3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

John Deitterick

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Will 3 4inch fletching work? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Will 3 4inch fletching work?
bucknut
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 40674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bucknut   Email bucknut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is what I use on my carbons with no issues whatsoever. I shoot 4 fletch on wood to be able to get more wear out of the feathers.
Posts: 583 | From: S. E. Ohio | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbd870
Contributor 2016
Member # 39974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbd870   Email dbd870   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I use on my Centershot's

--------------------
A Grizzly and a SuperMag

Posts: 1015 | From: IN | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Russell
Sponsor
Member # 2613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use 3 2.5" fletch. We bare shafted with a 1.5" broadhead.
It took some tweaking but we achieved perfect flight. Going to those 2.5" fletch was a great move. Arrows are much faster.

--------------------
Guided hunts for Canada Bear and Georgia Bear,Turkey, Hogs, Alligator, Deer and African Plains Game. We specialize in traditional archery hunts.
Visit us at:
http://www.russelloutdoorguides.com

Posts: 1058 | From: Georgia/Quebec | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Russell
Sponsor
Member # 2613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use 3 2.5" fletch. We bare shafted with a 1.5" broadhead.
It took some tweaking but we achieved perfect flight. Going to those 2.5" fletch was a great move. Arrows are much faster.

--------------------
Guided hunts for Canada Bear and Georgia Bear,Turkey, Hogs, Alligator, Deer and African Plains Game. We specialize in traditional archery hunts.
Visit us at:
http://www.russelloutdoorguides.com

Posts: 1058 | From: Georgia/Quebec | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOHO
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOHO   Email BOHO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 should work fine as stated above if the arrows are tuned and your release is good. What if that doesn’t happen tho ? I also like 4 fletch and I shoot 3, 5” feathers too but I get one more inch of feather with the 4 fletch.

--------------------
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Tom

Posts: 2510 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleBen
Contributor 2013
Member # 21858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleBen   Email LittleBen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your arrows are tuned very well, and your shooting is clean you can get away with very little fletching. 3 4" is more than enough. If that doesn't fly well you have tuning and/or form problems.

I use either 3 4" or 3 5" just depending on what I have lying around.

I've thought about trying 4 2" rayzr feathers, but since long distance performance is not really relevant for trad bow hunting, I haven't bothered.

Posts: 2983 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakeemt
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 35665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jakeemt   Email Jakeemt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shoot 2.5 and 3 inch fletching with broadheads often no issues.
Posts: 849 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darryl R.
Member # 44025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darryl R.   Email Darryl R.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shoot 310 grains up front on 28.25” 400’s with 3-3.5” parabolic feathers on the back end. They fly like bullets

--------------------
Bob Lee Exotic 53#@28
Bob Lee Signature 53@28
Tomahawk Woodland Hunter 57#@28
Bear Super Kodiak 50#@28

Posts: 22 | From: Houston Texas | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Producer
2017 Contributor
Member # 43061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Producer   Email Producer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use 3 4" Parabolic with 125 grain field and broadheads with well tuned arrows and they both fly equally well.

--------------------
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Posts: 214 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zwickey2bl
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zwickey2bl   Email zwickey2bl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been shooting 4/4" feathers at 90 degrees for the past several years, I.like that I can cut 2 4" feathers out of a full length quill, and also that the shorter 4" feathers clear the rear of the arrow shelf of my Hill-style bows when an arrow is nocked just resting on the string and shelf. They fly well for me with fairly heavy arrows,
Posts: 336 | From: NW Alabama | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete McMiller
Contributor 2013
Member # 23559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete McMiller   Email Pete McMiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using 3x3" with Grizzly Kodiaks for several years with no issues. Like others have said, fly like bullets. You may not notice a significant difference in flight in normal conditions but when the wind starts to blow is when they really shine. Much less yawing in a cross wind than with larger fletching.

--------------------
Pete

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE [mo 'lon la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Posts: 1359 | From: Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zwickey2bl
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zwickey2bl   Email zwickey2bl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been shooting 4/4" feathers at 90 degrees for the past several years, I.like that I can cut 2 4" feathers out of a full length quill, and also that the shorter 4" feathers clear the rear of the arrow shelf of my Hill-style bows when an arrow is nocked just resting on the string and shelf. They fly well for me with fairly heavy arrows,
Posts: 336 | From: NW Alabama | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skates
Contributor 2017
Member # 6770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skates   Email Skates       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry, can you give us some numbers on the speed difference your getting? Sometimes smaller fletch 'looks' faster than they really are. Hard to really know if you haven't chronoed them.

I've ran the numbers and although faster, I've not found a way to use the word 'much faster'. Only slightly.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Posts: 164 | From: Miami | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Running Buck
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Running Buck   Email Running Buck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been shooting 3-4" fletch for years with zwickey and woodsmen heads. They shoot flatter and with much less noise then larger or longer feathers.
Posts: 488 | From: Sussex Cnty, NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skates
Contributor 2017
Member # 6770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skates   Email Skates       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Running Buck, from what I have found is that noise comes from the height and cut of the feather, not the length. I've heard a lot of difference in noise on some cuts and heights, but I can say either that going from a 5 inch feather to a 4 inch feather of the same cut to be 'much less noise'. Did you do a decibel test?

Please enlighten.

Posts: 164 | From: Miami | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©