Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Knapper's Stump » NC Rhyolite

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NC Rhyolite
Bud B.
Contributor 2014
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any knappers out there worked it? I have heard it called "Cryalot" by the local knappers. It is hard to work but the Native Americans seemed to be able to do it just fine.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7273 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't knap but lots of guys around here that do use rhyolite because it is our local knapping rock. Rhyolite arrowheads and blades are very tough and hold up better than many other types of stone. The greenish rhyolite is finer grain and although as tough is easier to work I think.
James Parker(huntworthyproductions) has worked tons(literally) of rhyolite and is as good of a knapper as I have ever seen. James lives up near Boone.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13114 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
Contributor 2014
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat, are you going to Linda Brittain's shoot at the end of the month? Powder Creek?

--------------------

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7273 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
Contributor 2014
Member # 24907

Here is my feeble attempt. I have not figured out how to get a good spall off local rock, so finding chips and trying to pressure flake them is my effort at this time.

-

The black one is not local. It is obsidian.

--------------------

Jon Stewart
Contributor 2015
Member # 12017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Stewart   Email Jon Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bud: You taking up this hair pulling craft? lol Let me know and I will send you some slabs to work and learn on. I wonder if heat will tame your rhyolite a bit and make it easier to knap.
Posts: 2893 | From: Norton Shores, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
Contributor 2014
Member # 24907

I have heard it will not, unless you have a kiln. And even then most that work it regularly say no. hence the nickname cryalot.

--------------------

Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bud, I'm planning on going to the Powder Creek shoot. It's been a few years since I've been there. Usually I would have a primitive skills weekend at my place but I had to cancel this year. I always waited until Linda scheduled their shoot before I set my dates. My event was originally scheduled for this coming weekend but like I said above I had to cancel.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13114 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
Contributor 2014
Member # 24907

Thanks Pat. I may try to make it.

--------------------

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©