3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

memo

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Getting Started in Traditional Archery for Bowhunters (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Getting Started in Traditional Archery for Bowhunters
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i keep getting asked for requests to this article so it might as well be a sticky topic here at the powwow ...

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

--------------------
IAM ~ Black Powder Gang ~ TANJ ~ TGMM ~ NRA Patriot Life ~ NRA RSO

Posts: 9969 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkhunter-27
Contributor 2016
Member # 44229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkhunter-27   Email elkhunter-27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this. I used a recurve 40+ years ago and then got into compounds. This year I decided to get back to traditional, it's been a long learning curve and I'm sure this article will help immensely. Thanks, again!
Posts: 146 | From: New York | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GECybulski
Member # 44374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GECybulski   Email GECybulski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very good article. Thank you.
Posts: 1 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drywood
Member # 44203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drywood   Email Drywood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elkhunter-27 after 30 years with compounds ,I had a rotater cuff operation and rehab 4 years ago . I went to recurves ,in lighter weights but it took me years to hit my target. Like you say it is a long learning curve but you will win in the end
Posts: 8 | From: Battle Creek,Michigan | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
markbrit
Member # 40668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for markbrit   Email markbrit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good read!
Posts: 64 | From: NJ | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deno
Contributor 2017
Member # 44244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deno   Email Deno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great article
Deno

--------------------
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5 65#

Posts: 370 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarefreeMike
Member # 44428

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CarefreeMike   Email CarefreeMike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Newbie here,

This site was recommended to me on a Fred Eichler's facebook page. I have shot a compound bow most of my life but just got a new longbow for Christmas. I have never shot a longbow before and want to learn how to shoot it 'the right way' and not form any rookie bad habits. I live in Phoenix AZ on the north end of town.

My set up is a little flexible but for now I was planning on using my longbow(55# 68" PSE Sequoia) with Beman ICS Hunters with 100 gr points. They have vanes on them right now but I was going to get some feathers put on them and then go practice at the range. What do y'all think?

--------------------
I, Hatchet Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs, do leaveth my rifle to the next thing who finds it, Lord hope he be a white man. It is a good rifle, and kilt the bear that kilt me. Anyway, I am dead. Sincerely, Hatchet Jack.

Posts: 4 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi mike and welcome to trad gang.

there probably will be a HUGE holding weight and length diff'rence 'tween yer compound and a 55# @ 28" longbow that's 68" long. what may seem easy to do in a comfy situation could be a struggle during a cold time at a brushy/tree hunt venue. that may well be yer first hurdle.

you might wanna peruse the article this thread is about - Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

--------------------
IAM ~ Black Powder Gang ~ TANJ ~ TGMM ~ NRA Patriot Life ~ NRA RSO

Posts: 9969 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarefreeMike
Member # 44428

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CarefreeMike   Email CarefreeMike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks rob

I know that it is gonna take some conditioning to get my arm and shoulder to be able to pull 55# bow but I think I am up to the challange. I read the article you posted in the first email that I received from Trad Gang and I love that advice. I love archery and bowhunting but I don't get the opportunity to hunt very often but I do shoot a lot(archery & firearm). I am not extremely concerned with my ability to bowhunt with the longbow but I would like to be an excellent instinctive archer.

--------------------
I, Hatchet Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs, do leaveth my rifle to the next thing who finds it, Lord hope he be a white man. It is a good rifle, and kilt the bear that kilt me. Anyway, I am dead. Sincerely, Hatchet Jack.

Posts: 4 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaunaro
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaunaro   Email beaunaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am certainly not an expert traditional archer, but what you are thinking is correct...it is a long learning curve to become proficient.

I think we all struggle at times,but if the most pure fun of archery is what you desire, then trad shooting is where it's at.

Each archer has "his or her" own techniques that work for them, but the most important thing is to be consistent...same anchor point,same draw regimen,same grip,same hold or sight picture of the target, same release, etc.

There are many good books and videos on the subject, but what really helped me was to get a coach or instructor.

Rick Welch, Rod Jenkins, Byron Ferguson, Arnie Moe...to name a few.

If you consult them first, you wont have as many bad habits to unlearn.

A few days with one of these guys at a clinic or individual instruction works wonders and is not expensive in the big scheme of things.

JMHO

Welcome and Good Shooting

--------------------
Irv Eichorst

Posts: 811 | From: Monticello, WI. | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corey713
Member # 44486

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Corey713   Email Corey713   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone, Im pretty new to the traditional archery thing. I have shot compound for about 15 years now, but the fun just isn't there anymore. On top of that there is just to much to rely on with compounds, and there just isn't that connection with the bow. So after lots of shopping and talking with different people at archery shops i go to. I was pointed in the direction of Jim Belcher and Sky archery. Jim and his wife are awesome, Great people great shop and amazing bows. Since i have purchased a trophy long bow 30#@28" 66" and a Thunder recurve 55#@28" 56". I was wondering if anyone could help me to decide on what arrows to shoot. I have been playing around with some old aluminum's that I threw some feathers on. I like the larger diameter but they are just plain old heavy. was thinking cedar but i know nothing about cedar arrows. Anything would be a help.

Thank you all

--------------------
Good things come to those who shoot straight

Posts: 3 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
achigan
Contributor 2016
Member # 39387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for achigan   Email achigan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Corey! I'd give one of the sponsors a call. Big Jim's Bow Company has taken good care of me, as has 3 Rivers. Lost Nation Archery is good as well. j

--------------------
PBS Associate
"The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places. Indeed my heritage is beautiful to me."

Posts: 621 | From: Terre Haute, Indiana | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OkieBowHunter11
Member # 44714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OkieBowHunter11   Email OkieBowHunter11   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of great info here also a newbie so it was much appreciated I will be getting into a lighter bow tomorrow can't wait to see what it's about.

--------------------
"Take Your Bow And Quiver Full Of Arrows An Go Out Into The Country To Hunt Some Wild Game For Me"

Posts: 78 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tedd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tedd   Email Tedd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good. Our state game news should have a column like that. I think a lot of bowhunters might use trad equipment if they could just get a start.
Posts: 2450 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pabow1967
Member # 44934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pabow1967   Email pabow1967   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first post here on tradgang!! Great article..I have made the switch to traditional after 30 years shooting compounds and I'm very excited. Just got a Samick Journey 40# and cant wait to pick it up and get shooting.
Thanks again for allowing me in and thanks for a great article

--------------------
Aim small and shoot straight

Posts: 1 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©