3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

John Deitterick

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Instinctive hunting distance youíll shoot? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Instinctive hunting distance youíll shoot?
kevsuperg
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kevsuperg   Email kevsuperg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im in the "if it feels right" camp. When I stump shoot usually as soon as I see a target I try a shot at it and I'm usually pretty close if not spot on.
When I analyze the shot first, how far is it, etc etc I'm usually way more off.
With all that said, 25-30 yds at most is my limit, closer the better.
Just curious why on Small game you'd stretch your comfort zone.
They're animals too and deserve our respect as much as big game.

--------------------
USAF Medic 1982-1992
BHA, RMEF

Posts: 928 | From: Spirit lake, Idaho | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This afternoon, a 100 yard wide picked corn field with switch grass on the east side and west side, a cock pheasant flew from the east switch grass to the west switch grass. I had just previously took three 40 to 45 yard warm up shots with a judo in the picked corn,I was on today. I took out my token pheasant arrow, a cedar with a sharp 145 ribtec that had been shot once as flight check. At about 18 yards forward and left the pheasant took off. I was shooting left handed, I stepped into the shot and had a minor tangle with some taller switch grass. I pushed the bow free and was still seeing the right eyeball of the pheasant. I released. As the arrow left the bow, I noticed that i was looking at the back of the pheasants head, it veered a little. The arrow passed the right feathers hit the arrow as it passed by the pheasant that was 35 to 40 yards out at the time. A miss, but such fun. Later a doe came out, I was using a strap on tree seat, in a position that I could see the corn field, instead further back about 45 yards, she would have passed with in 15 yards of my normal spot, A buck, good body with the smallest goof ball eight point rack that I have ever seen was hot her trail, he went down the same trail, I would have taken a shot at him. A bit after that yearling does, a couple of spike bucks, button bucks and two fawns came filing out from every where at one time. I had 11 of them within 20 yards of me, the bigger mama of the two small fawns stayed out about 45 to 50 yards, while the others crowded around me. I think they must have been mesmerized by my white glassed Sunset Hill bow. Later another four came up and joined them further out in the field. Then one yearling or smallish doe came up from behind me on the same trail that walked on, until she was a few feet from me. I turned to say hello, she snorted and the whole gang ran off and I was all alone.. Point is, if a hard flying pheasant can have such close miss, why are deer that are standing still that same distance suppose to be so hard to hit? I took no shots at deer, but it is funny how the mind jumps to completely different program when contemplating a shot at a deer.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5896 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Treat
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Treat   Email Doug Treat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, it's the distance that I can put 90% of my shots, or better, in a 9" circle consistently. I write down misses and keep track, looking back after hundreds of shots. I used to shoot about 95% out to 30 yds but right now, it's under 20 for me.
I think a lot of bowhunters (trad and modern) have selective memories, meaning, they forget their bad shots or blame it on the sun in their eyes or something (like that wouldn't happen when shooting at game) but they remember the day last month when they nailed every dandelion they shot at out to 40 yards.
Another good test is to shoot a 3D shoot and step off the distances after you shoot. If you can't keep every shot in the 8 ring for all of your 25 yard shots, it's too far to shoot at game.
I've shot with guys who think they are good enough to shoot out to 30 yards but miss half of their 30 yard shots on a 3D
course.

Posts: 495 | From: Redding, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Treat
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Treat   Email Doug Treat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kevsuperg, for me I'm ok with longer shots at small game, say a rabbit, because if I hit it, I can usually run it down and catch it, the arrow will slow it down enough. Even on a 5 yard shot, I rarely hit the minuscule lungs of a rabbit anyway so a 40 yd hit is as good as a 7 yard hit. It's either a clean miss or a dead bunny. Hope that makes sense.
Posts: 495 | From: Redding, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevsuperg
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kevsuperg   Email kevsuperg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm cool with that Doug. Didn't want to put you on the spot.
Shoot straight my friend

--------------------
USAF Medic 1982-1992
BHA, RMEF

Posts: 928 | From: Spirit lake, Idaho | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BWallace10327
Contributor 2017
Member # 15447

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BWallace10327   Author's Homepage   Email BWallace10327   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Treat:

I think a lot of bowhunters (trad and modern) have selective memories, meaning, they forget their bad shots or blame it on the sun in their eyes or something (like that wouldn't happen when shooting at game) but they remember the day last month when they nailed every dandelion they shot at out to 40 yards.

Excellent point. Memories aren't stored like home movies in your head, but rather a collection of pictures that are assembled into a flip book when called upon. This manor of reccolection is a hindsight bias, the good old days phenomenon. For instance, I have taken plenty of 80 yard shots at a 3d deer target, but I don't recall most of them. Although the singular instance which my arrow arced into the upper 10 ring from that range is very memorable, I cannot stess enough that I'm not good to 80 yards shooting instictively just because all of the shots I remember at that range were great. [bigsmyl]

--------------------
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Posts: 860 | From: Four Corner Area, Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomadstalker
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 37752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nomadstalker   Email Nomadstalker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10 yards is my max distance at deer.
Posts: 183 | From: nc | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe ashton
Contributor 2013
Member # 11463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe ashton   Email joe ashton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thought process when a shot presents itself is not how far is that but rather 'can I make this shot.' Some times 'can I make this shot' is only 15 yards some times it's 25 yards... go figure.
But I set my tree stands up for 18yards and under.
[archer2]

--------------------
Joe Ashton,D.C.
pronghorn long bow 54#
black widow long bow 55#
21 century long bow 55#
big horn recurve 58#

Posts: 4226 | From: colorado | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingnut
SPONSOR - Charter Member
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wingnut   Author's Homepage   Email wingnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on the situation. I've passed on under 15 yds shots on elk and made 35 yds shots. It's how it "feels" at the time compared to your experiences.

Mike

--------------------
www.dryadbows.com
www.dryadbows.com/helleknives/index.htm

http://www.facebook.com/dryadbows?ref=ts
TRADGANG Sponsor since day 1

Posts: 9354 | From: weatherford, texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokin joe
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 15756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokin joe   Email smokin joe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
15 yards and less feels best, so thatís my yardage.

--------------------
TGMM
Compton
PBS

Posts: 2227 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokin joe
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 15756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokin joe   Email smokin joe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
15 yards and less feels best, so thatís my yardage.

--------------------
TGMM
Compton
PBS

Posts: 2227 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MnFn
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 15341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MnFn   Email MnFn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's kind of like one of my dad's best lines.

When talking about shoe sizes he said
"I can wear a nine, but a twelve feels a whole lot better."

I can shoot 20 yards or maybe a little more, but 15 feels a whole lot better.

--------------------
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella" Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Posts: 2056 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Orton
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 7480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Orton   Email Mike Orton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use my built in range finder....if I can spit a lugee at it and hit usually I can hit it with my longbow....head wind and tail wind are very important to my range finder. [Razz]

Bayonette charges are not out of the question either.

--------------------
Proud to be a "Deplorable Infidel".

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 932 | From: Southern California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowjunkie
Contributor 2014
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowjunkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With selfbows and wooden arrows in most of my situations here in Pa, stillhunting, I generally like to get within 20 yards or so of deer, but have taken them as cleanly as any I've killed out closer to 30.

I like to get closer to smaller, quicker animals like squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs, etc.

That said, it isn't a distance thing for me so much as it is a feeling when everything comes together, and it's time to pounce. I guess I've done it enough that recognizing those highest percentage shot opportunities happens without much conscious thought. If I have to think about it much, or 'force a shot' even a tiny bit, I hold the string.

I may pass one at 8 yards and kill the next at 25.

Posts: 2390 | From: Pa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shooting into the sunrise or sunset is a big limiter for me when I have glasses on. I had a small buck at 20 yards and a large doe at a longer shot last night. The evening sun lit up my glasses.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5896 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©