JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » Bamboo backed static build along (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Bamboo backed static build along
horseapple
Contributor 2018
Member # 93

Icon 1 posted      Profile for horseapple   Author's Homepage   Email horseapple   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've Been meaning to start a static build along but never have had time, theres been some good build alongs showing how to make the selfbow recurve but none for the bamboo backed static recurve... I have a few statics to build so I said heck why not, I've always enjoyed Ferrets and John Scifres build alongs... Ok what I have is a homepage with msn so bare with me:) heres the link to follow the progress of building the bamboo backed static recurve... hope you guys enjoy it. I'll be adding pictures as I go so be patient... Also feel free to ask any questions.

JD

http://groups.msn.com/Horseapplesbowpage/bamboobows.msnw

Posts: 993 | From: Ada, OK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcoast
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lcoast   Email lcoast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, good stuff. Cool apples. [Smile]

=keith=

--------------------
=keith=

Busted chairs and broken dreams.

Posts: 2097 | From: Port Alberni, BC | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjones
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjones   Email cjones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CRAP!! this sever at work has all msn sites blocked. Guess i'll have to check it at home.

Chad

--------------------
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Posts: 4259 | From: West Union, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AkDan
Contributor 2016
Member # 429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AkDan   Email AkDan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
awesome Jd!

I notice you add a piece between the stock and the backing. Is this a piece to transition between bending and non bendin to keep the handles from popping off? If not what purpose does it server?

Thanks

Posts: 4025 | From: Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chadwick
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chadwick   Author's Homepage   Email Chadwick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JD-
I notice that you've got more than one caul going at a time, I assume on different bows. Is there any specific reason to glue the billets together before you recurve them?
Chadwick

--------------------
http://community.webshots.com/user/archerchadwick

Posts: 12 | From: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZStickman
Charter Member
Member # 16

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZStickman   Author's Homepage   Email AZStickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool JD......I'm with Timo....That Bull would be in my living room... [Big Grin] ....Terry

--------------------
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 2688 | From: Mesa, AZ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Lester
Contributor 2007
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Lester   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Lester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey if my wife would let me my whole living room would look like that. Not just the Bull. Tools and all. LOL She thinks its bad enough that I have taken over her parking spot in the garage.

JD,

10-20 hours in the form clampd up seems like a long time. But I've only done one static. We steamed it and bent it and held it for 10-5 min. Alot of the curve relaxed. Seems your way works pretty good. I will have to try it one day when I build another recurve.

--------------------
Jason Lester

Posts: 1944 | From: Cincinnati Ohio | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
huntsmanlance
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for huntsmanlance   Author's Homepage   Email huntsmanlance   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now yer talking!!! I have been hesitant to start the BBO Sparky sent me for fear of messing it up! and i didnt want to bother you or Mike until after the season was over and you were back to building!!!

Thanks JD!!!

--------------------
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Posts: 1760 | From: Moore, Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Ferret   Author's Homepage   Email the Ferret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and I just happen to have some osage slats and bamboo that Dianne got me for Christmas last year [Big Grin] ...timing couldn't have been better JD! Really excellent work on explaining things. [thumbsup]

Finally a build along by someone that knows what they are doing [bigsmyl]

as McDonalds likes to say in their commercials..."I'm lovin' it"!

--------------------
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Posts: 12891 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
horseapple
Contributor 2018
Member # 93

Icon 1 posted      Profile for horseapple   Author's Homepage   Email horseapple   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lilhunter, dang your getting ahead of me:) what your seeing is an 18" 3/16" center lam, its put in to keep the handle area from bending, my slats are 7/16" - 1/2" when glue up and I feel like that area needs additional beefing up.

There reason the Bulls in the shop is that I don't have ceilings bid enough to have it in the house... believe me I've tried:)

JD

Posts: 993 | From: Ada, OK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZStickman
Charter Member
Member # 16

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZStickman   Author's Homepage   Email AZStickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That makes sense... [Big Grin] ..Terry

--------------------
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 2688 | From: Mesa, AZ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Leemans
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 79

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Leemans   Email Tom Leemans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way cool J.D.! This will help with that "What am I gonna do with that 4th set of slats" problem I got.

-Tom

p.s. I know where to get the garrolite and when you add it on, but I forgot how thick it was and if you used Urac for it.

--------------------
Got wood? - Tom

Posts: 4847 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StanM
SPONSOR
Member # 859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StanM   Author's Homepage   Email StanM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Appreciate all you guys who do the build-alongs [thumbsup]

--------------------
Red Feather Archery

Posts: 1899 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madpigslayer
Charter Member
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Madpigslayer   Author's Homepage   Email Madpigslayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it my birthday or sumpin? this is fantastic JD!

--------------------
...gosh this is hard.

Hailey (5) 3 minutes into a pilates workout

Posts: 6159 | From: Alberta Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
horseapple
Contributor 2018
Member # 93

Thanks guys for all the input... I plan on working the bamboo backing down after work today, so the pictures will be posted later tonight.

JD

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©