3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Donald Hoffman

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Big Jim Mountain Monarch and Thunderchild? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Big Jim Mountain Monarch and Thunderchild?
TDHunter
Contributor 2016
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TDHunter   Email TDHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone compared the two bows? Coming up on the list this summer and would love to here from guys who's owned or shot both the Mountain Monarch and the Thunderchild.
Thanks
Ps......yes I will speak to the big man himself

--------------------
60" 49@28 Kanati
64"51lb @ 28 2pc A&H
62"50@28 Win&Win BlackWolf

Posts: 868 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Clandinin
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 17084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Clandinin   Email Steve Clandinin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would you rather have a chocolate or vanilla milkshake lol. Get the picture.

--------------------
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Posts: 3067 | From: Sask. Canada | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve-ALA
Contributor 2018
Member # 585

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve-ALA   Email Steve-ALA   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can’t speak for the Monarch but I do love my Thunderchild. Really smooth for a short bow. I got 58” (longest TC he makes standard). I shoot 50# @ 27”. Shoots better than I do. Perfect for ground blinds.

--------------------
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Traditional Archery Society

Posts: 70 | From: Phenix City, AL | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve-ALA
Contributor 2018
Member # 585

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve-ALA   Email Steve-ALA   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can’t speak for the Monarch but I do love my Thunderchild. Really smooth for a short bow. I got 58” (longest TC he makes standard). I shoot 50# @ 27”. Shoots better than I do. Perfect for ground blinds.

--------------------
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Traditional Archery Society

Posts: 70 | From: Phenix City, AL | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Clandinin
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 17084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Clandinin   Email Steve Clandinin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In all sincerity something no one ever thinks about.I was born and raised in B C and know the country you hunt in ,very remote and relentless.something no one ever thinks about is simplicity.Jim probably makes the nicest bows being made today and I’m sure his recurve is superb,but I can’t see anything shooting as well as a thunder child,they have it all.Simplicity at its finest,you don’t even need a stringer,pull it apart and stick it in your pack or backquiver and off you go.just like when the young greenhorn mountain man asked the old mountain man why he didn’t use one of those new percussion guns.The old mountain man told him “ Son when your 1000 miles from nowhere and you run out of those little nipple huggers what’s you gunna do? Heck with my flinter Ican always find a rock to make her shine”.

--------------------
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Posts: 3067 | From: Sask. Canada | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both great bows. Would you rather have a recurve or longbow? It's a simple matter of preference.

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17412 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RedShaft
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedShaft   Email RedShaft   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really want to shoot a thunderchild

--------------------
Respect All...Fear None!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Posts: 1813 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friend
Contributor 2018
Member # 15967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friend   Email Friend   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big Jim builds wonderful bows- no doubt.

Even at that, it comes down to individual compatability. I have shot at least 8 different Thunderchilds over the years. I have shot only one Mountain Monarch. The Mountain Monarch was , by far, a better selection for me.

Your own testing, if possible, will render the best decision.

--------------------
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Posts: 6693 | From: Hanson, KY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
preaching archer
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 46021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for preaching archer   Email preaching archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Buffalo, Thunderchild, Desert Bighorn, and recently a Mountain Monarch. I love them all but the Mountain Monarch is one sweet bow.

Andy

--------------------
preacher

Posts: 26 | From: Georgia | Registered: Feb 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewsbow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 3040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for drewsbow   Email drewsbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on the list for a Monarch , love all his bows

--------------------
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Posts: 6305 | From: Dansville N.Y. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
U.a.horribilis
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 44583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for U.a.horribilis   Email U.a.horribilis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have both, and they are both great. You won’t be wrong either way. Monarch is very smooth and soft in the hand shoots great. Thunder child is as nice of a short hybrid as you could ask for with all of the qualities of the best. It is a broken record but it all comes down to personal preference, and for me, how I feel that day. I find I shoot longbows in general more the reason I can determine is that I don’t need a stringer (lazy?).
Posts: 53 | From: Missouri | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BigJim
SPONSOR
Member # 12258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BigJim   Author's Homepage   Email BigJim   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am shooting a 67#@32"/60" Monarch and a 60#@32"/64" Monarch. I shoot the lighter more lately simply because I haven't been shooting much.

I find both to be very smooth all the way out to 32" and so does the scale.

I also find the ThunderChild to be very smooth as well..

When strung, the 60" Monarch is only 1" longer than the 58" ThunderChild.

Being a wood coneseuer, the Monarch, has a much bigger pallet to show off the beautiful wood. If it didn't shoot great, this would mean nothing of course. It is still not necessarily heavy, but it can have a fair bit more mass weight if desired than a ThunderChild.
BigJim

--------------------
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Posts: 2883 | From: Albany, Georgia | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Clandinin:
Would you rather have a chocolate or vanilla milkshake lol. Get the picture.

There's no such thing as a vanilla shake.... they only make chocolate.

[bigsmyl]

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 31278 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katman   Email katman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, strawberry is king. [bigsmyl]

Jim is the Monarch a static or working recurve? thanks. Great looking bow.

--------------------
shoot straight shoot often

Posts: 3682 | From: south carolina | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Clandinin
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 17084

Vanilla is only available in Canada. Right now everything up here is white.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©