JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » Simmons Sharpening Tutorial (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Simmons Sharpening Tutorial
Scott Gray
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scott Gray   Email Scott Gray       Edit/Delete Post 
Great tutorial Chris [thumbsup]

--------------------
BlackCreek Banshee 42 lbs@28

Posts: 485 | From: Pinson Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Landshark160
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Landshark160   Email Landshark160   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TTT for the holiday crowd.

--------------------
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Posts: 741 | From: Vidalia, GA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hattrick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hattrick   Email Hattrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
roknjs
where do u get ur belts??? i have never seen a leather belt for a sander, i would like to have one

--------------------
Bull

Posts: 551 | From: westminster md | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaterHill Archer
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 6687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TaterHill Archer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee valley tools.

--------------------
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1193 | From: Arkansas - living in Texas | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Clark
Contributor 2016
Member # 463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Clark   Email Joe Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always had a problem getting these heads as sharp as I would like. I usually lose my patience and switch back to Magnus I heads.I can get them sharp lickity split. I have a few questions about the tutorial.

1. First I have never used a grinder to sharpen heads. Are you using a medium grit stone wheel or is that a cardboard wheel?

2. What kind of wax are you putting on the wheel? Plain old candle wax, bee's wax or what?

3. I assume when you are using the guide you are stroking away from your body. Maybe it don't matter but I was always taught to do it that way.

4. Lastly do you just rest the guide right on the hone? Doesn't wear the guide and the hone down?

Thanks for the turtorial for us less sharpening talented folks.

Posts: 426 | From: Sherwood Arkansas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chad R
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12995

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chad R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good questions Joe. I wondered the same thing. Great tutorial Land Shark! Thanks!!!
Posts: 134 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ttt

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 11323 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morning Star
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morning Star   Author's Homepage   Email Morning Star   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice post, might have to give my tree sharks another try.

--------------------
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Posts: 979 | From: Eastern Iowa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Landshark160
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Landshark160   Email Landshark160   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I am using a standard medium grit wheel for grinding the relief.

The wax I am using is actually called a conditioning grease that came with a cardboard wheel set I purchased. I don't know exactly what it's made up of, but it has properties similar to paraffin wax. As long as it will melt to keep the blade from building heat, I think any wax would work.

I make strokes going away for one side of the blade and toward for the other. One thing I forgot to mention is when grinding a burr, I usually go in a circular motion. When removing the burr, I just make smooth strokes. It really doesn't matter how you do it, but this is just the way I do it.

Yes, the guide rides directly on the hone. Before I started regrinding the factory bevel with the grinder, I would wear out a guide each season. But if you will grind your relief with the grinder, I wouldn't be surprised if a guide lasts 10 years or more.

As a side note, the Simmons heads you used to get when Jerry owned the company had a better angle ground on them right out of the package. They didn't look quite as polished and neat as the ones produced now, but boy would they sharpen up quick.

--------------------
Chris
>>>>--------------->

Posts: 741 | From: Vidalia, GA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Clark
Contributor 2016
Member # 463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Clark   Email Joe Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,
Thanks for answering my questions. Wasn't surprised by any of you answers but it always seems to help clear things up and make learning easier when doubt is eliminated.

Thanks again for posting the tutorial, that's the kind of stuff you can never get too much of.

Posts: 426 | From: Sherwood Arkansas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peak98
Contributor 2009
Member # 10180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peak98   Email peak98   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TTT, it's gettin that time of the year.

--------------------
peak98

traveling East, in search of more light.

Posts: 333 | From: Denham Springs, Louisiana | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peak98
Contributor 2009
Member # 10180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peak98   Email peak98   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ttt again !

--------------------
peak98

traveling East, in search of more light.

Posts: 333 | From: Denham Springs, Louisiana | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Interseptor
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11870

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Interseptor   Email Interseptor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would the Grizzly Sharpener System work in sharpening the Interseptor?

--------------------
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Posts: 757 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Carlsen
Contributor 2017
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Carlsen   Email Bill Carlsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ttt

--------------------
The best things in life....aren't things!

Posts: 5251 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Landshark160
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10536

quote:
Originally posted by Interseptor:
Would the Grizzly Sharpener System work in sharpening the Interseptor?

Yeah, it'll work fine. I use the paper wheel a good bit, but still think you get little better edge with the guide.

--------------------
Chris
>>>>--------------->

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©