JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » Make a bomb proof stumping arrow (video) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Make a bomb proof stumping arrow (video)
Friends call me Pac
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friends call me Pac   Author's Homepage   Email Friends call me Pac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know lots of folks know about footing carbons but just as many don't know how to do it. My wife filmed me as I explain how I make my stumpers. This is the toughest stumping arrow I have ever seen. Hope it helps someone that is interested but isn't sure how to go about footing an arrow.

I had to make it in 3 sections so it would play on photobucket. each segment is about 2 minutes long.

See you in the stumping woods.

-

-

-

--------------------
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames. There is no stopping now. Burn baby burn!

Posts: 1428 | From: Beebe Arkansas | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amar911
Contributor 2013
Member # 15808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amar911   Email amar911   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Pac.

Allan

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 3231 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friends call me Pac
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friends call me Pac   Author's Homepage   Email Friends call me Pac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I called the nock a insert a few times. I guess that's why I'm not a moviestar. Can't get all of the lines right. [knothead] Still I think anyone will understand what I'm talking about by watching the video.

--------------------
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames. There is no stopping now. Burn baby burn!

Posts: 1428 | From: Beebe Arkansas | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fido dog
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fido dog   Author's Homepage   Email fido dog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was awesome!

Thanks!

I've got all the supplies to make 3 extra arrows.

--------------------
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Posts: 703 | From: Pine, CO | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone Knife
Contributor 2015
Member # 10014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stone Knife   Email Stone Knife   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice [thumbsup] I use JB weld, but after watching this I'm going to give the Gorilla glue a shot, I have used it on my fishing arrows and it works good on those.

--------------------
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Posts: 6960 | From: silversprings ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
waiting4fall
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waiting4fall   Email waiting4fall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good videos. [thumbsup] [clapper]
Posts: 659 | From: WV | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArkyBob
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArkyBob   Author's Homepage   Email ArkyBob   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice vidio Duane. Nothing like seeing it versus just reading about it. Thanks

Bob

--------------------
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot." - Aldo Leopold

Posts: 710 | From: Conway, Arkansas | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friends call me Pac
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17063

The 1.5" sleeve will add around 20 gr to the tip according to my powder scale. Since I have a bunch of 125 gr magnus 2 blades I have basically made them into 145 gr heads.

The fletch cap doesn't affect the arrow any differently than a non capped arrow. I have shot groups with both intermingled and for me they all shot the same.

These videos are for CE 150. If you use a different shaft you will have to find out which size aluminum will work for you. Everything else should be the same though.

If you have tapered shafts I don't believe you can cut off the arrow at the nock end like the CE's. If you can't I don't think you would want to use this method because once the glue sets it is permanent.

--------------------
USAF Retired '85-'05

tradtusker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tradtusker   Email tradtusker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yip just like i do mine! nice videos Pac [Not Worthy] [clapper]

--------------------
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Posts: 4140 | From: African in Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LC
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LC   Email LC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice videos! Thanks have never done, might have to try it!

--------------------
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Posts: 1225 | From: Morgantown, WV | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstick   Email Blackstick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thatís a nice video you have come up with. I did try, to foot a CX250 with a 2117 and found it to be around .010 too small. The CX250s O.D. measured .305. I ended up going with the 2216 and around .006 - .007 slop.
Posts: 524 | From: NE Indiana | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fletcher
Associate Sponsor - Contributor 2016
Member # 1125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fletcher   Email Fletcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blackstick, going by the dimensions, a 2219 should be a perfect fit, .006 smaller ID than the 2216.

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Posts: 5892 | From: Rochester, IL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smallwood
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smallwood   Email Smallwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same way I do mine, the other day, I made a 10yard shot at what I thought was an old rusty one pound coffee can... It turned out to be a rock! My arrow hit so hard, it blew the insert out,never to be found again. But the arrow is still in great shape on both ends. I just installed a new insert and am still shooting that arrow!
Posts: 1609 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Killdeer
Contributor 2016
Member # 437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Killdeer   Author's Homepage   Email Killdeer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going over to my stock of "fixin'" arrows right now!

Killdeer

--------------------
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Posts: 15439 | From: Fibber McGee's Closet, VA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricker
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 17556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricker   Email Ricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case some of you do not realize the Easton arrow numbers designate measurements. The first 2 numbers are 64ths of an inch outside and the second set of numbers are the wall thickness in thousandths. So a 2216 is 22/64" outside with a .019" wall.
The diameter of the hole inside the alum shaft is the outside dimension of the arrow minus twice the wall thickness.
21/64=.328"
22/64=.343"
Just subtract 2 times the wall thickness of you arrow for the inside dimension.

2115 is .328 O.D.-.030(2x.015" wall)= .298" I.D.

2117 is .294" I.D.
2213 is .317" I.D.
2216 is .311" I.D.
2219 is .305" I.D.
Hope this helps....and check my math [readit]

I have noticed the outside dimensions of carbon arrows are different even if they are the same spine number, especially if they do or do not have a silk screened wood grain or camo on them.
I guess I'm suggesting you measure the carbons before making up the aluminum sleeves.

Rick

Posts: 727 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©