3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Manolito Munoz

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Shrew Crew (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Shrew Crew
Ron LaClair
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron LaClair   Email Ron LaClair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had some warm days early in the week but then it turned cold. The old Fisher wood stove kept the cabin snug and warm. The big kettle on the stove kept hot water available all the time.

-

--------------------
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

Posts: 5015 | From: Potterville Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stagetek
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stagetek   Email stagetek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing like a deer camp. Would love those days again.
Posts: 1416 | From: Pewaukee, WI. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron LaClair
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron LaClair   Email Ron LaClair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As usual, we eat good in camp. Here's Big Eric, Tim Cosgrove's Son-in-law fixing biscuits and gravy for breakfast one morning

-

Ray Lyon's apple pies from an old family recipe are legendary in Shrew camp. This is a deep dish apple cobbler he made that was desert the night he made Beef Wellington for us.

-

--------------------
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

Posts: 5015 | From: Potterville Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron LaClair
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13

About mid week, Eric 2 took this nice chocolate rack 8 point with his Shrew longbow, Heavy Hunter shaft and a Trailmaker broadhead. It was his first buck with a traditional bow.

-

-

--------------------

Ray Lyon
Charter Member - Contributor 2017
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Lyon   Email Ray Lyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a great time as always. Weather was WARM to start out. 75 degrees daytime high on the first day. That's not wool weather or condusive to bucks moving. 'Lil' Eric, who's not so little anymore, was super excited to bag his first buck. Being on a track at camp with the boys is always a great time. Pure elation on Eric's part. Lot's and lot's of does and fawns spotted, so the future is bright for the deer herd if Mother Nature is kind this winter.

Equipment high lights from camp include props to Trailmaker broadheads from Kustom King (OK, Tim Cosgrove, owner, is a camp member, however these heads get sharp and do the job. Eric hit that buck in the liver and it was down very quick.

The Northwooods blinds are incredible for anyone looking for a popup blind. Good camo, doesn't collapse in snow and it's super easy to set up.

Montana Pitch blend, this is an oldy but goody. Works on leather boots like a charm. I have a 25 year old pair of Cabela's Danner all leather boots and they are still kicking (every pun intended)and keeping my feet dry.

Ron LaClair's Shrew Hawk. It continues to amaze me how many times you grab for this, from reaching to hook something in the back of the truck that's just out of fingertip reach to making quick work of making a ground blind. Mine is going on five years now of tireless service.

Eagle's Rare bourbon. OK, we enjoy sipping on bourbon in camp and this is one that's 'a great value' for the price. About $30 here in Michigan, but compared to a $55 to $60 bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oak or Blanton's, it's a very good bourbon (not the same quality, but very good) for half the price.

Boiled dinner in camp. After 2 or 3 meals of red meats and potatoes, a good corned beef boiled dinner with carrots, potatoes, reutebega's and cabbage is second to none for keeping the system in check.

Roast black bear. You don't know what you're missing if you haven't had it cared for and prepared properly.

--------------------
Shrewhaven Lodge co-chef

Posts: 4336 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Lyon
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Lyon   Email Ray Lyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
Shrew Haven 2017 is history. I just got home yesterday. Here's some pictures.

The two Eric's planning their hunting strategy, I'm in the background listening so I might learn something. [Wink]

-

Let me correct that conversation between the Eric's Lobo..."Look Eric, if we don't eat some of the gourmet liver pate that Greg made in this container, Ron and Tim are going to polish it off and we won't have tasted any!!"

I've seen that look on Ron's face in the background before. It's the same as I saw on a dog with a big steak bone as another dog approached. [biglaugh]

--------------------
Shrewhaven Lodge co-chef

Posts: 4336 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron LaClair
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13

quote:
Equipment high lights from camp include props to Trailmaker broadheads from Kustom King (OK, Tim Cosgrove, owner, is a camp member, however these heads get sharp and do the job. Eric hit that buck in the liver and it was down very quick.
 -

--------------------

Warden609
Contributor 2017
Member # 9279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Warden609   Author's Homepage   Email Warden609   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really enjoy this thread. Thanks
Posts: 2649 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron LaClair
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13

Like Ray said, the first few days were unseasonably warm but it soon got cold enough to break out the wool. The wool bibs and wool jacket that I ordered from Teresa kept me warm and comfortable in my blind.

-

-

--------------------

Jon Stewart
Contributor 2015
Member # 12017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Stewart   Email Jon Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ron, you see many bear in your area? We hunted maybe 10 miles from your place in Sept and went 3 for 3.

Also any wolves? We also had many wolves on camera and had one run out in front of us while baiting.

Posts: 2911 | From: Norton Shores, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe ashton
Contributor 2013
Member # 11463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe ashton   Email joe ashton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent.

--------------------
Joe Ashton,D.C.
pronghorn long bow 54#
black widow long bow 55#
21 century long bow 55#
big horn recurve 58#

Posts: 4192 | From: colorado | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron LaClair
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13

quote:
Ron, you see many bear in your area? We hunted maybe 10 miles from your place in Sept and went 3 for 3.
Jon, the bears were in the area earlier when the berries were ripe, but we didn't see any the time we were bow hunting there. As for wolves, I didn't hear any but some of the others heard a few.

--------------------

D. Key
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 3106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D. Key   Email D. Key   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shrew Crew:

As a life-long Southern Boy (now 68 Years young) I always look forward to your adventures up North. I have hunted Black Bear in Manitoba, Idaho and Northern Arkansas but never Whitetails. Thank you for sharing your adventures with us and best of luck to all.

PS. I really love your cabin. Very nice.

--------------------
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Posts: 2098 | From: Jasper, TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron LaClair
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13

Shrew Haven is a place where there are no distractions. It is a place where like minded people get together to hunt in a wilderness environment and share their experiences with each other. A place where we can get away, even for just a short time the modern fast pace world that we live in the rest of the year. It's a place where we can relax and only worry about where we're going to hunt tomorrow.

-

--------------------

Ray Lyon
Member # 35

Doug,

Thank you for the kind words. It was a little 'Southern Boy' temperature early on. The cabin was built in the 1930's by the CCC. From the outside, when we saw them by the side of the road they looked broken down and trashed. However Ron went with one of the guys to look at them (6 of them were sitting there for sale), the insides were in incredible shape. We spent countless hours remodeling inside (building bunk room, filling in the chimney hole that went right through the floor where the current wood stove resides), running gas lights, building the kitchen, adding a metal roof and most time consuming was stripping, rechinking and staining the outside of the cabin. The floors and verticle pine paneling and windows are untouched and just as they were when built. Of course Ron's brought in some memorabilia to hang on the walls too. Ron loves the lazyboy chair by the stove, but my favorite is the big ole rocking chair Ron brought up from his shop. That sit's next to the front door.

--------------------
Shrewhaven Lodge co-chef

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©