JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Trad Gang Highlights » HIGHLIGHTS 2015 » Just got back from South Africa! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Just got back from South Africa!
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got home from a great hunt in South Africa. I hunted with a couple friends who were using wheel bows, and we hunted 10 days with Matsuri Safaris in Limpopo Province. All these animals were taken with my Sarrels Blueridge longbow(50#@29.5"), full length Easton Full Metal Jacket .400 spine arrows with a 75gr brass insert, and 150gr German Kinetic broadheads. (Except the guinnea fowl, where I used a judo point)

The first day started off great with a fine Steenbok shot at 12.5yds!

-

The next 2 days were plagued with swirly winds, and although we still saw a lot of animals, not many came in close enough to think about shooting them.

On the 4th day we went to a blind in the morning and did not see much. At about 9:45am, the PH suggested we move to a different blind. There was a flock of guinnea fowl in front of us, so I decided to shoot one before we left!

-

We moved to the new blind and spooked a gemsbok off when we drove up! He came back once, but did not like something, and spooked and run off. At about 1:30pm, a herd of Impala came in. My PH pointed out a real nice ram and told me to shoot him if the chance arose. About 15 minutes later he came in to about 21yds. I made a really bad shot, coupled with his trying to do the matrix move on me. All that resulted in me hitting him in the neck. We tracked him for a ways and finally found him, but he was still alive. After jumping him a couple times, I elected to put him down using the PH's rifle. Although I do think he would have expired from my shot, I did not feel good about having it be drawn out! He was a really good Impala, measuring 25.5" on both sides!

-

Day 5 started in the same blind where I shot the impala on day 4. At about 8:15am a nice Gemsbok bull came in and I got a shot at him at 14yds. These are some beautiful critters, and are fine eating also!

-

We saw a ton of critters the rest of the day, but nothing to shoot at! Day 6 found us at a new blind, called the Brick House. About 9am some nyala bulls came in. The PH told me there was a shooter, and to get ready. When I first saw them, I got really nervous!! I finally managed to get a shot at the biggest bull at 11yds. SWING AND A MISS!!!! Yep, I missed a calf sized critter at 11yds. I was very upset with myself, and talking to myself, trying to figure out how that could have happened. The PH told me to settle down because they were coming back. When they came back in, there was an even bigger bull than the one I had missed. I ended up getting about a 12yd shot on him, and did not miss this time! The track was short, and this is what was at the end!

-

I really think that God must have jerked my arm to make me miss the first nyala because he knew the other bull was there for me!!!!

Day 7 & 9 were filled with a gazillion animal sightings, but no shot opportunities.

Day 8 was a fun morning. We had a large group of Impala come in, with several nice rams. I decided to shoot one. The shot happened at about 18yds. The arrow sunk low, and all the animals exploded to run off. I could see my arrow in the dirt, a clean miss!!! Well, they came back in, and another one gave me a 13yd shot that I took full advantage of.

-

When we got out of the blind to get my ram, we retrieved the first arrow and found that I had hit the first one. We tracked it for a long ways, but did not recover him! Keep reading, and you will see that there is a good ending to this one!

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11890 | From: Sonora, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then, the last day of my hunt came. This turned out to be one of the most exciting days of hunting I have ever had. 4 animals were taken on the last day!

First off was a nice big kudu cow at about 9:30 in the morning!

-

Then we changed blinds. We were not there 30 minutes when a bunch of Impala came in. I shot a nice Impala ewe at about 17yds at about 11:00am.

-

A couple hours later I got a shot at a nice Impala ram that I had grazed low on the leg and brisket on day 8. That was the only unrecovered animal of the trip, and I was glad to get another opportunity at him. This was over a mile from where I had shot at him a few days before!

-

And then a few hours later still, my last critter of this hunt. The cutest critter in all of Africa!

A very nice warthog!
 -

And, so ends one of the best hunts of my lifetime. Africa is a very special place, and I can't wait to get back over there!

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11890 | From: Sonora, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crittergetter
SPONSOR
Member # 40336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crittergetter   Email Crittergetter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say is " that's just freakin awesome"!!!!!

--------------------
www.primaltechbows.com
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Posts: 2060 | From: East Texas | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAM E. STEPHENS
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 23228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAM E. STEPHENS   Email SAM E. STEPHENS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done , Congrats.....

,,Sam,,

--------------------
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Posts: 2727 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilbobby
Contributor 2016
Member # 6171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilbobby   Email lilbobby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you had a good time, beautiful animals!

--------------------
Conny

Posts: 666 | From: Houma, La. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hitmantoto
Contributor 2016
Member # 37176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hitmantoto   Email hitmantoto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats !
Posts: 274 | From: France | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danny Rowan
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danny Rowan   Email Danny Rowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job Bisch, now you're gonna have a taxidermy bill. [bigsmyl] to pay for.

--------------------
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Posts: 7915 | From: Guam | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrushWolf
Contributor 2016
Member # 24340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrushWolf   Email BrushWolf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Looks like you had an awesome trip. Congrats!

--------------------
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Posts: 1364 | From: OHIO | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanielB89
SPONSOR
Member # 37294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanielB89   Email DanielB89   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bisch,

those are some awesome looking animals!!! Congrats brother. I hope to go over there some time.

--------------------
Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.It is better to be of a lowly spirit with the poor than to divide the spoil with the proud. ~ Proverbs 16:18-19

Hunter's Choice Bowstrings

Black Eagle Arrow Dealer

Posts: 3050 | From: Monroe, Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benny Nganabbarru   Email Benny Nganabbarru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very awesome! How were the blinds? What were the shooting windows like? Happy for ya!

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Posts: 6048 | From: Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Sanders
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Sanders   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Sanders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Bisch. Man you sure had yourself a great hunt. Glad you were able to get another chance at that impala. By the way, maybe you ought to buy stock in the Sarrels Blueridge longbows(LOL). Thanks for sharing with us.

Tony

Posts: 758 | From: Shady Side, MD | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BigErn
Contributor 2016
Member # 22330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BigErn   Email BigErn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bisch,
Congrats,all Great animals!I know it was fun,but i bet it was a lot of work also!Way to go!
Ernie

--------------------
You can lead a human to knowledge, but you can't make him think!

Posts: 213 | From: The town of West,Texas | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rastaman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rastaman   Email rastaman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bisch! Nice looking animals. If we had warthogs in the USA, I probably wouldn't hunt anything else! [wavey]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

[archer]

Randy Keene

Posts: 7162 | From: georgia | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!, that's just .......... Awesome!

congrats bisch!!!!

--------------------
IAM ~ Black Powder Gang ~ TANJ ~ TGMM ~ NRA Patriot Life ~ NRA RSO

Posts: 10054 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trad_bowhunter1965
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trad_bowhunter1965   Email trad_bowhunter1965   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome Bisch !!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Pronghorn Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Member
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why
(Mark Twain)

Posts: 1674 | From: Northeastern CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©