3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

John Deitterick

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Instinctive hunting distance you’ll shoot? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Instinctive hunting distance you’ll shoot?
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of the reason IO never kill deer is that I stink at judging distance. deer always seem farther away to me but when I pace it off usually they are a lot closer than I know I can hit...

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17172 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cory Mattson
Contributor 2016
Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cory Mattson   Email Cory Mattson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
25 yards is the distance I shoot every day - and I have good control at this distance in the field. Deer in my area are small I have 4 year old does that commonly run 80# so the target is not huge. I like to shoot deer at 15 yards - and hogs at 10. Bears too I prefer a 10 to 15 yard shot. Other game and larger game shooting a little further is OK. Big deer in WV 25 to 30 yards I am good.
<><
<---------------------<<<<<<<<<

--------------------
Savana River Bow Zone - Trad Bowhunting Club

Posts: 1450 | From: Work / NC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BWallace10327
Contributor 2017
Member # 15447

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BWallace10327   Author's Homepage   Email BWallace10327   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A "purely" instinctive shooting may not be concerned with distance.

--------------------
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Posts: 860 | From: Four Corner Area, Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpkiller
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but an arrow only travels 200 yards or so. ;-)

The 'ol "distance at which you can hit a gallon milk jug every time with the first attempt" rule-of-thumb.

--------------------
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 4057 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yard dog
Member # 46815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yard dog   Email yard dog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just getting back into trad.... My limit was about 18 yds with my osage selfbow that I made... Shot a scrub rack buck at 16yds that year !!! Next year, I passed up a surefire Boone and Crocket buck... Biggest buck I have ever seen alive.... I had him at 23 yds., and couldn't chance the shot... watched him walk off... I can still see it in my mind like it was today, but I have never once regretted that decision...
Posts: 2 | From: indiana | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbd870
Contributor 2016
Member # 39974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbd870   Email dbd870   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
15-20. I've had several deer in the 22-25 yard range that I have let walk in the 4 hunting seasons that I have been using traditional gear. Good on you yard dog - you are a credit to the clan!

--------------------
A Grizzly and a SuperMag

Posts: 1015 | From: IN | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red Beastmaster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Beastmaster   Email Red Beastmaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the old t-shirt saying from the early 70's, "If it feels good, do it!".

--------------------
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy. Coach John Wooden

Posts: 1745 | From: Meyersdale, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I practice in my yard, and I know, in general, how far I am to the target, I don't judge distance for a shot. I judge the sight picture, silly as that sounds. I like em close, maybe 20 yards max, but I prefer 15 and will take 5. I hunt from the ground, generally in my ghillie suit and a minimal ground blind. i mean minimal.. and there is no excitement like having a deer 5 yards away about to get shot. I can hit five yards.
Posts: 7322 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RedShaft
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedShaft   Email RedShaft   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My effect range is under 20 yards. I

--------------------
Respect All...Fear None!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Posts: 1806 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toddster
2017 Contributor
Member # 1722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toddster   Email toddster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I practice, like most I shoot at 20 yards some 30. But what I found is that shooting instinctively allows me to take shots, without range estimation. I have taken 4-5 animals, when I just looked and shot. Afterward, would of sworn they was 25-30 yards. Few when stepped off was 35-38 and one Doe (bigger than thought) was 42 yards away, which I could not believe made it. It just goes to show what good form, confidence does, over range estimation. I know for me, that when I let all else go and just "focus" on the spot, the shot happens, like it was meant to be.
Posts: 1276 | From: Decatur, illinois | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ha e shot a few critters over 20yds, but I’d say 95% were 15yds or less!

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11831 | From: Sonora, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
20 yards has been my usual limit with most shots at 12 to 15. I have taken 2 shots over the years that I later paced off at 30 yards, in both cases the arrow went right under the chest, clean misses.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13193 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hitting a deer target out to 45 yards is not that difficult, but it does take lots of practice at that range. I find it amazing how seldom any deer gives a shooting opportunity that one can take a shot over 30 yards. It happens, but not very often. One step and it is a bad shot. In over 40 years of deer hunting, I have and just four opportunities on deer that I was pretty sure they were unaware of me and would hold still. I got three, but the one that was feeding on a round bale of oats, took two steps while the arrow was in the air and I took hair off of the deer's tail. I had shot at that bale a bunch of times, I knew I could make an accurate shot, but who knew the oats on the other end of bale were better? Stuff can go wrong on long shots, but then stuff can go wrong on close shots as well.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5896 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YosemiteSam   Email YosemiteSam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still working on finding something legal to shoot at. But my limit is still 20 yards. I'm mostly a gap shooter but it's harder for me to screw up from 0-20 and too easy to do so past there under field conditions.

--------------------
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Posts: 646 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David McLendon
Contributor 2017
Member # 17606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David McLendon   Email David McLendon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like being close and having to wait for something to move far away enough to draw. I ground hunt, and a lot of that time is in a ghillie. But my longest shot was on the last day of a 10 day DIY elk bowhunt and it was double lung @ 37 or so yards. Followed by the bull turning 180 degrees and running downhill into the steepest, nastiest, tightest place full of deadfalls that he could find to die in. I'm comfortable accuracy-wise around 35 yards but over-story and time of flight can become a factor.

--------------------
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand, and my fletching is about as left-wing as I get.

Posts: 789 | From: Oak Ridge, NC | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©