Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Dark Continent » Kudu versus Elk (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Kudu versus Elk
Benjy
Contributor 2015
Member # 9320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benjy   Author's Homepage   Email Benjy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shot through my Kudo at 15 yards. I was shooting 64 lbs at my drawlength of 29" I was using 2219 arrows at 30" with a Magnus I broadhead. I was using a 62" Jeffery Recurve with a B 50 string. This was 20 years ago. The fletchings where all that kept the arrow from completely passing through. The arrow fell out after 2 bounds.

The most difficult thing to remember is to shoot African animals in front of the crease and not behind it!

The cool thing about a Kudo is they have a stripe that marks the back of the kill zone!

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT 60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT 64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Posts: 2198 | From: Irmo, SC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oldbohntr
Contributor 2017
Member # 5733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oldbohntr   Author's Homepage   Email oldbohntr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All true, based on what I've seen. It's normal that you're overthinking it. Any trip to Africa is a big hunt, and the first one is a lot to plan for. But, they're all correct- shot placement is what it's all about. My experience is that a big elk has a more significant infrastructure than a kudu....if that matters. Shoot them where you should, and you're ok. But, if you don't, even the smaller African species have a very strong vitality!

--------------------
Tom

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington state | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shot this 54" Kudu with my 50# at my 29.5" DL Sarrels Blueridge longbow. It went about 100yds and was DRT!

-

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11529 | From: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobaru
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobaru   Email Bobaru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Birch: Impressive.
Posts: 400 | From: Canandaigua, New York | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calgarychef
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for calgarychef   Email calgarychef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Impressive, DRT usually refers to an animal dropping at the shot doesn't it?
Posts: 1249 | From: canada | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jonsimoneau
Contributor 2016
Member # 1224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jonsimoneau   Email jonsimoneau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will be fine. I've had the good fortune of hunting in Africa on three separate trips. The heaviest bow I ever used was 55 pounds. Most of the time I shot 53. I killed a gigantic Eland bull. He died in sight. I've killed 3 kudu and all were complete passthroughs. Multiple warhogs, red heartebeast, impala, gemsbok etc. All with no problems. I generally used a 630 grain arrow but I also killed a lot of critters with a 550 grain arrow.
Posts: 3108 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jonsimoneau
Contributor 2016
Member # 1224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jonsimoneau   Email jonsimoneau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eland like a pet cow? Not at all in my experience. The Eland in Namibia were extremely warry. As far as string jumping, kudu won't do too much of that. Nor will any of the big stuff. This is a true story. I was hunting with a P.H. one time. My first trip there. I was using my recurve and he was convinced that it was so slow that when I went to shoot at an impala, I needed to aim well below it. I was hesitant but since I was new there I trusted his judgement. One day a monster of an impala ram came in and offered me a shot at 20 yards. He told me to aim at it's front leg at the joint. His theory was that the ram would drop at the shot. Well I aimed at the joint and guess where I hit him? He did not drop at all! Lesson learned. After that I just shot at stuff the way I normally do. Impala and warthogs will jump the string though. Also mountain reedbuck are super jumpy. I was worried about that so I waited till my mountain reedbuck gave me a 7 yard shot before I let him have it.
Posts: 3108 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horne Shooter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horne Shooter   Email Horne Shooter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's me in the Abowyer picture above with the Kudu. He was killed a 54# A&H longbow with 625 grain arrows. I got a complete pass through and watched him go down from a full gallop. Your set up is fine, just put the arrow in the right place and make sure it's scary sharp. Not much more to it than that. Have a great time!!

--------------------
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Posts: 549 | From: Boerne, Texas | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobaru
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobaru   Email Bobaru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jonsimoneau - nice story. Impalas sound like whitetails. I heard Impalas die hard. But, anyone who has hunted whitetails for a while has their own stories.

Horne Shooter - thanks for the advise. I've settled on my 54# bow. I think it's about 56 # at my draw. And, the 554 grain arrows seem to fly well. So, all I need to do is just keep practicing.

By the way, my wife will be shooting 45#. That's the most she can comfortably draw. She's more accurate than I am, but she'll be using a bow I can't talk about here. Still, it will be fun just to have her bowhunting - it will be her first time of any hunting with a weapon more powerful than a camera.

I've been conditioning our thinking to wait for our shots, keep them close. And, I think I will stop shaving while there, so there's no excuse for the broadheads to be dull....

Posts: 400 | From: Canandaigua, New York | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johandre
Member # 41659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johandre   Email johandre   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey Bobaru your bow poundage will work. I live in South Africa and have seen many kudu fall in front of bows of lower poundage. The key is just to put the arrow in the heart lung area and you will get your buck. Enjoy Africa my friend

Johandre

--------------------
Phil 4:13- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Posts: 81 | From: south africa | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groyce
Contributor 2014
Member # 16300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groyce   Author's Homepage   Email groyce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Find Ed Ashby's arrow penetration reports on here. He has done extensive studies on arrow weight/velocity/penetration, and has proven beyond a doubt I would say, that a heavy arrow is the only way to go. I'm currently shooting a 70/75 spine douglas fir shaft with a 190 grain Tuffhead up front. They weigh 659 grains. I shoot a 55@28 A&H and I draw about 27". These fly great out to about 30yds without substantial drop and I'm confident they will put down anything out there, provided you put it in the right place. I cant get a carbon heavy enough for my liking to fly right for some reason.
Posts: 220 | From: jacksonville, florida | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groyce
Contributor 2014
Member # 16300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groyce   Author's Homepage   Email groyce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Find Ed Ashby's arrow penetration reports on here. He has done extensive studies on arrow weight/velocity/penetration, and has proven beyond a doubt I would say, that a heavy arrow is the only way to go. I'm currently shooting a 70/75 spine douglas fir shaft with a 190 grain Tuffhead up front. They weigh 659 grains. I shoot a 55@28 A&H and I draw about 27". These fly great out to about 30yds without substantial drop and I'm confident they will put down anything out there, provided you put it in the right place. I cant get a carbon heavy enough for my liking to fly right for some reason.
Posts: 220 | From: jacksonville, florida | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groyce
Contributor 2014
Member # 16300

Sorry for the double post. Oh, have a great time and take plenty of pictures. It is a beautiful country. I'm planning on Namibia in '16 and cant wait to get back to that part of the world.
Hunt
Member # 41994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunt   Email Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone! New to TG here. I live in SA and have hunted quite a few larger animals with longbow and recurve. I use a 49lb longbow, 550gr poc shafts and settled eventually on a zwickey eskimo two blade. I honestly have never had anything but very adequate penetration on animals up to gemsbuck size with this setup.I obviously keep the larger game shots closer and broadside or slightly q-away.Will post some pics as soon as I figure out how to do it lol
Posts: 5 | From: South Africa | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunt
Member # 41994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunt   Email Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Btw, we occasionally have injured or sick cattle that have to be put down. I will test my "light" setup on the next fresh bull carcass (plus or minus 200lb animal) and maybe report back here on TG just for interest sakes.
Posts: 5 | From: South Africa | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©