Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Build Alongs » Takedown Recurve Build-a-long (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Takedown Recurve Build-a-long
Jason R. Wesbrock
Charter
Member # 367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason R. Wesbrock   Email Jason R. Wesbrock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anatomy of a Carp Bow

Since I was in need of a new recurve for bowfishing, which is as good a reason as any when youíre justifying a new bow, I decided to grab my camera and try my hand at a build-a-long. Iím sure some of the more seasoned bowyers here have better ways of doing thing than what Iíve shown here, so please feel free to speak up. Iím always looking for a better way to do things.

Youíll notice that Iím not wearing eye, ear or breathing protection in any of the photos. Those things were removed for the photos only, since working a camera with all that stuff on is a royal pain in the rear. Always wear proper protection when doing woodworking. Now thenÖ

Weíll start with the limbs. I want this bow 62Ē long and pulling just short of 60# at my 32Ē draw length. For that combination of length and weight Iíll use .040 clear fiberglass and a core consisting of two actionboo laminations, one .060 parallel and a .100 thick .002/inch taper. And since I donít like the light color of natural actionboo, I stain my laminations with Minwax.

All limb materials are properly cleaned and laid out in the order theyíll be glued together. From bottom to topÖglass, taper, wedge, parallel, glass.

-

Once the pieces are glued and stacked on top of each other, theyíre put in the form.

-

The top of the form is bolted down and the fire hose is inflated to 70 psi. After 8 hours in the hotbox at 180 degrees, the limb will be properly cured.

-

Once the limb has cooled to room temperature, itís removed from the press. The glue thatís squeezed out during the lamination process is very sharp. Be careless here and youíll get cut quick and deep (been there, done that, ruined the t-shirt). Thick leather gloves are a must

The limb profile is traced from a template. A beltsander is used to reduce the limbs to proper dimensions.

-

-

Posts: 3752 | From: Northeast Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason R. Wesbrock
Charter
Member # 367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason R. Wesbrock   Email Jason R. Wesbrock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now weíll move on to the riser block. For this bow I decided to use a combination of cocobolo and bubinga with purpleheart and maple accent stripes.

Grinding accent stripes isnít too difficult with a drill press, sanding drum and a simple jig. I also thin down my pieces for overlays with this grinding system.

-

Riser pieces are rough cut on a bandsaw.

-

After that, theyíre clamped to a template and a sanding drum with a roller guide is used to get gluing surfaces to exact specifications. If the curves are inconsistent, not only will the glue lines look horrible, but they stand a good chance of failing. A course grit sanding sleeve leaves the surfaces rough enough to glue up properly.

-

Always do a dry run before glue-up. After youíve slathered Smooth-On all over everything is a poor time to realize youíve made a mistake (done that too). I usually clamp everything together and use a spotlight to check for gaps. If everything looks good, Iíll glue the riser block together and put it in the hotbox for 8 hours at 180 degrees to cure.

-

Once the riser block is cured and cooled to room temperature the excess glue is sanded off and the block is squared up. Then itís cut to accept the limbs, and those surfaces are squared and flattened up on a jointer.

-

A drill press comes in handy for attaching the limbs to the riser block. This part always makes me nervous. Right here is were your limb alignment will be dead on or a total mess.

-

A tap is used for installing the bolt inserts.

-

The limbs are bolted down, rough string nocks are filed in and the bow is strung. After a few minor adjustments, the tiller seems straight.

-

Posts: 3752 | From: Northeast Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason R. Wesbrock
Charter
Member # 367

For tip overlays Iím using black linen phenolic sandwiched between pieces of cocobolo. Small c-clamps and CA glue set them up quickly.

-

Now itís time to rough shape the riser. After cutting to rough dimentions on a bandsaw, I go to a a drill press with one-, two-, and thee-inch diameter sanding drums.

-

Once the rough shape is where I want it, itís time to move on to hand toolsórasps, files, scrapers, sandpaper and emery cloth.

-

Riser inserts are installed, the wood grain is filled with CA glue and several coats of Thunderbird are sprayed with an airbrush. After that cures, itís just a matter of buffing everything out, bolting it together and going through the tuning process.

-

When it was all said and done, I hit weightó58# @ 32Ē. And since no bow is truly finished until it serves its intended purpose, itís time to take this recurve out for a little pre-spawn carp action on the Fox River. The waterís a little cool, but the sunís bright today and the breeze is mild. If Iím slow and quiet, and my aim is true, maybe the fish will cooperate and Iíll break this bow in properly.

-

rabbitman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rabbitman   Email rabbitman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason...great build along and pics. Beautiful bow. Good job.
Posts: 2446 | From: Beavercreek, Ohio | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luke Vander Vennen
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke Vander Vennen   Email Luke Vander Vennen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great buildalong! Thanks [Smile]

And that's an awesome looking bow too [thumbsup]

--------------------
Dances with Turtles

Posts: 1995 | From: Ontario | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildmanSC
Contributor 2014
Member # 115

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildmanSC   Email WildmanSC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason,

That's a gorgeous bow. And you have "blooded" it properly! Congratulations!

Bill

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Morrison Cheyenne Recurve 62", 45#@28"
Tall Tines Recurve 62", 49#@28"
Bill Stewart Multicam TD Recurve, 60", 50#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Posts: 4329 | From: Goose Creek, SC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Dente
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Dente   Email Al Dente   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way 2 Go Jason. Bow looks great, you proved it shoots great by that carp ya got, and thanks for sharing it all with us. I still tell people about the conduit deer cart that I made from your prototype several years ago. Keep 'em coming.

--------------------
Vice President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
All the best to you and yours
>>>>------------------------>

Posts: 1227 | From: New York | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticshooter
Assoc. Sponsor
Member # 2000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticshooter   Email sticshooter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Jason now that ya killed some carp with my new bow when ya gonna send it to me? [tunglaff] Outstanding my friend.<><<><

--------------------
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp Stic."
TGMM

Posts: 9649 | From: Foot of the Cross! < WI | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wakolbinger
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wakolbinger   Email wakolbinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice!

I fish that same river.....

danny

Posts: 301 | From: Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dano
Contributor 2009
Member # 748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dano   Author's Homepage   Email Dano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great build-a-long and bow Jason [thumbsup]

--------------------
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Posts: 7500 | From: Nevada | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeronut
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aeronut   Email Aeronut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful bow Jason! Really like the riser wood combination.

Dennis

Posts: 1519 | From: Osage Township, McCune, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GEREP
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GEREP   Email GEREP       Edit/Delete Post 
Man I wish I could do that...NICE job Jason.

[thumbsup]

KPC

--------------------
To the best of my knowledge, no man, on his death bed, ever said "I wish I had spent more time at the office..."

Posts: 969 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayhawker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jayhawker   Email jayhawker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a fantastic build-along. Very nicely done. I'm sure it's a lot of work to photograph and document the process from start to finish but I for one, appreciate the effort. Thanks again, Mike.
Posts: 165 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wislnwings
Contributor 2014
Member # 7382

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wislnwings   Email wislnwings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really cool build-a-long. Thanks for sharing with those of us who are kicking around the idea of trying to build our own.
Posts: 1030 | From: Gonzales, LA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Baker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Baker   Email Rich Baker       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW thats awsome I wish I could do that man !!!
Posts: 579 | From: Troutdale Oregon | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©