3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Steven "memo" Dimitrakellis

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Tuning a Bear Kodak Magnum (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tuning a Bear Kodak Magnum
John Wesley
Member # 45280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Wesley   Email John Wesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any advice on tuning this bow? Got my arrow length good. Got my nocking point as good as I can get it. No matter where my nock is it always shoots nock high. I've heard people talk about adjusting brace height. Haven't had time to mess with brace night much. It's good enough that the fletchings correct it fine and it shoots good. It's just frustrating not having it timed perfectly.

--------------------
"The truth is I'm always saddened when I kill an animal. It's not remorse I feel, I know why I'm a hunter. It's out of respect. Sometimes hunts go quick,sometimes they take years..but there's always a story and one that's usually worth telling."

Posts: 16 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M60gunner
Contributor 2017
Member # 6337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for M60gunner   Email M60gunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe shaft bouncing off the shelf? Unless you are torquing the string a nock height adjustment should take care of that. If your using your ring finger more than the other two to draw the sting you will put down ward pressure on the string which cause the arrow to bounce on the shelf.
A better explanation can be had watching Ken Beck's video on YouTube. Until I saw it it I did not realize I was doing that except for the calluse on my ring finger.

Posts: 2126 | From: Sun City, Az. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
singlestring
Member # 10400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for singlestring   Email singlestring   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brace height took care of mine. Was going nick high also and couldn't get it straight. Mine is set at 7 1/2.

--------------------
52" Bear Kodiak Magnum #45@28"
52" Triumph #49@28"

Posts: 61 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Wesley
Member # 45280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Wesley   Email John Wesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you M60gunner. I'll check the video out. And thank singlestring. I'll try upping my brace height. It's at 7 1/4 now. I looked around online and seen that a few people where going up as far as 8 inches

--------------------
"The truth is I'm always saddened when I kill an animal. It's not remorse I feel, I know why I'm a hunter. It's out of respect. Sometimes hunts go quick,sometimes they take years..but there's always a story and one that's usually worth telling."

Posts: 16 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graps
Contributor 2017
Member # 39874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine shoots best at 8"

--------------------
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow. " Fred Bear
Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows. Matthew 10:31

}}}}}=========€ >

Posts: 2198 | From: Sparta , Michigan | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snow Crow
Member # 42714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snow Crow   Email Snow Crow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, my 48# Grayling KM likes 8.5" and my 55# Gainesville KM likes 8.25" for brace heights.

Both set at 5/8" nock height, 29" OAL 400 carbons with 250 grains up front. 28.5" draw, 3 under.

--------------------
Wanted: Crow willing to fly into my arrow. Blind, deaf and dumb preferred. Mute a bonus. One wing would be good. No legs. With vertigo...

Posts: 59 | From: MN | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbd870
Contributor 2016
Member # 39974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbd870   Email dbd870   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shot my Grayling KMag at 8.5".

--------------------
A Grizzly and a SuperMag

Posts: 979 | From: IN | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
Contributor 2014
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How tight are your nocks?

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7222 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackhawk
Contributor 2016
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackhawk   Email Blackhawk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think your 7 1/4" is rather low, but then again, bows and shooters all have different requirements.

I have a few of these KMags and find all of them shoot better for me in the 8-9" range. Yes, I even have a 60's version that has to be at 9" to tame the noise. Good luck...

--------------------
Lon Scott

Posts: 5698 | From: Auburn, Washington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
Contributor 2014
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://youtu.be/BSJ6-HjPMTM

--------------------

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7222 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
Contributor 2014
Member # 24907

Yeah, 8.5" is a good place to be on many Bear models.

--------------------

John Wesley
Member # 45280

Ok. Thanks everyone. I think I'll try upping it to 8 to 9. See how it shoots then I'll update. Hopefully with better results

--------------------

Orion
Contributor 2017
Member # 2759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orion   Email Orion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to a brochure I have, Bear recommends a brace height of 7-8 inches for the KMag, but I agree with others that you'll do better with it on the high end.

Keep in mind, too, that it's just plain difficult to get off the string consistently cleanly with a short bow, particularly if you have a longer draw.

One or more of the things already mentioned -- brace height, nock point height, nock tightness, etc. -- could be the problem, but it could also be your form. Good luck.

Posts: 8541 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mahantango
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mahantango   Email mahantango   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always shot mine at a minimum of 8".

--------------------
We are all here because we are not all there.

Posts: 1129 | From: central Pa. | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steelhead
Contributor 2014
Member # 9220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steelhead   Email Steelhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Higher brace height sounds good and you might try a featherest if that does not work
Posts: 4880 | From: Lake Orion MI. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©