JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Product Reviews » Needed Recommendations on Flu-Flu Arrows

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Needed Recommendations on Flu-Flu Arrows
Torsten
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Torsten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyoneof you give me recommendations on how to make flu-flu arrows.
I intend to use the in autumn for canadian geese.

How do you handle the symmetricy of the feathers. How far away the goose can be? I expect 25 yards at highest.

What type of feathers, how many?

Many thanks in advance,
Torsten

Posts: 274 | From: Southern Karelia, Finland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Worden
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Worden   Email Dan Worden       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to the "how to" forum here on the TG. The is a thread on "crafting flu-flu's..."

I dug it up for you.

http://tradgang.com/flu-flu/

Posts: 3002 | From: MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
12Ring
Cadet Member
Member # 5718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 12Ring   Author's Homepage   Email 12Ring   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always put 4 feathers on mine but i don't hunt geese.

--------------------
Two Rivers Traditional Bowhunters
Central Arkansas Bowhunters
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas
Arkansas Bowhunters Association

Posts: 825 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Torsten
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Torsten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Dan,

many thanks. I am tying my own flies and have tools to try for arrows.

Posts: 274 | From: Southern Karelia, Finland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ber643
Contributor 2013
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ber643   Author's Homepage   Email ber643   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just what I needed too, Dan - thanks. I can't get 'em out of my head since woodduck had me shoot a couple he had - they are such a kick!

--------------------
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 21415 | From: S Coastal NC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Woodduck
Charter Member
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Woodduck   Author's Homepage   Email Woodduck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are really fun to shoot. I've been shooting some spiral flu-flus this week, that a fellow from here named Wingnut, who has since passed on, made for me.
I don't know how much energy they have up high but they probably go up 5 or 6 stories...
Yeah, I shot a couple straight up...kids, don't do this, "you need a hole in your head?"
Good it didn't land in my boat, ha, ha, ha...
Shooting on a level or slightly raised they go about 35 yards before diving.
The ones with big 4 fletch go further, faster, and more suited to your purpose for geese, I would imagine.
I think 3 Rivers sell nice wood ones, but the nocks used to be too large/wide for my string and I had to change them out.
Just get a full length feather, Bernie and use super glue and spiral it around carefully. They don't dig into the ground and get lost easily, but you could have one with a judo.

--------------------
Happy trails.... ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit---> (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Posts: 2603 | From: RBX to OBX | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Woodduck
Charter Member
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Woodduck   Author's Homepage   Email Woodduck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to truflightfeathers and take a look at their 'Fletching Guide'...

--------------------

Posts: 2603 | From: RBX to OBX | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Woodduck
Charter Member
Member # 50

Northwest Archery Company sells them...some of the St. Charles clan; that look real nice...

--------------------

The Ursus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 457

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Ursus   Author's Homepage   Email The Ursus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a pic of one of my flu's I made for grouse and ptarmigan. I used ramin dowells and 4" full fletchings. We took them out aerial disc shooting allong with some standard fletch shafts. The standard fletced ones made it about 170-200yrds and the Flu's went about 100yds or so. I was thinking about doing some four fletch to keep them from going so far but I'd think they'd be fine with a broadhead for geese.
 -

Posts: 574 | From: Juneau, AK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Ursus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 457

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Ursus   Author's Homepage   Email The Ursus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and those arrows only cost me about $1.30 each to make.
Posts: 574 | From: Juneau, AK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Torsten
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5459

The Ursus,
Many thanks for your help. I finally made it to make 4 fethers 5"(about) fletchings and they fly nice even with an added fishing line (rope, for my taste).
My PC still has some funny administrator locks and I cannot get to use the programs to be able to sent pics to you. They promised help.

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©