3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Shan G. Mandrayar

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » My 2017...busy, busy, but it's been good!(Dec. 31st update) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: My 2017...busy, busy, but it's been good!(Dec. 31st update)
Guru
Admin
Member # 616

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guru   Email Guru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I beat the rain getting set up, but just as the birds started gobbling....it started to rain.

Shortly after it was light enough to shoot I could tell by the occasional gobble that the birds were on the ground and headed my way....

With cameras rolling, they appeared in the the corner of the field as they often do....saw the decoys...and started in...

I double checked cameras and wrapped my gloved hand around the familiar stippled grip of my trusty Kwyk Styk "Cy" once again...

With the steady "pitter-patter" of the rain on the roof of the Double Bull....they wasted no time closing and in no time were right in the decoys...

What a privilege it is to watch gobblers at such close range....at 8 yards they look huge!

--------------------
Curt } >>--->

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting 3/19/06

Posts: 17700 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[campfire] still tuned in.

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17302 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buckeye1977
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 44686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckeye1977   Email Buckeye1977   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[campfire] [coffee]

--------------------
Nick

PBS Associate Member
Kemp Kwyk Styk 56" 47@28
Toelke Chinook 58" 47@28
Zipper 58" 58@28

Posts: 709 | From: OH | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stujay
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stujay   Email stujay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[campfire] [coffee] [archer]
Posts: 2436 | From: Northern Idaho | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guru
Admin
Member # 616

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guru   Email Guru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swore I was going to let the birds work over the decoy, and then shoot....but they hesitated a bit...

It's nice to wait at times to see what they'll do to a decoy...but I've also learned to not wait to long because things can go south quick as well...

So with one of the birds standing facing me and the strutter behind the other birds....I didn't want to wait any longer...

The giant Big Jim 3 blade caught the gobbler at the base of the neck severing it and over backward he went in a heap flopping, flipping in a mess of feathers and water...and here came the strutter!

Right in front of the Sony action camera, he proceeded to trounce his amigo. Then when he got done with him, he went after the jake decoy.....pretty cool footage!!!

Strutter just getting done with his beating...note the camera on the small tripod...
•  -

You can see he drove the stake right through the top of the decoy...
•  -

Eventually the birds fed off and I was able to get out of the blind...
•  -

Although he doesn't look like it, he was beautiful bird with a 9.5" beard and 7/8" spurs...
•  -
•  -
•  -
•  -

The same "Big Jim" was the demise of both birds...
•  -

...Up next The "Muzzy" shoot...

--------------------
Curt } >>--->

Posts: 17700 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goingoldskool
Contributor 2018
Member # 38326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goingoldskool   Email goingoldskool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curt,
Thanks for b taking us along... I've been watching for your hunt videos and understand completely how fast time flies! My little hunting buddy that used to track my deer from up on my shoulders is now a senior in high school and ships out to the Navy 3 weeks after graduation. .... seems like yesterday he was too little to navigate through the buck brush by himself.

Looking forward to more pics and stories!
God bless,
Rodd

--------------------
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28

Posts: 904 | From: nw missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guru
Admin
Member # 616

August 12-13th, The "Muzzy" Shoot Weekend...

This was the busiest late spring and summer we've ever had as a family, the John Mussachia Invitaional Stump Shoot was upon us before we knew it!

Cade had just home from a week playing golf in Florida with my in-laws in preparation for his senior year of golf...and I had easily practiced the least I've ever with Muzzy approaching....life happens....I was not prepared!!!

But with that said, on the way up as Cade and I chatted...I told him I had absolutely no expectations or so called pressure(self induced). I knew I hadn't practiced much, so whatever happened, happened...

I did have a great source of inspiration for the weekend....Cade had a friend that was in the fight of his young life with stage 4 cancer...I put this band on my quiver as a dedication to Ryan and for inspiration and strength...
•  -

Warm up's were as expected....not so good...

But a couple targets into the seating round things started to click with my Timberghost Apparition...
•  -

The Catskill's are a cool place...
•  -

Hanging out between rounds with Mikey(mcgroundstalker), luv this little fella...
•  -

A couple of the Hathaway clan(good people and a family of awesome shots!)
•  -
•  -

I got through a couple more rounds on top Saturday...

We drove home and were back up bright and early Sunday...

The steady shooting continued...and after a couple more rounds I was in the Longbow championship round....
I won!!!!

Who'd of thought...I guess the lack of expectation and resulting lack of "pressure" on myself worked [dunno]

•  -

Now the toughest part.....the 28 target overall championship round!!!

I found out I would be shooting against recurve champion TG'r Todd Hathaway...a great guys, and a 4 time overall champion!

Being a 3 time overall champion myself, and Todd being the guy that beat me the last time I made it to the overall championship shootoff....I knew I was going to have my hands full if I wanted my 4th overall championship!!!

--------------------
Curt } >>--->

wooddamon1
Contributor 2018
Member # 26099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wooddamon1   Email wooddamon1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[campfire]

--------------------
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Posts: 4809 | From: Muskegon, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buckeye1977
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 44686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckeye1977   Email Buckeye1977   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like a lot of fun I haven't been to a shoot in quite a few years. Hate to hear about Cade's buddy hope everything is figured out for him to be able to recover and enjoy his teenage years. [campfire]

--------------------
Nick

PBS Associate Member
Kemp Kwyk Styk 56" 47@28
Toelke Chinook 58" 47@28
Zipper 58" 58@28

Posts: 709 | From: OH | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guru
Admin
Member # 616

When Todd got up and knocked the first target down, a 50 yarder over the pond, I thought.....hmmm....this is not going to be easy! Not that I thought it would, Todd is a phenomenal shot!

Well I managed to hit knock down the next few and have a really hot first half, holding a big lead going into the second half....

Some pix from the overall round(I believe Jeff "Mint" took the first 3)...
•  -
•  -
•  -

Although my second half wasn't as strong...I held on.....I won my 4th "Muzzy" overall title!!!

Getting my Longbow Champ trophy...
•  -

Letting the crowd know what the pink bracelet was all about that I had on my quiver all weekend...they all donated money to help....trad archers are a wonderful bunch!!!
•  -

Receiving the "overall" championship trophy.....anyone that has experienced "Muzzy" knows what it means to accomplish this....what a great feeling!!!
•  -
•  -

•  -

Up next, deer season [archer2]

--------------------
Curt } >>--->

23feetupandhappy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 23feetupandhappy   Email 23feetupandhappy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[clapper] [clapper] [clapper]

Awsome Job and well done [thumbsup]

--------------------
The Lord Is My Provider......

Posts: 1508 | From: Eastern Iowa | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlacktailBowhunter
Contributor 2018
Member # 15933

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlacktailBowhunter   Email BlacktailBowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool. Congrats

--------------------
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Posts: 981 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent , buddy!! [clapper]

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 12202 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
South MS Bowhunter
Contributor 2010
Member # 16239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for South MS Bowhunter   Email South MS Bowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Curt, awesome shooting!

--------------------
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Posts: 4066 | From: Mississippi | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chad Orde
SPONSOR
Member # 21806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chad Orde   Author's Homepage   Email Chad Orde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That loooks like a blast congrats!

--------------------
-------------------------------------
Chad Orde
Drifter Traditional Archery
www.DrifterTraditionalArchery.com
Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Posts: 798 | From: Northern Michigan | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©