3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Dalton Lewis

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Trail camera recommendation (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Trail camera recommendation
scrub-buster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19472

Icon 5 posted      Profile for scrub-buster   Email scrub-buster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to ask Santa for a new trail camera. I've had good luck with a moultrie until the strap rotted away and it laid on the wet ground for a while. Since then it eats batteries and misses a lot of pictures. I replaced it with a stealth cam and I'm pretty disappointed with that one. The picture quality isn't as good as I was hoping for.

I have been looking at some Moultrie and Wildgame Innovations cameras. I'd like to stay in the $100-$150 price range. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? There are so many different models I can't decide which one would work best for me.

--------------------
AKA Osage Outlaw

Posts: 1306 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
batbow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 45784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for batbow   Email batbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been real happy with the Browning I bought this year.
Not sure which model it is right now, but it was around $150.
It came highly recommended by the staff at the store and a couple customers who were standing around while I was trying to make sense of the many choices- I have not been disappointed.

--------------------
Stalker Coyote 56, 49@28
Acadian woods carbon recurve 56 28@28
Black River 60 45@28
Browning Nomad Stalker 45# 28
Morrison 58, 47@28
Black Widow PCH 58 in 40#@28

Posts: 100 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mec lineman
2017 Contributor
Member # 29030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mec lineman   Email mec lineman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless something changes I will never buy anything other than Browning cameras. Command ops, Dark ops, strike force. They are great cams in my opinion.

--------------------
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!" Northern Mist Baraga , Kota Killum, Tall Tines Stickflinger ,Omega Imperial & Ten Ring strings

Posts: 650 | From: southern virginia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Browning strike force and like it. Very easy on batteries.
Posts: 11326 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark Willoughby
Contributor 2017
Member # 42619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mark Willoughby   Email mark Willoughby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the wild game innovations cams and have nothing but good luck with them. It's actually the only cam I use think I only paid like 50 bucks each for them , and they take great pictures and video

--------------------
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 919 | From: kentucky | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BAK
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BAK   Email BAK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a couple of the Walmart "Tasco" cameras this fall, only $24.88 @. They work as well as any others I've got. Never spending big bucks on cameras again.

--------------------
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Posts: 1086 | From: NE Iowa | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOHO
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOHO   Email BOHO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iíve had lot of different cameras and the browning I have now is by far the best Iíve ever had. Itís the blackout model so no flash what so ever

--------------------
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Tom

Posts: 2496 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mwosborn
Contributor 2017
Member # 21360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mwosborn   Email mwosborn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
x2 on the brownings - easy to use, great battery life, good pictures, never had a problem with any of mine - I have 6.

--------------------
Enjoy the hunt! - Mitch

Posts: 1492 | From: Albion, Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buckeye1977
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 44686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckeye1977   Email Buckeye1977   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a buddy that loves the covert cameras and he puts them through the wringer. I've only used stealth cam and Moultrie and between the two I'd rather have the Moultrie

--------------------
Nick

PBS Associate Member
Kemp Kwyk Styk 56" 47@28
Toelke Chinook 58" 47@28
Zipper 58" 58@28

Posts: 656 | From: OH | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scrub-buster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scrub-buster   Email scrub-buster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advice. I'll do some research on the Browning camera's.

Here is one of the reasons I don't like the stealth cam. The trigger time seems very slow. I get a lot of butt picures. When we drive down that trail in the center of the field it never takes a picture. When we go back out it takes a picture every time.

-

It did get some decent pictures of this guy.

-

--------------------
AKA Osage Outlaw

Posts: 1306 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
creekwood
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 5903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for creekwood   Email creekwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The Browning does a pretty decent job as long as the critter is not moving by too fast as it may only capture the butt because the shutter speed is not the fastest.

Posts: 825 | From: Linn County, Iowa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ARCHER2
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 11150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ARCHER2   Email ARCHER2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Covert. Good battery life, great pics, very dependable.

--------------------
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 1689 | From: Bastrop, Louisiana | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John146
SPONSOR
Member # 26049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John146   Email John146   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 2 Coverts and they are great.

--------------------
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Posts: 1109 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wild Bill MCP 808
Member # 36956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild Bill MCP 808   Email Wild Bill MCP 808   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use stealth cams I have had good luck with them the new G 42 ng was rated #1 recently I just bought one. Have not used it just yet but soon. I will let you know how the G 42 works out. My older stealth cam is over 10 years. As with technology all cameras get better each year.

Bill

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
60" Black Widow 52 @ 28
60" Thunderhorn 60@ 28
62" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
62" Hoyt Buffalo 50@28
Bear Kodiak Magnum 45@ 28
Bill Wilhelm

Posts: 79 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlacktailBowhunter
Contributor 2017
Member # 15933

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlacktailBowhunter   Email BlacktailBowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moultrie A5 is what Iíve been using for 5 years. Iíve had one go bad and another with a lazy lense, but for the price, theyíre hard to beat. I saw some Wildgame Innovations for $39.95 on sale at Dickís. I donít need any more cams or Iíd of tried one.

--------------------
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Posts: 924 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©