3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Donald Hoffman

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Your MOST Unbelievable HUNTING shot(s) (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Your MOST Unbelievable HUNTING shot(s)
DarkTimber
Contributor 2014
Member # 35852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkTimber   Email DarkTimber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkTimber:
quote:
Originally posted by J from Denmark:
Really cool to hear from legends like Barry and Ron👍🏻😊🏹

Thats awesome Aaron! Is that the exit-side or the In-side in that pic?

That's the entrance hole. Exit was in the arm pit on the opposite side.

Posts: 604 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug S
SPONSOR
Member # 2196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug S   Author's Homepage   Email Doug S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other story comes to mind.
Many times when at a new place or hunting around new people not used to a longbow or recurve after someone makes a couple of good shots on whatever, The challenges start "shoot that or see if you can hit this" .
I was on a ranch in Idaho and was shooting ground squirrels with a friend who had a compound. I was having a good day and was winning 9-4 with most shots out to 45 yds. The owner put me on the hood of his jeep and we drove around looking for the next one. We drove into a new corral and there was a HUGE 2000# bull Bison he owned walking thru. He tapped on the window and points at the bull wanting me to shoot it. I was using rubber blunts. He bet my buddy a dinner against me. But really a Bull after little Squirrels was easy. I think it was around 55 yards. Perfect hit. The Weirdest part was that Bull never even blinked or twitched when hit with 630 grain arrow. Just kept walking. Kinda humbling.
Have lots more of these kind of challenge shots.
we should start a thread on worst shots. I have a couple 5 yarders to tell.

Doug

--------------------
The hunt is the trophy!

http://www.lettinloose.com/lettinloose/The_DVD.html

Posts: 467 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Sanders
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Sanders   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Sanders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My shot was on a running hen pheasant. The Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland was having one of our annual Pheasant hunts. When I arrived at the place some of the members was already out and having some action. We were hunting in a cut corn field and the field was quite wet with water in some spots. As I was approaching where some of the members were, they called out to me and said that they had a bird that would not take to the air, but would just run from them. As I was coming toward them and stepped in one of the cut corn rows with an arrow already knocked on my Robertson bow, this hen pheasant took out running straight away from me down the corn row. Without hesitation and thought, I brought my bow up and let her fly from approx 12 or more yards at the Pheasant and as luck would have the Zwickey broadhead sliced her head right off. Man I could not believe it, even some of the other fellows could not believe I made that shot. A total instinctive shot. If you look at the pic you can see that the place was quite wet by looking at the soaked lower parts of my pants leg. You will also see in the pic the pheasant without the head. We ended up having a pretty good day that day.

Tony

-

Posts: 768 | From: Shady Side, MD | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yimbow
Member # 2330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yimbow   Author's Homepage   Email yimbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK I'm in. About 10 years ago I was hunting with a 41 lb recurve I made. I had put up my hang-on the night before. It was on a little ridge that had a nice trail that ran about 10 yds upwind from me. About 9:30 or so a pretty decent 9 pt came up from the wrong side of that ridge. He was in a thick stand of prickly ash and was coming towards me with that nose down, determined walk of a rutting buck. I got myself situated for a shot but there was so much brush I figured there would never be a chance. When he got to 15 yds his head jerked up and he stared right at me. I knew it was over, his next move was gonna be a 180 and a race out of there. Did I tell you it was really thick? I checked his vitals and there was a hole in the brush about as big as a softball right behind his shoulder. I had the bow at about half draw and figured if I moved he would bolt. I released and I can still see the yellow fletching spiraling through that hole in the brush, right to a perfect hit. He bolted then, and I heard him crash about a hundred yds away. That arrow went all the way through and stuck out the other side from a 41 lb recurve at half draw. Who needs heavy bows?
Posts: 4 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug S
SPONSOR
Member # 2196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug S   Author's Homepage   Email Doug S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see 2 pheasants Tony! Looks like the other has no head either!

Yimbow that was a tough shot.

--------------------
The hunt is the trophy!

http://www.lettinloose.com/lettinloose/The_DVD.html

Posts: 467 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J from Denmark
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J from Denmark   Email J from Denmark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice shooting Aaron🕶😮👍🏻😄 and everybody else
Posts: 441 | From: Denmark. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trenton G.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trenton G.   Email Trenton G.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first trad kill wasn't necessarily unbelievable for most, but it was for me. When I got home from school, I saw a big black squirrel in the back yard that had been making a mess of the bird feeder. I had only been shooting trad for about 2 months and had never shot at an animal. I had bought some judo points the night before for stump shooting and small game. I had never shot them or anything, but I opened the package, screwed one on my arrow and slipped outside. It was super windy and the squirrel never heard me sneak out the door. I leaned around the corner of the garage and saw him sitting about 14 yards away. I tried picking a spot, but was having trouble on an all black target. The only thing I could really make out was the pink of his ear. I had read all these things about how when people make a perfect instinctive shot they don't necessarily remember it but I never really understood it until then. I don't remember a single thing after looking at that ear. The next thing I knew that squirrel was laying on the ground dead. No twitching or anything. When I went over, there was a bloody spot a half inch behind his ear. My only witness was my youngest sister, and if she was impressed, she sure didn't show it LOL.
Posts: 544 | From: Boyne City, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeerSpotter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeerSpotter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was hunting on the stock watering hole, in SD. It was evening and the sun was about to go down. I had maybe 45 minutes of light left. Three deer came up at 20 yards away. They stopped and looked and then they got comfortable. One started drinking. The other two walked away. But the one larger doe stood there for a while. I raise my bow, came to anchor and let arrow go.

To my surprise it landed in the mud right between the doe's legs she was broadside. She just looked around, was's startled and took another drink. I pulled out another arrow, came to full draw and let that go. I was high, I imagined from over reacting from the last shot. When the arrow hit her she dropped straight to the ground and didn't move again. It was a spinal hit. I heard all the air come out of her lungs and then nothing else. First time and last time I ever did that. I cleaned her up and save the heart and liver. And when I got home that's what I had for breakfast the next morning eggs and deer heart.

But I have always remember it, the shot that went in between the deer's legs and she didn't run away.

Carl <------------<<<<

Posts: 1980 | From: St. Paul,MN | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OkKeith
Contributor 2010
Member # 10984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OkKeith   Email OkKeith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not just my story…

On my wife Lisa’s first archery turkey hunt we were in the blind together. We spent most of the morning with a back and forth discussion about whether or not I could hit one of the many mosquitoes that were plaguing us. My position was that yes, I could probably hit one with my bow at only twelve yards but I was worried that due to their size I may not kill it and then we would be trapped in the blind with a wounded and angry blood sucker on the rampage. This is not the story.

At just after noon we got a response to my always horrible work on the box call. An apparently tone deaf Tom gobbled back at what Lisa (lovingly) calls my “horrible noise meant to scare cats and other hunters from the surrounding country”. We saw him across the field coming our way. Using my meager skill on the slate call I caused the bird (due to brain worm or a death wish) to move closer to the blind. Finally at 15 yards the bird turned quartering away and came off his strut. Lisa put an arrow behind the forward drumstick with her vintage Red Wing Hunter recurve. The bird made one big pump of his wings and crash landed a few yards into the woods. This is not really the story either.

I have never been one to leap from the blind or carom out into the field after shooting a turkey. If the hit is good, they are dead and not going anywhere… if not, my hope is that they die where they land or leave a decent enough blood trail or other obvious spore that they can be found. I have been blessed to have not lost a bird yet, including this one. Here is where the story really begins.

We left the blind and walked to where the bird indelicately lay with his wings out stretched and his neck crumpled underneath him. I took an arrow from my quiver and gave a good poke (they have those spurs for several reasons). He seemed as dead as the door nail so often talked about. I grinned at my wife as the proud husband I was. She reached down and gathered both legs in one hand to lift him. Her firm grip seemed to put life back into the bird who tried to fly away. She stood there bow in one hand and appearing to fly a living kite only feet from her astonished face. Now… Lisa is a smart gal. She dropped her bow and tried to apply both hands to the bird but it wrenched free of her grasp and (something less than) flew over the short bench and down into the flowing creek. I dropped my bow and was in hot pursuit immediately! By the time I reached the creek bank the bird was nearly across (I didn’t know turkeys could swim!). I bailed into the spring rain swollen torrent reaching to my belt for the knife there. As the bird began struggling up the far bank I drew back and threw the blade with desperation. From just over ten yards the point found home at the base of the bird’s skull killing it instantly.

Time for honesty… first I have no idea why that bird was still alive enough to make that escape. The arrow had passed all the way through the body cavity and disrupted both lungs, the heart and broke the wishbone in two. Second, I had no intention to actually skewer the turkey with the blade of the knife. My thought was to simply hit the dirt above it and slow it down enough to get hold of. I would have probably been better off grabbing a stone from the stream bed, BUT… when providence smiles, its best to smile back and make nice.

Lisa got a beautiful bird with five beards, a spectacular tail and we had Turkey Parmesan for supper.

--------------------
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 875 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©