Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » NEW JERSEY - Traditional Archers of New Jersey » NJ Newbie guidance- gear purchase

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NJ Newbie guidance- gear purchase
ageofcarrot
Member # 36346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ageofcarrot   Email ageofcarrot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all!
I have been introduced to this site by Rob when I was getting my guitar work done. Thanks so much for that! I always wanted to get into bow hunting.

I need help in the purchase of gears. I hope to buy my first bow and arrows and start get myself into it. I am just lost in the fact that I can't even figure out my draw length, bow length, what type of bows I want...

About how much to spend on the beginning gear? (this is important because it will determine how soon I can get into this, saving money takes time for me)
Is there a store in NJ that I can go?

thanks a bunch in advance.

Posts: 21 | From: NJ | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Recurve50 LBS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Recurve50 LBS   Email Recurve50 LBS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! What part of the state do you live in?

--------------------
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Posts: 976 | From: Boonton NJ | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ageofcarrot
Member # 36346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ageofcarrot   Email ageofcarrot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you. I live in North Jersey. Near George Washington Bridge.
Posts: 21 | From: NJ | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcortez6
Member # 35878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rcortez6   Email rcortez6   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in northern nj too. In bergen county in fact. You can head over to Targeteers in Saddle Brook on route 46. They're all really helpful there, even if they are a little rough around the edges. They'll help you figure out all the numbers for you. They've also got an archery range where you'll find me shooting once or twice a week.

Brand new gear can be really pricey. My first and most treasured bow I purchased from a fellow TradGanger in this forum. It's a Herter's Sitka from 1969. I'd suggest buying a used bow from the classified section here; it'll be cheaper and you can trust the guys that are selling the bows.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 22 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ageofcarrot
Member # 36346

thank you! I will definitely stop by that place. Once I get the numbers I will look at the classified.
Tajue17
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tajue17   Email Tajue17   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey we can get you started here though but we all have our own ways of doing things. I teach alot of folks up my way and 1st I can say this.

draw length you can do at home,, have someone hold a broom stick pointing into the center of your chest where your heart is,, now stretch your hands out and touch the broom stick as far out as you can with your two middle fingers and pinch it together and then mark that spot and measure it,,,, thats going to be your draw max length for now and maybe for life. unless you get to try a few different things start with a recurve around 35-40lbs,,, 45 if you know your strong but no more than that for now so you can learn good form,, trust me on this the light weight is important!

if you get no luck in that store or need a 2nd opinion PM me or someone else here for help I second you buying from folks here and if your a tight on cash musician like I was then once I know what bow weight you end up with I may have some stuff I can donate to your new adventure..

T,,,, another musician?? what type of music and do you come up to Boston at all?

--------------------
"Us vs Them"

Posts: 3180 | From: Plymouth Rock, Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Recurve50 LBS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Recurve50 LBS   Email Recurve50 LBS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMHO I think that you and rcortez6 should meet up. It's always better to come into a sport and have a mentor. You guys are in the same area. I'm a bit farther west in Morris County.

--------------------
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Posts: 976 | From: Boonton NJ | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ageofcarrot
Member # 36346

THANK YOU GUYS!
Life has taken me to a place where I had to put aside my new interest..
I don't know if anyone will be reading this reply after 2 months, but I appreciate your help.

Instead of broom stick I used a tape measure and I got 27" 1/2.
I will be looking at classified.

JMSmithy
Contributor 2015
Member # 34748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JMSmithy   Email JMSmithy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AOC,

Cool..I too am in No Jersey...guys here are a terrific resource. Been shooting compounds for 30+ years, trad now last 2.5 and have never looked back...it's intoxicating and as expressive as a music career can be ( drummer for long time as well!).

Please don't hesitate w any questions, thoughts etc...can pm me anytime as well...good luck!!

[archer2] [campfire]

Posts: 212 | From: NJ & Adirondacks | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©