JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Product Reviews » Absorkee Quiver....by Farr West Leather (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Absorkee Quiver....by Farr West Leather
Mark Baker
Assoc Sponsor - 2017 Contributor
Member # 391

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mark Baker   Email Mark Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absorkee Quiver, by Farr West Leather....

Having been in on the design and testing of this product with Tim Roberts, I must say that you might think that I am a bit "biased" in my report here...but hey, isn't most of our positive feedback reports biased a bit?

First off, I have to say that this is a top-notch design and a quality hand-made product by someone who knows bowhunting and leatherwork. Tim is an expert in coming up with solutions that "fit" the ideas and practicality of his intentions...the Absorkee Quiver being at the top of that list.

I first approached Tim about building and selling my Quiver Caddy, to folks interested in purchasing them, as they have been around for a couple decades now, and have a loyal following of users....and I simply did not want to build them anymore. Tim, was looking for new ideas and he eagerly accepted doing so. After passing on to Tim the virtues of the Quiver Caddy, and explaining to him that if he could "replicate" the way that it worked both in size and carry, with the Kwikee Kwiver, only in an all-leather version...that I felt he could easily "sell" the whole package to bowhunters who are perpetually in the search for the "best" quiver solutions. Leather being not only a practical material for traditional accoutrements, but an artistic medium to some, Tim has taken the hip-quiver (some call it a side quiver, but I'm not so sure...) to a new level of form and function, and aesthetic heights.

I am not expectant of changing anybody's views, or likes or dislikes, about quivers. For they are a topic of personal aggravation to nearly all of us, and people tend to make their own choices based on "lesser" of evils...but I will gladly pass on my own personal likes about this method of carrying arrows in the field for hunting purposes. And there are plenty of ways this quiver and design shine above the others.

First and foremost...many of us who choose a hip quiver are usually those of us who dislike carrying our arrows in a bow quiver...but have needs that make a back quiver useless to us, mainly the ability to carry a pack. Of additional concern are the straps around the neck feature of most any option, adding to the "tangle" of binocs, calls, pack straps, neck knives, etc., that weigh on a hunters shoulders and neck vertebrae.

Those of us inclined to try a hip quiver option, were turned off by the "gunslinger" style tie-to-your-leg options, that only caused excessive flagging of your fletches in the field, and the odd "angle" that put your fletchings up and in-view of sharp-eyed game, and that also easily rocked about as the lower part rubbed on the hunters thigh every time he took a step.

That pretty much eliminated most all options for hip quivers, save one....the Idaho Side Quiver, which rode high on the waist, and trailed straight back. This was how we wanted our arrows to ride....unaffected by leg movement, and with fletchings trailing easily through thick brush, and laying horizontal when a hunter squatted in reaction to sighting game. But even this quiver had its problems....it's limited size and manner in which it held the arrows, and one inherent with all hip quivers...that you had to remove a belt to detach your quiver.

With the use of the Quiver Caddy, and Tim's ingenuity in designing a leather quiver that rode like it should, and held the arrows individually, with plenty of room for broadheads, he has truly come up with a product that is as good-looking as it is functional, and durable, and easy to use in any field application anywhere one chooses to hunt.

Period.

After using it this past season, for the full season, I am totally satisfied that now I finally have a quiver that (I was always satisfied using the Quiver Caddy/Kwikee combo) works as well as what I previously used, but looks great too.

There are a number of dedicated bowhunters who have used the Quiver Caddy through the years, and I could easily post up pics of literally hundreds of dead critters taken by these folks, from Alaska, to Texas, and Florida, to the peaks of Montana, and the beaches of Hawaii. Now, with the Absorkee Quiver they can also pack their arrows in style.

This is the EASIEST on/off quiver on the market, folks. The way it rides, and it's ease of removal and replacement on your hip, make it the easiest to use in the field....in a tangle....in a treestand....in a calling settup....or "on the crawl" towards unsuspecting game. The weight rides on your waist, and no longer on your shoulders or around your neck. It carries easily with almost any kind of pack situation. And it holds your fletchings and arrows securely, and quietly. This is a SERIOUS contender for any bowhunter looking for a great in-the-field option to the bowquiver. Give one a try....and I think you'll be sold as well.

-

-

-

--------------------
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope. I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Posts: 2299 | From: Livingston, Montana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
montanabows
SPONSOR
Member # 11047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for montanabows   Author's Homepage   Email montanabows   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hunted with the "Absorkee Quiver" by Farr West Leather all fall.

I hunted in terrain from open plains to the steep brushy mountains of western Montana and found this quiver functioned great in both. It maneuvers well through brush staying at my side like it is a part of me. Arrow removal is easy and quiet and the Craftsmanship is second to none. To sum it up I have to say that it is an exceptional quiver in all aspects, function and form.

Well done on a great product!

Dan Toelke

Posts: 27 | From: Montana | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Mitchell
Contributor 2017
Member # 85

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Mitchell   Email David Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's named after the mountain range in Montana shouldn't it be spelled "Absarokee"?

Thanks for the review--as you said, always on the look-out for better ways to carry arrows.

Posts: 4082 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimDougan
2017 Contributor
Member # 8812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TimDougan   Email TimDougan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best quiver i have used period. Hang it from your belt, pocket,or waist belt on your pack endless ways to use it. Bomb proof and way over built superb quality and great looks. Easy on off love mine the holy grail of quivers for me. TD.
Posts: 958 | From: Erie, PA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Baker
Member # 391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Baker   Email Mark Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually David...the mountain range is spelled Absaroka. There is a town near Red Lodge, MT called Absorkee, and that I think is where Tim got the name.

Absaroka means "crow" in the crow language, I think. I don't know if that denotes the tribe or the bird, though.

--------------------
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope. I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Posts: 2299 | From: Livingston, Montana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NBK
2017 Contributor
Member # 3640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NBK   Email NBK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tribe.
Looks like a great quiver, thanks for the review.

--------------------
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Posts: 1642 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Mitchell
Contributor 2017
Member # 85

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Mitchell   Email David Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Mark, for clearing that up for me. I appreciate the review--may have to pick one of these up. I like the idea of nothing hanging on my shoulder and am not a bow quiver guy. [thumbsup]
Posts: 4082 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
South MS Bowhunter
Contributor 2010
Member # 16239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for South MS Bowhunter   Email South MS Bowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark,

Is Tim a sponsor on here? I looked in the sponsor list for Farr West Leather and didn’t see it, does he have a web site?

--------------------
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Posts: 3830 | From: Mississippi | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TOEJAMMER
Contributor 2017
Member # 20372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TOEJAMMER   Email TOEJAMMER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim is an associate sponsor.
Posts: 950 | From: Colorado | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkken
Contributor 2017
Member # 14892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkken   Email elkken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just tried mine out on a mule deer hunt, all went pretty well except that while laying on a sage covered hillside glassing deer my quiver slipped off my pack belt when I got up. I fortunately discovered it missing before I wondered off too far.

I found it to be a bit heavy when packed with 5 broadheads and a judo tipped arrow and then added to my pack belt. Tim's quality is exceptional and I'm sure he could make a lighter version, the quality of leather used would last five life times of use. I have the new judo / stumper arrow model and I like that feature very much. If I can't be killing mule deer, stumps are my next best choice. On the same trip I tried out a Cat Quiver VI and found the task of stumping and putting your stumper back in the quiver without taking your pack off a major pain in the rear.

All in all a very good quality quiver with easy arrow access and it tracks well to your body through brush. The only negatives I see are weight and securely keeping it on my belt while laying down glassing.

Edit ... I was just reviewing Marks write up and pics and I see he is wearing his UNDER his pack belt. That would most likely solve my slip off problem but still make it easy to slip off in a blind or tree stand when I needed to. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 4664 | From: washington state | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Baker
Member # 391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Baker   Email Mark Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not trying to change anybodies dislikes...but here's my "logical" answer to the weight issue. Any leather quiver loaded up with arrows is gonna "weigh" more or less the same. A back quiver, a side quiver....etc. Carrying a quiver on your hip, where your legs and hip support the weight much easier than hanging around your neck or off your shoulders, seems to me to make sense. Really, you get used to the weight very easy.

Also, you're right, in that I hang my quiver from my belt, under my hip or pack belt. It is easily removed or put back that way. I will say, that doing so, I am conscious of what type pack I wear...don't like to have those pouches on my hip belt above my quiver.

Also...the only realy way to avoid the weight issue (and it isn't much really) is to use the quiver caddy/kwikee quiver option, which is still a good one. It just doesn't have the "look" of the Absorkee.

--------------------

elkken
Contributor 2017
Member # 14892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkken   Email elkken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had gotten the Absorkee just before I went on that hunt so my " exposure" to it is limited as of now. I will follow up on this review when spring gets here and I'm out shooting a bit more and doing some turkey hunting.

On most of my bows I like a bow quiver but some have heavier wood in the risers and i am looking for a good alternative to the bow quiver. I actually have no idea what this Absorkee weighs fully loaded just that it is not light. Tim has used some very quality and substantial leather to build this baby. ... More to follow in the spring [thumbsup]

--------------------
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 4664 | From: washington state | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler C. Moore
Contributor 2017
Member # 34463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyler C. Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler C. Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just contacted Tim to order his new model the Emigrant, and I cannot wait.

--------------------
Tyler C. Moore

Posts: 1354 | From: North Andover, Massachusetts / Acton, Maine | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tim roberts
Contributor 2017
Member # 6228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tim roberts   Email tim roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to say thanks to those who have bought an Absorkee Quiver, and also to those who have reviewed it!
The Absorkee and the Emigrant, both come in at under 1 1/2 pounds empty. Where it can be used aluminum is used to cut down on weight, aluminum though doesn't hold a thread well and it can't be bent like steel can. The leather is American vegetable tanned, and is 9-10 ounce, this leather is heavy enough to last a life time and aslo stand up to the rigors of hard hunting, without fear of it loosing its shape or stability!
All the work from the cutting out of the pieces, to the final assembly is done by hand, this in my opinion helps keep quality at its highest, and insures that every piece has its own unquieness!
There is also a fletch cover that has been designed espically for the Absorkee Quiver.
Thanks again!!!

--------------------
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Posts: 1581 | From: Fort Benton, Montana | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maxx Black
Contributor 2016
Member # 22936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maxx Black   Email Maxx Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim/Mark,
The Quiver has given me the freedom to move where and when I Please. I mostly ground hunt,my movement through the bush is not hampered, but if the desire is to be in a tree , so be it. Just remove the quiver and hang it up . Easy access! The weight hasn't be a concern,as it is not around my neck with all my other stuff. All Good.
Maxx

--------------------
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Posts: 525 | From: Vermilion,Alberta | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©