3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Dalton Lewis

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Tell me about your hunting ILF rig (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tell me about your hunting ILF rig
KyRidgeRunner
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 37301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KyRidgeRunner   Email KyRidgeRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys. I’m looking at possibly getting an ilf rig to hunt with in the near future. What does everyone recommend? I like a bow around 58” long and I want the limbs to be no more than 45lbs. I hunt deer mostly and from a stand mostly however I do occasionally like to get into a blind that’s why I like something no longer than 58”. So what does everyone recommend? I’ve never had a ilf rig so just wanted to see what you guys that shoot them recommend in a hunting setup.
Posts: 430 | From: ky | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.B Cooper
Member # 46610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D.B Cooper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is a Morrison Phoenix 17" riser with Sebastian Flute Elite carbon and foam short limbs. I've had all kinds of ILF risers and limbs and this one is my favorite hunting rig.

--------------------
Morrison Phoenix 17" ILF Riser
SF Elite Carbon/Foam Limbs 52@28
Beman ICS Bowhunters

Posts: 17 | From: Washington | Registered: Sep 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nineworlds9
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 37028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineworlds9   Email nineworlds9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had a variety of ILF setups over the years. It depends a lot on what you want to spend. In your case, you have a specific parameter in the bow length (58") so that does limit the choices slightly, you'll want a riser that's 17" or less, depending on your draw length. I generally don't recommend short limbs for anyone but the shortest draw archers, but since you're wanting 45# or less that's less of a concern. You could find a 13 or 15" riser and use longs or mediums also.

My current setup and my favorite to date is the 17" Win&Win Black Wolf with Uukha limbs. The Wolf is a molded carbon fiber riser that is beautifully made and my favorite part is the high deflex which makes it very pointable much like a Border Covert Hunter. The Wolf also is neither too heavy nor too light, very similar to what a heavy wood riser would feel like. For your needs I'd consider risers from Morrison, Dryad and Zipper, and now recently even Stalker has gotten into the game.
The Uukha limbs come at different price points depending on the carbon content, what sold me on them is the unique construction which is basically impervious to weather, and the smoothness, which is so considerable you can even use a shorter length limb than you otherwise would. I use longs on my Wolf for a 62" bow, but I could certainly use mediums with no issue.
Most limbs and setups out there will outshoot any of us. I'd spend a little on the right riser and start with an inexpensive set of Oly limbs and rattle can them. This way you can have the riser you want, learn how to setup the bow, and later can start experimenting with the fancier limbs.

--------------------
54" Java Man Helms Deep
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
62" Cleland Stickbow
62" W&W Black Wolf + Uukha EX1's
70" HHA Black Mamba #46

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Posts: 7100 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NittanyRider
Contributor 2014
Member # 18475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NittanyRider   Email NittanyRider   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riser: I have a Morrison Phoenix 15" riser with a Jager low grip. The Jager grip is awesome! It is narrow and flat on the belly side, which is perfect for me because I press my palm (life-line to edge of thumb) against it and then softly wrap my middle finger around the front of the riser. The nice thing about the ILF risers is that you can always find a grip to match your form. Also, Bob set it up with a sealskin rest and I added a stubby cushion plunger which allows me to easily adjust for the two different diameter arrows I shoot.

Limbs: I have a few different sets of medium RC limbs ranging from about 35# to 50#. Medium limbs + a 15" riser makes a 58" bow. Regarding limbs... I've spent up to $695 on a set of foam/carbon limbs and as little as $150 for wood/glass limbs, and in my opinion, I don't think the $695 limbs out-perform the $150 limbs by all that much. They look cool, they are light, and probably have an edge in performance, but in my experience, carbon is more fragile and a bigger liability when your bow is getting knocked around in the deer woods. I'm not hard on my gear, but accidents happen. I recently bought a set of the BlackMax2.0 limbs (50# @ 28") from Lancaster Archery for $150. I've been really happy with them - they are the only limbs I am hunting with this year.

Adjustability: The Phoenix riser allows you to adjust the draw weight +/- 5 pounds. It also allows you to adjust tiller, which is really the only adjustment I use. I shoot 3 under, and I can adjust the riser to achieve even tiller for all my limbs. I don't like to be constantly tinkering with my gear. I like it to be reliable and ready to go when I practice or hunt. ILF bows give you the option to adjust draw weight, tiller, AMO length, limb type, grip type, etc., but since I did the initial tuning, I have not adjusted anything. I favor simplicity, with a little bit of flexibility mixed in, and to me, that's what the ILF bow delivers.

Posts: 394 | From: State College, Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reddogge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reddogge   Author's Homepage   Email reddogge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a rig I use for rabbits and small game because it's light and easy to carry. Morrison 17' riser and 45# BF Extreme limbs. 60" with medium limbs but could be 58" with short limbs.

-

This is a 3-D rig but I could hunt with it if I wanted to. Titan III and 45# BF Extreme limbs. 62" with medium limbs.

-

[ November 10, 2017, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Bowhunter4life ]

--------------------
PBS Reg member 1973
Maryland Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA

Posts: 5003 | From: Finksburg, MD | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M60gunner
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 6337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for M60gunner   Email M60gunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is not that expensive. Hoyt Excel riser with TT carbon/foam limbs. Riser is used, limbs were “scratch and dents” on sale. Got 2 doz. AO 2213 arrows and sniffers. This is my “resides in PA. bow”.
Posts: 2193 | From: Sun City, Az. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NittanyRider
Contributor 2014
Member # 18475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NittanyRider   Email NittanyRider   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reddogge - That's a great looking Morrison riser!

Any difference in shooting characteristics between the metal and wood risers?

Posts: 394 | From: State College, Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the bear in my avatar with a 17" Zipper riser with Dryad Static tip recurve limbs. The riser is Ebony and Zebra wood with moose antler overlays. Bow is set up at 45# @ 29".....Carbon Express weight forward arrows with Ace standards up front. Great shooting set up.

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 15790 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KyRidgeRunner
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 37301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KyRidgeRunner   Email KyRidgeRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info guys. So am I thinking correctly. For the most part if I dealing with ilf rigs the shorter the limb the less smooth it is compared to a longer limb? Also I’ll have to relate this to compounds because that’s what I know the most about. Is the longer riser bows more forgiving vs the short?
Posts: 430 | From: ky | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
batbow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 45784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for batbow   Email batbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought my ILF set up here on trad gang. Thanks Hawkeye!
Morrison gen 1 15 in riser and a set of Morrison gen 1 carbon foam limbs, these make a 58 in bow.
I also picked up a set of Dryad ACS RC limbs longs. These make a 60 in bow.
Currently running the Dryad limbs, very impressive speed and smooth.
These limbs are 40 lbs on a 17 riser, they are 44 lbs on this 15 riser cranked all the way in minus whatever I needed to get even tiller. Running a 530 grain arrow at 168 fps avg.
Definitely impressed with the speed at this weight arrow. My 49 lb Stalker Coyote with the same arrow is going the same speed! So I am drawing 5 lbs less and still have the same energy.
I love wood bows and the beauty of wood, but the aluminum ILF setup is really easy to get setup quickly and I feel like it's more responsive to the tweaks you make while tuning.

--------------------
Stalker Coyote 56, 49@28
Acadian woods carbon recurve 56 28@28
Black River 60 45@28
Browning Nomad Stalker 45# 28
Morrison 58, 47@28
Black Widow PCH 58 in 40#@28

Posts: 100 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hawkeye
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by batbow:
I bought my ILF set up here on trad gang. Thanks Hawkeye!

So glad you are still enjoying the setup so much. Those ACS limbs sound like winners, and it sounds like you made short work of the ILF learning curve!

Thanks for the good time we had putting the transaction together on the Classifieds.

Wishing you continued success with that Killin' Machine you have put together and tuned so well!

Daryl

--------------------
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Posts: 1858 | From: Central Illinois | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tecum-tha
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 5759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tecum-tha   Email tecum-tha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see much need for ILF at all. Most people who shoot these are constantly tinkering with new limbs, tiller this tiller that etc.
Defeats the purpose of simplicity.
Another thing is that people are trying to tune bows to them instead of tuning themselves to a bow. Tuning is brace height and nock point and a rough arrow tuning when you start out, as your shooting style is not fully developed yet.
To each their own...

Posts: 881 | From: Boonville,Indiana | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Whittler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Whittler   Email The Whittler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think most tinker with their gear even it's a self bow, it's the nature of the beast :-). Most of the post on this site and other sites prove we are all tinkerers one way or another.

How else can we keep our minds occupied.

Posts: 3246 | From: Northern Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tracker12
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 38129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tracker12   Email tracker12   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not tinker with my ILF rigs. I find a riser get some limbs, tune it up and shoot it. I never change the limbs and tiller for me it is always even. I just like the way they shoot. The ability bot change limbs while nice was never a reason why I bought the bow. The Titan with Jager grip is just a great shooter for me.

--------------------
T ZZZZ

Posts: 1784 | From: Maryland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
batbow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 45784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for batbow   Email batbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being a toolmaker/Machinist my entire career and building things since I was old enough to walk, i have a hard time not messing with things. Either improvements or just making it suit me.
I made my own knives from the age of 10 to about 21, made my own bolt action rifles and falling block rifles including the actions since I was 14. Made a few simple bows as a kid.
But I have never made a modern recurve or longbow, I highly respect these guys that make the beautiful bows, both ILF and conventional wood bows are mechanical art to me!
Sorry this is a little off the topic!
All bows = good stuff n fun.

--------------------
Stalker Coyote 56, 49@28
Acadian woods carbon recurve 56 28@28
Black River 60 45@28
Browning Nomad Stalker 45# 28
Morrison 58, 47@28
Black Widow PCH 58 in 40#@28

Posts: 100 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©