3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Donald Hoffman

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Your MOST Unbelievable HUNTING shot(s) (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Your MOST Unbelievable HUNTING shot(s)
Sockrsblur
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 35720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sockrsblur   Email Sockrsblur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I'll ask... where is Charlie Lamb? [bigsmyl]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Posts: 2202 | From: NY | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D. Key
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 3106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D. Key   Email D. Key   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine was more of a self defense move than anything. No...It wasn't on the Plains of Africa against a 500 pound Black Mane Male Lion or Kodiak Island against a 1200 pound Kodiak Brown Bear, it was in a ground blind in Central Texas a few years ago while deer hunting. I was hunting an oat food plot, sitting against an scrub oak tree when a killer 2 pound fox squirrel decided I looked like a 180 pound acorn. He came at me with the intent to kill and eat me (alive if necessary). I've seen hundreds of squirrels in my days but this one was on a Seal Team 6; Search and Destroy mission to take no prisoners. In an instant after he saw me he leaped from an adjacent oak onto the top of my back rest oak and closed the distance in about 1/2 of a second. Like a flash he was barking and chirping unlike anything I had ever heard. Instinctively (and out of complete fear for my life), I stood and drew my Morrison Cheyenne recurve, just to shoot in his direction, in an effort to distract him from his "Mission to Kill". To my disbelief the Cedar shaft with a Zwickey Black Diamond entered just behind the head and pinned him to the oak, only 18" away. Heaven only knows what would have happened if my instinctive shooting skills had not taken over for me and saved my life.

--------------------
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Posts: 2116 | From: Jasper, TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, this was unbelievable. . . Went hunting with two buddies when I lived in the Memphis TN area, a long time ago. We drove to the site together and then split up to hunt. Mid morning, I hear something approaching, but it didn't sound like a deer. Here comes buddy #1, head down, talking to himself. He asked if he could borrow an arrow so he could keep hunting. ? ? ? ?

Well, at first light, a big ol skunk walked under his tree and he nailed it. . . to the ground. It started fighting and fussing and SPRAYING and so he kept shooting. Quiver completely empty (6 arrows), he climbs down and runs to buddy #2, tells the story and they go back to his tree where B2 shoots almost all of his arrows (5) at the skunk before he stops moving. At which time they discovered the skunk was standing on a gravel bar, just under the dirt and all of the arrows were toast.

To make it worse, after we loaded for the drive home, he took off real fast onto the highway and his spit can (we all chewed like hell back then) came tumbling off the dash and spilled all over.

Yup. . unbelievable
ChuckC

Posts: 7356 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are great. Yeah, the Tent shot is pretty unique and unbelievable. Right up this threads ally.

Keep them coming.... [campfire]

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 31278 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KyRidgeRunner
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 37301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KyRidgeRunner   Email KyRidgeRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love this thread... No amazing stories to tell but have enjoyed everyone else's!
Posts: 445 | From: ky | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
habujohn
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for habujohn   Email habujohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the stories, Barry Wensel should tell his mountain lion tale on here. I have a few but my favorite was a bear hunt that I did in Northern Michigan back in the early 80's. The week long archery bear season was on it's last day in early October. The bear of my dreams is coming in from the south but stops on a windfall some 50 yards out and sits there checking the wind. He gets his break as the wind swirls in his favor and with out hesitation he bails off the windfall. I knew the area very well and soon he was on a well worn trail that wraps around me. The bruin is moving at a lope and from my left to right. There is a very small gap between two poplar trees and the runway is right behind the trees that the bear is heading up. My bow comes up and just before his nose hits the opening I let her loose. The 2117 shaft tipped with a big old snuffer cuts through the chest and out the other side, sticking in the dirt as the bear puts it into overdrive. He makes the top of the ridge and piles up, my first P & Y bear on the run at 32 yards.

--------------------
habujohn

Posts: 600 | From: Kingsford Michigan | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tim roberts
Contributor 2017
Member # 6228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tim roberts   Email tim roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a long, hard day on the water, first time shooting carp in the deep stuff. The fish were far, few, and not much but baking sun in between. After searching all the places the fish should have been, we went looking else where, along our way, I noticed four fish in a group, all swimming away from us, as I approached full draw, I mentally realized that these fish were about 15-20 feet out, and about 5 feet deep, about the end of my range in that deep of water, while not wanting the narrow profile of a fish swimming away, I hesitated a few seconds, and one decided to turn, as he turned I dropped my arm just a bit and let it go. The bubble trail hid the sight of the arrow, and a few seconds later the fish was letting me know that the arrow had connected, upon landing him I found it to be center of the body!
Thanks,

--------------------
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Posts: 1581 | From: Fort Benton, Montana | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GDPolk
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 36712

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GDPolk   Email GDPolk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My best shot to date wasn't hunting.

I was practicing with a fiend. It was hot and sunny so we were under the only good shade tree and shooting at tennis balls thrown out randomly. There was a hornet that came out and wanted us out of the shade. Well we didn't like it and I was having a good day so I told Michael that I'd shoot the hornet. Well I drew back an arrow with a field point on it and let it loose. I split the hornet in two on my first shot at him between his head and thorax. My buddy still talks about that shot today.

--------------------
Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbow - 53.5lbs @ 29"
GT Traditional 5575 - 225gr up front for 22% FOC

Posts: 1437 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe ashton
Contributor 2013
Member # 11463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe ashton   Email joe ashton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My most memorable shot was a clean kill shot on a 5X5 Bull Elk. I was 12 feet up a ponderosa and the bull was 5 yards away. I will always be able to see that shot in my mind...!

--------------------
Joe Ashton,D.C.
pronghorn long bow 54#
black widow long bow 55#
21 century long bow 55#
big horn recurve 58#

Posts: 4270 | From: colorado | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Lyon
Charter Member - Contributor 2017
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Lyon   Email Ray Lyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by elkken:
Now this tent was WAY down the mountain, I mean a little spec, I was shooting a Cascade Nighthawk Magnum and Dale was shooting a Brackenbury Legend. Dale pulls back the Brackenbury and arches a shot toward the sun and down the mountain. When it hit the tent it let out a popping sound like a big ballon.

That's the stuff that (Brackenbury) Legends are made of. [laughing]

--------------------
Shrewhaven Lodge co-chef

Posts: 4354 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Ray said, sometimes there are witnesses...as was the 1st one I posted about and this one I was with Tom Phillips. ....

Tom and I had got on some angora goats the 1st day, and these were in the same area...only about 75 yards farther over the top this time.

We were putting a pretty good sneak on em even though they were coming toward us quartering off to our right.

Tom and I had made it to a row of scrubs, and was set up to let them pass.....but we weren't sure that would happen the way they were feeding along the edge of some grass. We were trying to decide, and leaning pretty hard at making an aggressive move across a wide open and barren distance to get in behind some cedars at the edge of the grass....but they were less than 100 yards away. We leaned hard, but continued to hold, as we had the wind in our favor if they passed us out of range for a stalk from the rear. No need in blowing it just yet........

We held too long, and had no choice but to wait.....and that was a good thing. They were now facing us and walking across a sheet of rock....the 8 of them turned into 16, and the 16 turned into 24....then there were about 30 of them in route to pass right by our scrub blind.

Three of them drifted to the right, including the one with the biggest horns, and were coming straight at us as the rest of the herd were in route to pass to our right.......yeah, every one would be in range soon, real soon as there was no forage in their path.

Everyone of them was now in range and all but a few were in the wide open for a shot, but the one I wanted was still in front with the brush blocking a shot. I decided to hold yet again for the one I wanted....the Billy.

Tom was to my left and I was bending over with my head in the cover. I'd left my feet planted away so I would have clearance to shoot by just straightening up from the waist. The one I wanted was only 15 yards away now........then one of the nannys spit.....and spit again. This alerted the whole herd, and the one I wanted perked up to see what the problem was.

My 'Billy' started strutting to the right to see what the fuss was about, and just as 'he' was about to present a perfect broadside shot, the herd started to skeedattle.....as did my 'Billy'.

'He' started galloping as he entered the wide open terrain quartering away. All I remember was swing drawing, and the next thing I remember was watching my arrow intercept 'him' just about perfect.

My prize only made it about 30 more yards or so, and collapsed by a tree in plain view. But my 'Billy' turned out to be a big Nanny [Big Grin]

-

--------------------

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Posts: 31278 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mudd
2017 Contributor
Member # 184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mudd   Author's Homepage   Email Mudd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"T" I guess that's what one would call extreme "ground shrink"....lol

Good shooting bud!!

God bless,Mudd

--------------------
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Posts: 12024 | From: Ashland,Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Lyon
Charter Member - Contributor 2017
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Lyon   Email Ray Lyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudd:
"T" I guess that's what one would call extreme "ground shrink"....lol

Good shooting bud!!

God bless,Mudd

X2 Mudd

--------------------
Shrewhaven Lodge co-chef

Posts: 4354 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Actually not Mudd....she was the biggest horned nanny not only seen but killed that week by far the whole trip and there were about 12 of us there.

Her horns were as big as I though, I just thought she was a smaller 'he'.

--------------------

Wallydog
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wallydog   Email Wallydog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was about 13 yrs old and was walking to school with 2 buddies who used to come every morning. We walked past a walnut tree and I picked up a big one off the ground. A red squirrel poked his head out from around behind the tree and was giving me the business. Only his head and shoulder was sticking out. I side-armed that walnut and caught him flat upside the head. He dropped like a wet rag. I was 10 yds away.
Posts: 140 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©