3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Manolito Munoz

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Anyone not use a bow quiver while hunting (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Anyone not use a bow quiver while hunting
John Malone
Member # 46247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Malone   Email John Malone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a bow quiver for shooting pine cones or targets but never found one I liked to hunt with. I work with leather and wood as a hobby so I can make almost anything. But I find myself hunting with a nocked arrow and one in my hand. Anyone else do this?

--------------------
If I'm breathing, I have nothing to complain about.

Posts: 62 | From: Richmond County North Carolina | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nineworlds9
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 37028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineworlds9   Email nineworlds9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arrow in the hand to me sounds like a recipe for injury. I do the nocked arrow on spot and stalk depending, but that in itself carries some risk, but at least the bad end is out away from the body. I don't like bow quivers, to me they throw off the balance of the bow. I much prefer a good side quiver that encloses the arrows with a fletch cover. I'm also a fan of the Catquiver.

--------------------
54" Java Man Helms Deep
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
62" Cleland Stickbow
62" W&W Black Wolf + Uukha EX1's
70" HHA Black Mamba #46

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Posts: 7111 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOHO
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOHO   Email BOHO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heck no. Not in the thickets I hunt in. I actually put a strap on a kwikee quiver and throw that over my shoulder. Works pretty good.

--------------------
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Tom

Posts: 2501 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Malone
Member # 46247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Malone   Email John Malone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea why I typed in bow quiver I meant any type of quiver in general. Never used a bow mounted quiver.

--------------------
If I'm breathing, I have nothing to complain about.

Posts: 62 | From: Richmond County North Carolina | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
texbow2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for texbow2   Email texbow2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a cat quiver. I hunt mostly from tree stands and hang it on a hook in easy reach.
Posts: 185 | From: georgetown, texas | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpkiller
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep a single arrow on the bow. The rest in a side quiver.

Moving I have one relatively quickly.

On stand I have a fast second shot if needed (paid off twice so far).

--------------------
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 4019 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M60gunner
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 6337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for M60gunner   Email M60gunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No arrow on string. I have carried the arrow with my fingers about 3inches up from the broadhead. If I was to slip and start falling I can pitch the arrow away. But these days the terrain is just to unstable in the desert. I made one of those side quivers like in the “How to section” on this site.
Posts: 2194 | From: Sun City, Az. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a side quiver. I have never liked a quiver on my bow!

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11807 | From: Sonora, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom
2017 Contributor
Member # 2405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom   Email Tom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use a catquiver here and since hunting on the ground I just lean it against the tree where I sit-works well for me.

--------------------
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Posts: 3087 | From: Grottoes,Virginia, Shenandoah Valley | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rando
Contributor 2015
Member # 4754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rando   Email Rando   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're talking NO quiver... I definitely do not like the idea of carrying around unprotected broadheads! Too much opportunity to injure yourself or others, and depending upon what you're doing - lots of opportunity to dull your broadhead(s).
This is obviously your choice... good luck - BE SAFE!!

Posts: 310 | From: Oakdale , Minnesota | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbd870
Contributor 2016
Member # 39974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbd870   Email dbd870   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back quiver this year for me. My only complaint is you have to watch low branches when going through the thick stuff.

--------------------
A Grizzly and a SuperMag

Posts: 1010 | From: IN | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use bow quivers, back quivers, and a side quiver depending on the scenario and my mood.

Bow Quiver by far dominates. Unlike BOHO, I don't have a real problem with thickets and bow quivers. Once I push my bow through the brush, I've already pushed my arrows through....which I LIKE...cause I can SEE where my quiver is going and keep it from catching on stuff...and its also quieter.

Heck...sometimes I even use TWO quivers on one hunt...one for small gamer, and one for large game.

-

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 30764 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger Norris
SPONSOR
Member # 601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Norris   Author's Homepage   Email Roger Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Malone:
I use a bow quiver for shooting pine cones or targets but never found one I liked to hunt with. I work with leather and wood as a hobby so I can make almost anything. But I find myself hunting with a nocked arrow and one in my hand. Anyone else do this?

For safety sake please don't carry broadheads around without protection.

I favor the GFA quiver, don't care for bowquivers(although they are pretty convenient), and occasionally use a back quiver, especially for stumping and small game.

--------------------
"I think wolves would find me stringy, of high cholesterol, with an Irish whiskey aftertaste"
www.Tradwoodsman.com What the heck is an Arrow Canoe?

Posts: 3979 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ksbowman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ksbowman   Email ksbowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had trouble with bow quiver causing a bow to torque. Not all but, some. Started using a Catquiver this year and am really liking it. I like a Selway hip quiver for 3d and around the place. Hunting with it I have to wear a como hood over the fletch or they wave around to much for my liking.

--------------------
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Posts: 1872 | From: Paola,kansas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BAK
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BAK   Email BAK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you haven't cut yourself yet, you will. Tried that route back in the 60's. Get a quiver of some sort.

--------------------
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Posts: 1090 | From: NE Iowa | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©