JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » HIGHLIGHTS 2017 » NC Opening Day Success (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: NC Opening Day Success
Bud B.
Contributor 2014
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday was the season opener for the 2017-2018 deer season here in NC. After an empty morning sit I went back into the woods at about 4pm. At about 7:05pm this fellow came along a trail that I thought would be productive.

A special thanks to Duke Grimstead (slim_grim - my son-in-law) for driving the 1.25 hours to Rockingham County from Randolph County to help me track this deer and recover it. The uphill drag out of the woods was much easier with his help.

I used a vintage 1972 Bear Archery Super Kodiak recurve 45x @ 28 with a Gold Tip Traditional 500 carbon arrow tipped with an 80s vintage Bear Super Razorhead broadhead.

I wasn't sure of the hit. It was quartering away and the hit was a little low, but high enough to hit several vitals and ensure a quick and humane death for this guy. Entry behind the ribs on the left, exit was just behind the front right leg. I heard every step of the final run and I heard the deer fall, but wasn't sure if it had tripped or was down for good. I waited for Duke to drive up to help, just in case it was going to be a long trail. As it turned out the fall I heard was the resting place of the buck. He was gone in less than 30 seconds. I am thankful, very thankful, for the swift end.

-

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7273 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxwell
Contributor 2017
Member # 7005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxwell   Email maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice deer, congrats on the harvest.
Posts: 2401 | From: Syracuse NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buckeye1977
Contributor 2017
Member # 44686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckeye1977   Email Buckeye1977   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Nick

PBS Associate Member
Kemp Kwyk Styk 56" 47@28
Toelke Chinook 58" 47@28
Zipper 58" 58@28

Posts: 617 | From: OH | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Westkyhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Westkyhunter   Email Westkyhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on a fine buck and short tracking job!
Posts: 111 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kopper1013
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kopper1013   Email Kopper1013   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome congrats

--------------------
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Posts: 997 | From: New York | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Van Dort
Contributor 2017 - Moderator
Member # 137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Van Dort   Email Tony Van Dort   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet!
Even better with the vintage equipment!

Been down here in SC for a year now. Need to get out and look for a place to hunt. Hopefully next season I can make it happen.

Posts: 2171 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
Contributor 2014
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of WMAs there. Some are hunted very little during bow season. Check WMAs near Santee Cooper. But wait for Irma and Jose to pass. [Wink]

Thanks, Tony.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7273 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TSHOOTER
Contributor 2014
Member # 8515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TSHOOTER   Author's Homepage   Email TSHOOTER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! Love them old bear recurves [thumbsup]

--------------------
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life. (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Posts: 622 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrushWolf
Contributor 2016
Member # 24340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrushWolf   Email BrushWolf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats. Good shooting.

--------------------
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Posts: 1242 | From: OHIO | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crittergetter
Contributor 2017
Member # 40336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crittergetter   Email Crittergetter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[clapper] [clapper] [clapper]

--------------------
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Posts: 1958 | From: East Texas | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Butler
Contributor 2016
Member # 7393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Butler   Email Rick Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Bud!

--------------------
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 2313 | From: Swartz Creek & DeTour Village MI. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cory Mattson
Contributor 2016
Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cory Mattson   Email Cory Mattson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Day - nice buck and great shot placement!
<><
<--------------<<<<<<<

--------------------
Savana River Bow Zone - Trad Bowhunting Club

Posts: 1388 | From: Work / NC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRM_95
Contributor 2017
Member # 38163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CRM_95   Email CRM_95   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats!!
Posts: 608 | From: East TX | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraigC
2017 Contributor
Member # 21562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraigC   Email CraigC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great shot and deer
Posts: 68 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
olddogrib
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for olddogrib   Email olddogrib   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good job Bud! I don't usually miss opening weekend, but it was following the full moon. I'm such a wonderful husband I normally only go up to the hunting grounds every other weekend, so I'm waiting to get synced up with the quarter moons this weekend. P.S... you don't need to try to corroborate that statement with the missus, lol!

--------------------
"Wakan Tanka
Wakan Tanka
Pilamaya
Wichoni heh"

Posts: 1645 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©