3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

John Deitterick

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Hunting cabins/camps (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hunting cabins/camps
nek4me
Contributor 2017
Member # 44724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nek4me   Email nek4me   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any more cabins and camps out there? Being relatively new here I don't recognize a lot of the posters in the thread from 5-6 yrs ago but there must be others to keep this going.

Anyway, a good read on cabin building and life I can recommend is:

Cabin - Two Brothers, a Dream, and Five Acres in Maine by Lou Ureneck

I got it at B&N a while ago and it's available online used for about four bucks.

Posts: 245 | From: MA and Northeast VT | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 26482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etter   Email Etter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I are currently in the process of buying a 3 bedroom cabin in the north ga mtns. It's basically centralized in my typical bear hunting areas. Its on 2.5 acres that butts up to the national forest. Not many deer but great bear and pig hunting with some turkeys thrown in. Great trout fishing too for both stockers and wild. Its all log exterior with a big wraparound porch set up high and beautiful interior. It's a bit nice for a hunting camp but I needed a place the wife and daughter would go too.

My family camp in PA is about 100 years old. Its a more typical camp with no power or water and gas lights

Posts: 445 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Krause
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Krause   Email John Krause   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put a one room cabin on my property down by Steelville, MO three years ago. It is 12x24 with 4 feet of that front porch. Off the grid. I have a small solar package for lights and such and a radiant propane heater for heat. 250 gallon propane tank and I use about 100 gallons a year.if you can drive to it the propane man can get to it. The place is 6/10 of a mile down a logging road off the gravel.

I thought hard about a wood stove but am glad I went with the propane heat. Pack in coolers and water and use a solar shower when warm enough. Outhouse, fire ring and pavilion for wood storage.

My advice is to do as soon as you can. The wife loves it and several friends enjoy it also.

Had pics on photo bucket but haven't got into the new one . Would send pics to someone if they want to post them for me.

--------------------
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow, his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Posts: 810 | From: Troy, Il | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Krause
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Krause   Email John Krause   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been playing with this Imgur. Let's see....

-

-

Outhouse

-

--------------------
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow, his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Posts: 810 | From: Troy, Il | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Krause
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1130

And a few inside shots...

-

-

-

The solar package is really neat. Plug to an outlet on the outside and it goes right to the breaker box which powers al the outlets inside

--------------------

Ron LaClair
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron LaClair   Email Ron LaClair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shrew Haven deer camp in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

-

Bringing a deer into camp up Armstrong creek

-

--------------------
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

Posts: 5019 | From: Potterville Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron LaClair
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron LaClair   Email Ron LaClair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Shrew Crew

-

Some of the guys by the main cabin which was built in 1936

-

-

--------------------
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

Posts: 5019 | From: Potterville Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ksbowman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ksbowman   Email ksbowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, that is a great cabin and setup. That gets you out in a quiet secluded area. Wonderful!

--------------------
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Posts: 1876 | From: Paola,kansas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron LaClair
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13

Inside the cabin on company night

-

--------------------

JakeD
Contributor 2016
Member # 44209

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JakeD   Email JakeD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ron, I always love the posts about shrewhaven. It really seems like a great place full of wonderful memories. If you wouldn't mind, could you give a little bit of history about it? I don't think I've ever seen anything about how long it's been around, how it originated, etc.

--------------------
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28
Maddog Prairie Predator 57" 45@28

Posts: 405 | From: Missouri | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TIM B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TIM B   Email TIM B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John- what solar package did ya get?
Tim B

Posts: 634 | From: MO | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Krause
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1130

-

Tim, It'a a Harbor Freight package. 3 15 watt panels hooked to a 750 watt solar charger. That goes to two marine batteries that are cabled as one. Then an inverter/converter is hooked to the batteries to turn DC into AC. The cabin was wired so I can plug into an outside outlet and power the breaker box. A heavy duty outside cord from the inverter to the outside outlet. Cord has male plugs on each end. Got to be careful. I plug into the cabin first then to the inverter and reverse order to undo. Other end is hot after plugging into inverter.

The power goes to the box as 2 legs of 6o instead of 120. Confused even a life long electrician friend. If you enlarge the pic you can see a small dog house (with removeable roof) where I keep it all. It is doing the job but will probably upgrade when it is time.

Too much information [Smile]

--------------------

TIM B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TIM B   Email TIM B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No not too much! That's great - thanks for taking the time to post that!! So if your going to upgrade - your probably not getting the juice ya need?
Thanks again
Tim B

Posts: 634 | From: MO | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MIBIGHNTR
Contributor 2017
Member # 36993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MIBIGHNTR   Email MIBIGHNTR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always very much enjoy the Shrew Haven pics!!
Posts: 381 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wooddamon1
Contributor 2016
Member # 26099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wooddamon1   Email wooddamon1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that solar set-up, might have to rig something similar. I have power at camp but would like to be as off-grid as possible just in case. Wonderful places guys, loving this thread.

[campfire] We need a little cabin "emoji-ma-callit" on here.

--------------------
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Posts: 4758 | From: Muskegon, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©