Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Dark Continent » Namimba calling... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Namimba calling...
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benny Nganabbarru   Email Benny Nganabbarru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bloody awesome, mate!

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Posts: 6048 | From: Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Kidner
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Kidner   Email Al Kidner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the Taxidermy place there was all sorts of critters, large and small and some of which I did not know the names of...but I did spot this bad boy... a dream hunt right there.

Maybe in the future, but from all accounts, Buff hunts are going way up in price now. I'll just stick to our water buff in the mean time...

-

We had made plans to head east to the red sand dunes of Sossusvlei but our hire car broke down in a small town called Maltahohe.

-

Then due to African ways of, well just being Africa... our hire car was out of action and the company had no plans to get us one in any sort of a hurry. So a local man by the name of Dion elected to take us the remaining part of our journey.

Now to cut a long story short... this is what happens when you cross a yound Kudu bull and a Hilux travelling at 120 K/H...

Our first Kill!

-

With our second car a right off we thought it a great idea to crack a beer and simply smile! No one was hurt and thats the best part. We all put in to cover the excess of Dion's insurence bill so he was not out of pocket. We also paid for his dinner back in town and his drinks bill, also sending him home after the bar was shut with a case of beer under his wing.

Guess we should have taken more notice of the local road signs! Well, maybe Dion should have...

-

As a side note we could not have been treated better by the locals where we broke down. As soon as I spotted Dion I knew he was ex mil guy as we can pick each other out of the crowd for the habbits we have etc. After getting to know Dion over a few beers he told me he served 14 years in the SA Army and fought in the bush wars up north in Angola. Tough man, tough war and I tipped me hat to him.

--------------------
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Posts: 2250 | From: Mackay,QLD, Australia. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benny Nganabbarru   Email Benny Nganabbarru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pure adventure, and good people!

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Posts: 6048 | From: Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Kidner
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Kidner   Email Al Kidner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I could not get over was the amount of these fellas on just about every tree, bush and shrub! Made for hard stalking that is for sure...

-

And I enjoyed seeing these large birds nest. From all accounts not a good tree to hang around during the breeding season as Cobras like to hang about!

-

Then it was up to Etosha National Park for more of a look see at all the different African animals and also as a good prep to enable us to turn into how animals act etc.

-

That moring I got lucky and snapped this pic of one of these little guys...

-

More to come guys..

--------------------
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Posts: 2250 | From: Mackay,QLD, Australia. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAVIOUR68
Contributor 2015
Member # 35651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAVIOUR68   Email SAVIOUR68   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] KEEP IT COMING, NEED TO SEE SOME BLOODY ARROWS
Posts: 461 | From: UNITED STATES OF TEXAS | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gregg dudley
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gregg dudley   Author's Homepage   Email gregg dudley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome! Following along... [campfire]

--------------------
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Posts: 5831 | From: weirsdale, fl | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Kidner
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3399

Whilst in the Park we ran into a lots of these...

-

And a few of these too...

-

But after a week of doing the tourist thing we were all keen to sink our hunters teeth into some quality game animals and were ready to don our hunting boots and try our best at mixing things up with the smarts of the African game animals on offer.

Animals like these...

-

-

-

--------------------

Al Kidner
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3399

Here is the link to the place we hunted. Outstanding come close to mind and fair chase as you'll ever get in Africa.

http://www.ekuja-hunting-namibia.com/

--------------------

Al Kidner
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3399

We arrived at the hunting camp at about 2 pm in the arvo and after introductions with the owners and the PH on hand it was time to split up. I was paired up with a local tracker that has lived on the farm since he was 8 and we hit it off well and I hunted with Thomas for the whole 6 days of my hunt.

But before we headed off the PH wanted to see me shoot my recuve as he was undicided when it came to Trad gear as he had limited exposure to bowhunters hunting with Traditional gear.

To say I was nervous was an under statement! Never had I have been put under a shooting type test to see if my abilities would come up to par... but, it would seem I did OK as the PH was impressed with my shooting abilities out to 30m.

--------------------

Al Kidner
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3399

That arvo we just sat in a blind to get the feel of how jittery these african animals really are. I had read and heard accounts of the abouve mentioned...but gee, these critters really are wired!

The next morning we set out again. As stated at the start of my thread... I was only after one good African animal for my first hunt, the rest would be cream on top. I just did not want to put myself under to much pressure as there is enough when hunting plains game in Africa without adding extra stress on one's self to fill his or list of 'required' animals.

About midday one of these fellas came into the water to drink and Thomas, in his roughly spanned english told me to shoot.

-

So I drew back, anchored and shot. Upon impact the wartie spun as the arrow zipped clean on through him and skidded further on into the bush. He turn and looked right into our blind and I watch blood pour out of his chest due a low lung shot. He then trotted off - in the gait how Warthogs do - stumbled once, stopped and trotted off again into the grass.

I looked at Thomas to gain his reaction... he shook his head. "Good shot, but no heart" he said....hmmm, OK I thought.

--------------------

Al Kidner
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3399

We quickly and as quietly as we clould, exited the blind to take up the blood and spoor. We found good pools of blood and a rather easy blood trail to follow. But...Thomas was still not happy with the hit. He said a few times "He go long ways Bass"

And that he did...

Thomas in action, tracking my - what I thought was a well hit animal.

-

Dark soon was upon us and we had lost the blood trail well over 500m from the blind and still no dead Warthog. I had read how hard these African animals are but gee... this was one tough animal. I questioned all that would hear my prayers just how much blood can a Warthog hold pray tell?!

--------------------

Al Kidner
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3399

The rest of the crew turned up with two tracking dogs and we further pushed on the track to try and locate my Warthog...but, sadly we came up empty handed and had made futher plans to hit the track again at first light.

With luck we may just find him. It was a cold, sombering ride back to camp that night...

--------------------

Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

I know the feeling! It sucks! Tell the story, mate!

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Al Kidner
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3399

The next morning after breakfast Thomas and I headed back onto the track again to see if we could come up with a dead Warthog. Sadly, after a few hours we ran outa blood and no animal found.

A real kick to the guts it was and I put it down as a learning curve on hunting in Africa. If your shot is not 100% on the spot, even if it's off by and inch as mine was, then make preperations for a long traking job.

We made a plan to walk our way back to the camp for lunch and to try our luck on any animals spot and stalk style.

This time I drew lucky...

-

After about an hours stalk, I shot this Steenbok bedded from 38 paces. A stalk, shot and hunt that'll live with me till the end of my days!

--------------------

Siewho
Member # 21489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siewho   Email Siewho   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Al Congrats & well done on the Steenbok esp hunted by W & S. It is such a common story with "Lost game" in Africa when the shot is not 100%. They are tough!!!

--------------------
Siewho

Posts: 70 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©