3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

John Deitterick

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Late season tips or advice? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Late season tips or advice?
RedShaft
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedShaft   Email RedShaft   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn’t get to hunt much regular archery season this year so I plan to get out and do some late season hunting here in Pa on public land.
I have not done much of it other than sneaking around or doing drives with the flintlock.

It’s a mix of mountains and rolling woods with some farms around. That would be cut corn. You guys have any tips or advice on finding some deer that are left? The Deer numbers are pretty low. But there will be some left. This will be after Christmas. Thanks!

--------------------
Respect All...Fear None!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Posts: 1806 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buckeye1977
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 44686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckeye1977   Email Buckeye1977   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Figure out the food source and you'll find the deer

--------------------
Nick

PBS Associate Member
Kemp Kwyk Styk 56" 47@28
Toelke Chinook 58" 47@28
Zipper 58" 58@28

Posts: 667 | From: OH | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We share late season with the muzzle folks, the standing crops left on public land is where they congregate, making bow hunting tough. Winters in the Penn state are not as cold as here, but the colder it gets the more predictable the deer and the hunters get. The half horse town east of here has only one place to get food, coffee and a place to sit on cold winter days, the bar. That is where the late season hunters end up, the food source. Stay away from the woman that talks like Johnny Cash that asks hunters if they want to come up to her apartment to warm up.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5896 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trenton G.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trenton G.   Email Trenton G.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had luck setting up on heavy trails between bedding areas and food sources. It helps to have snow to really tell which trails are getting used heavily.
Posts: 476 | From: Boyne City, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KSdan
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KSdan   Email KSdan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Food. . . and cold weather!

--------------------
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Posts: 2810 | From: Kansas | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friend
2017 Contributor
Member # 15967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friend   Email Friend   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See plenty of great action late season.

Late season can be feast or famine.

Id3ntify the primary food source to avoid the latter.

--------------------
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Posts: 6604 | From: Hanson, KY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stagetek
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stagetek   Email stagetek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always been told to not hunt mornings. Hunt late afternoon to dark, and where there is food.
Posts: 1426 | From: Pewaukee, WI. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bucknut
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 40674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bucknut   Email bucknut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to hunt food sources on the lead edge of a cold front and first day it warms back up. Deer will likely be bedded on a south facing slope, so travel routes may change a little from normal travel.

John

Posts: 580 | From: S. E. Ohio | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
9 Shocks
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 36782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9 Shocks   Email 9 Shocks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
South slopes with cover and as others mentioned...FOOD! Late season is tough where I hunt in the big woods. You can see 20 deer a day or zero deer a day. But the bucks can get predictable.

--------------------
58" Thunderstick Mag 50@28
58" TallTines Recurve 47@27

Posts: 547 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowguy67
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 45078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowguy67   Email Bowguy67   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live right next to Pa. I've hunted Pa and went to school there. Not sure everyone understands the pressure in some areas. It's easy to say find the food, find the deer.
Truthfully I'd hunt weather patterns. After a good snow when things haven't eaten a day or two, they might be on their feet mid day. Right before a good storm thats gonna hit at dark and last a day or so is another good time.
Either way anytime in the woods is better than at home but if you can raise the odds why not do so.

Posts: 81 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friend
2017 Contributor
Member # 15967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friend   Email Friend   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thoroughly enjoy late season hunting.

Two scrapes established in MAY have been freshly opened since yesterday. Significant deer traffic is concentrated at the set.

Am looking quite forward to tomorrow afternoon's hunt.

--------------------
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Posts: 6604 | From: Hanson, KY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleBen
Contributor 2013
Member # 21858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleBen   Email LittleBen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ground rules of public land ... get in before the other guy, hike farther than the other guy, stay longer than the other guy,

When you find the right spot just be prepared to really stick it out. Lots of opportunities are missed by hunters hiking out to eat lunch ..... guess they never heard of sandwiches or granola bars.

I always bring a pack with water, food, any other clothes I might need, binoculars, grunt call, extra socks, flashlight, and an empty bottle .... for the water after my kidneys process it. That's public or private land.

Coach told me once you should never lose a match to conditioning .... same principle ... be prepared.

Posts: 2979 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herdbull
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herdbull   Email Herdbull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Public land may pose difficulty in calling do to over use throughout the season, but normally I have a higher percentage response of mature bucks to rattling during late season between Christmas and New Years. As deer congregate toward food source, bucks showing increased stress from the rut will travel further to get to easier food, thus increasing the local buck to do ratio a little. This may induce just the right competition to get them to respond to conflict inferred by rattling. Something to try. Mike
Posts: 1640 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herdbull
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herdbull   Email Herdbull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rattle using a technique I termed "Puppet Fights" which involves rattling from a tree stand with four sheds on the ground tethered to a cord manipulated by me in the tree. Mike

-

Posts: 1640 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herdbull
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4488

As young does, or fawns that are healthy and have increased body weight may come into heat, and even further conflict between bucks. This may occur during darkness, but your rattling during daylight
may encourage investigation of your location. Mike

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©