JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » Drop point knife build along (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Drop point knife build along
RGK
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RGK   Email RGK       Edit/Delete Post 
I offered to make a knife as a prize for a turkey contest so I started it today. This will be a drop point blade. I am using a saw blade. Stamped into the blade was "Made in Norway" so I feel good about the steel it made from.

-

-

After roughing out the blade, I softened the handle so I can drill holes for the brass pins.

-

Then I cleaned up the edges and polished the blade.

-

After sharpening the blade, I drilled the pin holes.

-

For the handle, I am thinking of using walnut and antler or bone.

[ April 10, 2007, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Terry Green ]

--------------------
Member: WI Bowhunters Association
Member: WI Traditional Archers
Member: American Broadhead Collectors Club
Member: Sherwood Forest Bowmen

Posts: 887 | From: SE WI | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RGK
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RGK   Email RGK       Edit/Delete Post 
For the knife handle, I will use antler and walnut. I cut apart a small rack to make the sides.

-

I used J.B. weld epoxy to attach the antler to the walnut sides and then drilled the holes for the brass pins.

-

I also use J.B. weld to attach the sides to the tang and in the pin holes. The pins are a tight fit that get pounded together.

-

-

The sides are over sized and will be sanded to shape after the epoxy sets.

--------------------
Member: WI Bowhunters Association
Member: WI Traditional Archers
Member: American Broadhead Collectors Club
Member: Sherwood Forest Bowmen

Posts: 887 | From: SE WI | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john mccabe
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for john mccabe   Email john mccabe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lookin good, cant wait to see this one finished!
Posts: 383 | From: orange,ca | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dposalski
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dposalski   Email dposalski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome knife. Great shape.

--------------------
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Posts: 467 | From: Seaside, Oregon | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JEFF B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JEFF B   Email JEFF B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey that looks real good bro

--------------------
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Posts: 9466 | From: Baylys Beach New Zealand | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Over&Under
2017 Contributor
Member # 8273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Over&Under   Email Over&Under   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That will turn out sweet! Can't wait to see it!!

--------------------
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss" [Smile]

Posts: 6957 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
madness522
Contributor 2008
Member # 10719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for madness522   Email madness522   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice profile on that one. Can't wait to see it finished.

--------------------
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Posts: 2277 | From: Davidson NC | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4runr
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 8051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4runr   Email 4runr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice build-along! Good pics and info. thanks!
[clapper]

--------------------
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 8086 | From: Hartville, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ber643
Contributor 2013
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ber643   Author's Homepage   Email ber643   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice - in all aspects.

--------------------
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 21451 | From: S Coastal NC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkeGreen
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkeGreen         Edit/Delete Post 
This one is going to be sweet for sure!
Posts: 1690 | From: Indiana | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan High
Member # 11724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan High   Email Ryan High   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
very nice job I can't wait to see it complete
Posts: 75 | From: Mount Gilead ,Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Kosteczko
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Kosteczko   Email Tim Kosteczko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
very nice looks great already
Posts: 278 | From: Ulster County New York | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CMR
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CMR   Email CMR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...very nice.

What kind of saw blade is that?

Posts: 165 | From: Southeastern Michigan | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Clark
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Clark   Email Tim Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pruning saw, if I'm not mistaken.

Agree with all of the above - very nice indeed.

--------------------
Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit.

Posts: 881 | From: Clinton, New York | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badlands
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Badlands   Email Badlands   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RGK
I'm new to this, How did you cut the blade out??

It looks great and I'd like to give it a try.

Posts: 150 | From: Dickinson ND | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©