and hooves, with plain yogurt and various seasonings, and putting it in a trash bag in the fridge/ cooler/ whatever for a few days. Put a piece of rebar through it and tie the legs up so the skinny bits don't burn. Cook the entire thing over a long low fire turning twice an hour. ( up about two/three feet from the coals. ) We use Kiawe wood ( in texas they call it Mesquite . Same stuff. Burns real hot, coals last a long time and its all over the place out here.

Hope some of these help.

--------------------
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Keep yer stick on the ice.

Posts: 536 | From: Hawaii | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Butts2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Butts2   Email Butts2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do see a couple in the photo. The cooking methods sound as if they taste wonderful. I'll let you know....hopefully. thanks for the reply

--------------------
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Posts: 584 | From: Silt, Colorado | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Producer
2017 Contributor
Member # 43061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Producer   Email Producer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not know that there was dangerous game in Hawaii.... Just joking..

--------------------
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Posts: 207 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kea'au is one of the toughest hunts in my opinion. Well done!
Posts: 3023 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©