3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

John Deitterick

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » tree saddle? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: tree saddle?
Mint
2017 Contributor
Member # 5900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mint   Email Mint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very interested in getting one but are they really comfortable to hunt out of? Also, it seems like to would be perfect to get up in the branches to use?

--------------------
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1599 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boone the Hunter
Contributor 2017
Member # 16988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boone the Hunter   Email Boone the Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love my saddle! It's been my main hunting setup for over a decade. I've shot a lot of deer with my trad bows from it. I cut the upper straps off the ambush saddle so it's smaller and easy to pack, I keep it in my back pack with some extra tree steps. You can hunt anything from a crooked bush 8 feet off the ground to any normal setup. As mentioned there's a little getting used to it but once you figure it out it's comfy and it can be shot out of very nicely. I have dozens of trees setup in my hunting areas so I can bounce around like a squirrel depending on wind and such. I built a small platform that straps to the tree for if I'm sitting all day that fits in my backpack, works nice.

--------------------
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Posts: 435 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mint
2017 Contributor
Member # 5900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mint   Email Mint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for answering Boone on the comfort issue. Do you use the optional back support strap?

I'm going to buy the aero hunter kestrel and just know if i'll need the back suport strap or not. Seems like it is one more thingto adjust before I can take a shot.

--------------------
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1599 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boone the Hunter
Contributor 2017
Member # 16988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boone the Hunter   Email Boone the Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well funny enough I'd never heard of the kestrel before? I just looked em up they seem pretty sweet! I bought the old brand trophy line tree saddle years ago and have been so happy with it I've never looked at any others. My saddle with the upper straps cut off basically looks just like the aero kestrel hunter without the back support. That being said I have no idea how the back suppport may add to the comfort or if it would possibly get in the way. I sit all day often in mine during the rut and it's all about how you set it up weather your comfy or not. The angle of the tree, how your steps, platform or branches feel etc... I wear knee pads and that is hugely important I think.
A lot of guys write these harness systems off I think because at the get go it seems complicated or weird but like so many things once you figure it out Its so simple and effective. In the end I use it because personally it makes me a better hunter. I can generally silently setup a tree and be hunting in minutes, when I'm in the tree I'm so hidden. I'm a big guy 6'7" in my saddle I stay tight up to the trunk and look like a big ol branch coming out at an angle haha. The way you can swing around the tree silently allows for getting on deer that get behind you or are moving through quick etc... on many occasions I've stalked into and area, setup a tree that seemed right in a situation that felt right, shot a deer from that setup and never hunted that tree again, it's awesome!

--------------------

Posts: 435 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boone the Hunter
Contributor 2017
Member # 16988

I should add too some compact light climbing sticks are a good accessory for public land or states that don't allow screw in steps. I have 4 muddy brand ones that I bundle together tight to keep quite and wow you want to talk about really setting up fast. I used them recently on a bear hunt The guide was baiting the spot on his 4 wheeler he dropped me 20 yards from the set to get in a tree a few minutes later I was up and hanging in my saddle with my climbing sticks before he was finished.

--------------------

Mint
2017 Contributor
Member # 5900

Thanks Boone, really appreciate the reply. I've got for lone wolf climbing sticks for public land so I'm all set.

--------------------

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Jasper2
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 23011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasper2   Email Jasper2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought the back support band with my Kestrel and have never used it. Personally, I don't think it is necessary but I don't hunt more than about 4 hours at a time anymore. Check out the saddle hunter website if you haven't already.....you will find everything you need.

Also, feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. I'm no expert but I do have experience with 3 different saddles and several climbing methods.

--------------------
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Posts: 296 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scott myers
Member # 39237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scott myers   Email scott myers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using them for about 10 years now. I love them. I started with a Trophyline Neoprene Saddle and have since been using the New Tribe Aero Hunter. The new Kestrel looks awesome. Freedom and movement is amazing. It takes some getting used to but if you give it a chance and work with it they are awesome.
Posts: 27 | From: Motana | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mint
2017 Contributor
Member # 5900

Thanks guys, really appreciate the info and help.

Jasper2, I use a climbing rope with ascender for my climbing belt already and really like it and don't wantto switch. I figured if i was going to use the back support band I would buy the package deal. But i think now i'll just buy the saddle and the tree strap.

--------------------

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

DanielB89
SPONSOR
Member # 37294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanielB89   Email DanielB89   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have since purchased a couple saddles to try out. I am waiting my second one(different model) to come in.

My first sit in one was this past weekend and overall, I liked it. I still have to work out the kinks of the climbing method and the platform, but other than that, walking in carrying less than #15 was super nice! That included my extra clothing.

I also tried the wild edge stepp ladders and although they get great reviews, I'll have to try them out a few more times to efficiently learn how to do use them properly before I give a better review on them.

One my largest concerns is being able to get up to the spot i'm going to hang from without sweating up a storm. If you have read any of my previous posts about hunting clothes, you will know that sweat is a huge issue for me. With the saddle, i'm assuming it'll be a lot of the same.

Right now, I am climbing in to my stand and then getting dressed. I wont be able to do that with the saddle so I have to work all that out.

--------------------
Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.It is better to be of a lowly spirit with the poor than to divide the spoil with the proud. ~ Proverbs 16:18-19

Hunter's Choice Bowstrings

Black Eagle Arrow Dealer

Posts: 3018 | From: Monroe, Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasper2
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 23011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasper2   Email Jasper2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depending on the saddle, you can add layers to the top easily. The bottom is a different story and would be nearly impossible in every saddle that I have except maybe the Kestrel because of the leg buckles, but I've not tried it? Even if it could be done though...it likely wouldn't be entirely safe.

I'm not an extreme sweater like you describe but I pack my outer layers in and put the bibs/pants on before I climb, then pull up the jacket and hang it for use when I cool down or the temp starts to drop.

Just move up this way Daniel, it was 14 degrees the other day, you'll sweat less....I guarantee it. [Big Grin] Seriously though, my best advice is to take it very slow, you'll sweat less and it's much safer that way. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Posts: 296 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©