3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Shan G. Mandrayar

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Getting older, priorities, being happy! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Getting older, priorities, being happy!
Bowwild
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowwild   Author's Homepage   Email Bowwild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mike,
Glad to see you are doing well even after all the physical challenges! Super great to see you are in high spirits and having fun.

Our mutual buddy Jim, in Lafayette is doing well except he can't shoot the bows he likes best. That tree stand fall two years ago boogered him pretty good.

I love my time hunting here at home with my son, son-in-law, and more and more the grand children. My so and are enjoying our new property as well, most of the work is just bush hogging to keep it from becoming a cedar forest.

My brother, son, Jim, and I still try to make it some place for something economical and not too rowdy (black bear, pronghorns, and turkey). I have a chance to go on first (and last?) moose hunt this next year (Alberta) but I don't know if I'll do it yet.

I'm planning, if God agrees, to retire at 67 (I'll be 64 in Feb.). I do delegate a lot more these days.

--------------------
If the mind wanders, so too will the arrow.

Member of various archery organizations.

Posts: 5884 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Stewart
Contributor 2015
Member # 12017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Stewart   Email Jon Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You did it right Mike. I retired at 51 from a local police department (we had a 50/25 and out and I took it). Wife and I traveled a lot by riding a bicycle self contained across the United States which was of course our longest trip but we did many other long rides around the U.S, Europe and Ireland. Now at 68 I read the obituaries to make sure my name isn't in them and thank the Lord for waking up on the right side of the grass everyday.
Posts: 2932 | From: Norton Shores, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Vernon
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 7195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Vernon   Email George Vernon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,
Thanks for sharing. Having gone through a similar ‘awakening’, I beginning to think/wish I’d done it 20 years sooner.

Posts: 177 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tracker12
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 38129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tracker12   Email tracker12   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Life is always about what makes you happy. At 65 I still like to do a trip out west somewhere each year. It was aways hunting but I am now planning fishing trips as well.

--------------------
T ZZZZ

Posts: 1790 | From: Maryland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for no   Email no   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
52, 2 knee surgeries, I just cant grind in the woods every day like I used too. Sometimes just need a sleep morning. Mike

--------------------
Big Mike

Posts: 349 | From: Wingdale, NY | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JNewton
Contributor 2018
Member # 46760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JNewton   Email JNewton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

I think you & I are a lot alike. I'll be 62 in a month, 1 knee replacement, a pacemaker, and packing 2 cow elk out, and hunting 2 weeks ago reinforced the need for another new knee....

I've told my wife if we ever move anywhere, the only requirement is that we move near a good hardware store. Need to be able to easily buy parts for myself, hee hee......

--------------------
Jimmie
A transplanted Okie living in Sandy, OR

Jim Brackenbury Drifter T/D Recurve 59#

OMP Ozark Hunter Longbow 50#

A cheap fiberglass recurve from a garage sale, that actually shoots pretty good (30#?)

Posts: 26 | From: Sandy, Oregon | Registered: Oct 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orion
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orion   Email Orion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno. I'll be 72 soon and still greatly enjoy a two-wek hunt out West. Love chasing the whitetails around home and spend two-three weeks pre/during/post rut doing that as well, but I won't stop going out west until I can't hack it anymore. Figure I don't have too many years left to hunt the mountains so doing all I can while I can.
Posts: 8677 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wild Bill MCP 808
Member # 36956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild Bill MCP 808   Email Wild Bill MCP 808   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

I am in the same boat just without the land to hunt. I hunt public land not easy to find a good area. I am 64 but still have the passion to bow hunt I go as long and hard as the body allows, sometimes maybe a little too much. Enjoy your retirement!

Bill

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
60" Black Widow 52 @ 28
60" Thunderhorn 60@ 28
62" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
62" Hoyt Buffalo 50@28
Bear Kodiak Magnum 45@ 28
NRA Member
Bill Wilhelm

Posts: 90 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnovo
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 6889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnovo   Email dnovo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike. I'm coming around to your way of thinking. I'm at home now recovering from double knee surgery. My priorities are changing now. The last 15-20 years I've done a lot of hunts away from home. Now I'm wanting to just spend more time with my wife doing camping trips or whatever and just hunt on the farm here for whitetails. Physically I can still do just about anything but am looking at what is most important.

--------------------
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Posts: 1586 | From: Imperial, MO | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SS Snuffer
Contributor 2015
Member # 16844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SS Snuffer   Email SS Snuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear from others like me. I'll be 67 in the spring. Sometimes it is hard to stop doing the thing you've been at for 50 years. Had a knee replacement shoulder replacement at the rate things are going I think I better retire soon. Whitetails are what I like to chase and I've got 160 acres to hunt so I best get at it! Great kids and 8 grandkids all bowhunters. I guess I better get busy.
Good luck to you all

--------------------
Chuck
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 42 lb.

Posts: 765 | From: Villard Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TIM B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TIM B   Email TIM B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not quite to retirement yet at 48 but close.
I've been on several hunts out west and it just burns so much vacation time so fast. Most years I choose to just burn a hour or so vacation every afternoon and that allows me to bowhunt virtually every single day from our opener on sep 15 until our gun season starts second weekend of November. It's hard to give up hunting every day for one animal and 2 weeks.....
Tim B

Posts: 645 | From: MO | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nashoba
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nashoba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike my life story reads just about the same as yours. I was a union carpenter for years. I was forced to medically retire a couple years ago after having back surgery. Prior to that I had two shoulder surgeries ,loved my job but the trades sure aren't body friendly. My desire to hunt is sometimes more than I can physically do, at times I push myself a little to hard and pay for it later on. My wife keeps saying You cant do things you used to but in my mind I'm still in my early twenties.
Posts: 259 | From: caledonia,ny | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phillip Fields
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phillip Fields   Email Phillip Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just turned 71 in November. I still like to make trips to other states. I also enjoy my deer hunting on our property down in NC.

--------------------
Keep em Sharp!

Posts: 349 | From: Virginia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron LaClair
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron LaClair   Email Ron LaClair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be 82 in March, if you guys think it's bad now.... wait until you look like this

-

--------------------
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

Posts: 5040 | From: Potterville Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did you get my photo......... [dunno] [biglaugh]

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 15958 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©