3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

John Deitterick

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Leather ????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Leather ????
RIng
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 19467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RIng   Email RIng   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all . I have a leather arrow back quiver that has been in my damp basement for years . It has mold ( ? ) on it . what can I do to clean and restore it . thank you
Posts: 388 | From: Petersburg N.Y. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penrosefred
Contributor 2014
Member # 18900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penrosefred   Email penrosefred   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go to tandy

--------------------
I don't kill innocent animals, I kill the ones that look guilty

Posts: 195 | From: penrose, Co. | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saddle soap and a good rub down of Montana pitch blend or Mink Oil or other good leather treatment.
You may not get all traces of the mold off but the above should help. You might also try a light Clorox and warm water rubdown to kill the mold, first.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13205 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Cook
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 20751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J. Cook   Email J. Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had some boots get mold on the leather after a water leak in my basement. Don't know if it's the best way or not, but I simply cleaned it off with a damp washcloth, then used some scotch pads to buff it all off. I then conditioned the leather again and it has held up and seems to be good as new.

--------------------
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Posts: 1254 | From: Kannapolis, NC | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpkiller
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make a solution of Chlorox and water - a capfull of Chlorox and a quart of water. Wipe it down inside and outside and let it dry well for a couple days.

Then rub well with Montana Pitch Blend. Maybe two applications if it needs it.

I have used this on leather for decades and it keeps and maintains it very, very well.

--------------------
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 4057 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M60gunner
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 6337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for M60gunner   Email M60gunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the stuff you describe is the white coating thatís pretty normal for leather left untended. Even here in our dry climate. If itís greenish in color thatís more and likely mold. I would go with stumpkillers suggestion using the bleach. Mold is not something you want any signs of being left. Either way get the Pitch Blend stuff, works great.
Posts: 2202 | From: Sun City, Az. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goingoldskool
Contributor 2017
Member # 38326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goingoldskool   Email goingoldskool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wipe off all that you can, let it dry, then use the cleaners ( saddle soap, pitch blend, clorox, etc)

Good luck,
Rodd

--------------------
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28

Posts: 884 | From: nw missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reddogge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reddogge   Author's Homepage   Email reddogge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have used a mild bleach solution and air drying for ridding leather of mold. Then use the leather dressing of your choice.

--------------------
PBS Reg member 1973
Maryland Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA

Posts: 5010 | From: Finksburg, MD | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RIng
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 19467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RIng   Email RIng   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks all .
Posts: 388 | From: Petersburg N.Y. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©