3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Manolito Munoz

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Critter population management 2017-18 (Update 11/14) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Critter population management 2017-18 (Update 11/14)
Bowhunter4life
Member # 518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowhunter4life   Email Bowhunter4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While driving out to the stand yesterday morning seen two deer... a ear wide 8-point less then two blocks from the house and what I think was a doe in a small open field just outside of the hunting zone... There's a lot of land outside the hunting zones they can be unharassed...

Was in stand before light, and pretty quiet until 10:00 or so... heard a twig break behind me and when I looked over my shoulder there was another small buck standing less then 10 yards away! He was safe from me as we are only allowed two bucks and one needs to have at least 4 points of 1" or more on one side... With the wind from Hurricane "Nate" I guess I just couldn't hear him approach... He didn't come in on any trail, just browsing on the brush, and continued to do so right out in front of me... plenty of opportunities for a shot had it been legal to...

He fed around for the better part of an hour and finally went back the way he came... Decided to try and get a pic with my phone as he was doing so... Can you find him?

-

Cropped it up a bit...

-

Nice to know he is around as I need to be careful in the early and late light times...

Nothing else to post at this time, other then the hunting pressure still seems minimal... Might just grab my climber and head into the scrub to a set of 4 mature Oaks I'd found last year and see if they're dropping...

--------------------
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Posts: 5258 | From: Georgia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John146
SPONSOR
Member # 26049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John146   Email John146   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go!!!!

--------------------
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Posts: 1110 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats and good shootin!

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17129 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lt-m-grow
Contributor 2015
Member # 3873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lt-m-grow   Email lt-m-grow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice. Congrats and nice shooting. Pretty stout draw weights you shoot there too.
Posts: 1215 | From: Mount Horeb, WI | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go Jeff!!! Great stuff!!

Glad you bloody that bow good and proper that's what she deserves remember I get first dibs on it if you decide to sell it.

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 30762 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowhunter4life
Member # 518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowhunter4life   Email Bowhunter4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been out of town for about a week, went out this morning and did see one deer for a brief couple seconds walking into the area rather then out of the area like expected... Couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe, couldn't get a shot anyway as it was 40 yards away walking through the scrub... That was the first deer I've seen at that set that didn't give me a shot opportunity.

Keeping after it, and hopefully I'll have a more interesting update soon. But, looking at the tracks on the trail coming out this morning it seems like there are more deer around since Muzzle Loader season opened last week, and gun season opens tomorrow. Tends to push them out of the "Gun" zones if they don't get shot, and more deer in the "Bow" zone.

We'll see how it goes...

--------------------

Posts: 5258 | From: Georgia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Turner
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2264

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Turner   Email Bill Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed the story and congrats on your success. If you don't mind me asking what cover scent are you using? Sounds like what ever it is it is doing a good job. [thumbsup]
Posts: 4028 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowhunter4life
Member # 518

Was in the stand Saturday evening, and little after 5:00 I hear something coming my way directly towards me on the escape trail Iím watching...

I get ready, and see movement through the scrub and itís black... Then seen another bigger black critter about 15 yds behind the first... Figuring it was a group of hogs I stood and prepared for a shot...

But, when the first one moved into my first shooting lane it wasnít a hog! It was a 100# or so Black Bear! So I just watched as it moved down the trail... the second one got to the first shooting lane and it was about a 200# Black Bear!

Well, Black Bears are not on the ďCritterĒ list to be taken out (season isnít open now anyway) so they were safe from me. Just watched them walk the trail and pass on by at 10 yards at their closest... I was told at the Safety Briefing that there were Bears around, especially in the Bow Zone, but those were the first two Iíve seen while hunting this area... Figure it was a Sow and a year old cub given they were traveling together...

Pretty neat to see, but also wish they werenít hanging around the area at the same time...

--------------------

Bowhunter4life
Member # 518

11/5: Been some rough hunting... Very few critters seen while on stand, and havenít loosed an arrow with purpose in quite a while... But, that changed today...

No wind this morning, foggy, 59 degrees when I got into the stand. The woods came to life without incident, but about 10:45 I heard movement near my second shooting lane, and it sounded big! Replaced my arrow with the Big Jim Big-3 on the end for a 300 gr VPA Penetrator 1 1/4Ē...

Then like clockwork it cleared into my shooting lane at 18 yds, I hit anchor and the arrow was on the way! Hit looked good, but the arrow stayed in it... I could hear brush rustling for about 8 - 10 seconds then all went silent...

71# Thunderstick MOAB, weighted Goldtip with the a-for-mentioned 300 gr VPA Penetrator... Iíve never had an arrow stay in a critter with the Big-3, but with the shields on some of them big Hogs I always carry an arrow with the 2-blade Penetrator for the extra penetration... Was a little worried about the arrow still in it...

Gave it the allotted time and got down and took up the trail. Thankfully it was very short, and another critter down!

Iíll get pics up shortly...

--------------------

Bowhunter4life
Member # 518

Hereís the pics...
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Entrance...

-

Exit...

-

I think the ground slowed the arrow down to make it stay in her... [Big Grin]

I also use the Penetrator as a Squirrel/practice arrow... The thing is like a wood splitting wedge! Tough as nails, and sharpens back easily...

Sorry for the hoax, but havenít had a big game critter opportunity to share... Iíll keep at it, and keep yíall in the loop...

--------------------

J. Cook
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 20751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J. Cook   Email J. Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL

--------------------
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Posts: 1243 | From: Kannapolis, NC | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
South MS Bowhunter
Contributor 2010
Member # 16239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for South MS Bowhunter   Email South MS Bowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!] [bigsmyl]

--------------------
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Posts: 3988 | From: Mississippi | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
23feetupandhappy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 23feetupandhappy   Email 23feetupandhappy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehehe [nono]

Nice shooting [archer]

--------------------
The Lord Is My Provider......

Posts: 1458 | From: Eastern Iowa | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESP
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESP   Email ESP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that story.
Posts: 300 | From: ohio | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowhunter4life
Member # 518

quote:
Originally posted by 23feetupandhappy:
Hehehe [nono]

Nice shooting [archer]

Actually missed, was trying for the head! [Wink]

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©