JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » Rawhide backing..a pictorial (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Rawhide backing..a pictorial
the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Ferret   Author's Homepage   Email the Ferret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to rawhide back the perfect snake bow since I violated the grain run out so many times. Still may not save it, but it will generally help a straight bow with questionable grain or small violations in the back. BTW it is a nearly identical procedure to doing snakeskin backings. Here's how it's done...

First you'll need some supplies, your rawhide (generally comes in 2 stips 2" x 36" long... on this one I am using some thin calfskin that I cut from a side 1 3/4" x 36"). You'll also need your glue, a bowl, a razorblade, a towel, some tape or wire ties and some ace bandages.

-

--------------------
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Posts: 12891 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Ferret   Author's Homepage   Email the Ferret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a close up of the thin calfskin rawhide I will be using

-

--------------------
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Posts: 12891 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

First you will want to rough up the back of your bow with some sandpaper to give your glue something to adhere to

-

then blow off the dust and clean with some thinner or acetone

-

--------------------

mich-mtnman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mich-mtnman   Email mich-mtnman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
where do you get the rawhide like that ? thats sweet.

--------------------
" still trying to look like a 300# leaf "

Posts: 786 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Put a thin layer of glue on the back of 1 limb and handle smear it in with your finger making sure the entire surface is covered and let dry. This is called sizing the back

-

-

--------------------

the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Now put some luke warm water in your bowl and put in your rawhide to soak. This will make it pliable so that it can form to your bow.

-

--------------------

the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

After a few minutes remove one piece of the rawhide and lay it out on the towel

-

Fold the towel over on the rawhide and pat most of the moisture off

-

--------------------

the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Now put a thicker layer of your glue on the back of the limb and handle

-

There should be no dry spots or thin spots in your glue

-

--------------------

the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Next lay your rawhide down on the handle and back of the bow

-

If this were a straight stave I would wire tie or tape the rawhide at the handle so that I could pull it tight inducing some tension before wrapping and then wire tie or tape at the tip as well cutting off any excess length with my razor blade. (but on this snaky stave stretching the rawhide isn't going to work)

-

Start wrapping with an ace bandage at the handle (leaving room for rawhide overlap on the next piece at the handle) and wrap towards the tip overlapping your wraps by about 1/2 the width of the ace bandage. Use your other hand to make sure the edges of the rawhide are smoothed down on the edge of the limb as you wrap.

-

--------------------

the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Continue wrapping until the entire limb is wrapped and then tie off or clip the bandage. here is the first limb wrapped.

-

Then simply repeat the procedure on the other limb, and then set aside to dry for 24 hours before unwrapping. Here is the entire bow wrapped.

-

Tomorrow we will unwrap the bow and see how it looks. Then we will use a rasp to "cut" off the excess rawhide on the edges of the limb.

--------------------

trashwood
Charter Member
Member # 827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trashwood   Author's Homepage   Email trashwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great presentation Ferret. I sure hope sneeky snake hangs together.

the last year or so I have come to love big catfish skins and hide glue for rawhide backing and backing over sinew. catfish skin seems lighter weight per square inch but does not give up anything in strength.

Rusty

Posts: 5715 | From: fort worth, TX | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZStickman
Charter Member
Member # 16

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZStickman   Author's Homepage   Email AZStickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice Job Mickey....Can't wait to see how she turns out.... We're on the same wavelength today... I just finished a sinew harvest/ prep pictorial........Terry

--------------------
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 2688 | From: Mesa, AZ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Michmntmn.I picked up a side of the thin rawhide at GLLI a few years back from a vendor selling leather prods. I've traded/given most of it away over the years. Have enough left to do one more bow.BTW whitetail doe rawhide from the belly area is also very thin and tough, and a good use for that small hide.

Thanks Rusty, I'm hoping she makes it too. Would have rather had a naturally snaky piece of osage but they are just so hard to find. Catfish skin should work great it is so tough!

Cool Terry! I'm going looking for your thread.

--------------------

Dano
Contributor 2009
Member # 748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dano   Author's Homepage   Email Dano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great timing Mickey, got some bows to back soon. Great tutorial [thumbsup]

--------------------
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Posts: 7519 | From: Nevada | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buemaker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buemaker   Email Buemaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job Mickey, I often use rawhide from reindeer, I beleive you call them Caribou,it is very thin, 0,015" to 0,020" thick. Very pliable and easy to work with. Bue--.
Posts: 2052 | From: Norway | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©