Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Shooting » Asbell style (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Asbell style
bodkin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bodkin   Email bodkin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is his style effective ?Just got hold of all of his works,a video and three books.This style looks rother wild,what do you think ?

b.

Posts: 143 | From: europe | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowhunter57
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowhunter57   Email Bowhunter57   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bodkin,
What's "wild" about Fred G. Asbell's style?

I shoot almost exactly the same way (I tend to hold my anchor for a few seconds, before releasing) and I don't see anything radical about the style. Archery is a personal sport, people are different and the combination of the two makes it very enjoyable. [Wink]

I shot with a guy on a 3-D course that just before he would release, he's drop his bow arm rather quickly (about 4 to 5 inches) and then restore it to it's orginal location and release the string. I didn't understand that method/ style, but it worked for him, because he was deadly accurate. This style of shooting is against all of the "rules" for proper form, but like I said, "it worked for him". [Big Grin]

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

--------------------
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter. - Ernest Hemingway

Posts: 130 | From: N.W. Ohio | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Woodring
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Woodring   Email Ben Woodring   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not up to speed on the textbook styles...could you explain...I'd be happy to compare it to my style and those I shoot with.
Posts: 655 | From: Calhoun County MI, Defiance County OH | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger Norris
SPONSOR
Member # 601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Norris   Author's Homepage   Email Roger Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Read it again. Nothing wild about it. He will tell you himself that you don't need to release as quick as he does, if it doesn't feel right.

--------------------
"I think wolves would find me stringy, of high cholesterol, with an Irish whiskey aftertaste"
www.Tradwoodsman.com What the heck is an Arrow Canoe?

Posts: 3985 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RayMO
Contributor 2011
Member # 680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RayMO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing wild that I see. I have both of his books and the video. If books could make you a good shoot I would be one of the best [Big Grin] . Fred, is right on with the basics of good form. Take what works for you.
Posts: 1899 | From: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Woodring
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Woodring   Email Ben Woodring   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just corresponded with a friend that had personal intruction with Asbell, said it was a help but that Asbell didn't actually shoot like he said a person should?? I think that shows we all start with basics but develop a unique style that can't really be defined or taught
Posts: 655 | From: Calhoun County MI, Defiance County OH | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moe Monsarrat
Member # 408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moe Monsarrat   Author's Homepage   Email Moe Monsarrat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the wildest thing about G. Fred's style is his grip. My God, how does he shoot like that? I tried his two fingered grip once & the bow jumped out of my hand & wiggled around on the ground for a while. Other than that, I watched his video & really enjoyed it. Very helpful.
Posts: 68 | From: Johnson City, Tx | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason R. Wesbrock
Charter
Member # 367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason R. Wesbrock   Email Jason R. Wesbrock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two of the deadliest 3D shooters I know are split-finger / canted bow / instinctive archers. So I guess the answer is yes, it can be extremely effective.
Posts: 3771 | From: Northeast Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Bulla
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Bulla   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bulla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess I'll be the first one here to offer a somewhat dissenting opinion... Or perhaps a better term would be a word of caution?

That style can and does work incredibly well for many people but I honestly believe that it can also lead to target panic in many shooters. I'm not sure why except that maybe too many of us try to shoot quickly before we are ready. It sucked me in with that I know. Fred does talk about proper form in his books (I've only read the first one so can't be sure of the other) but throughout the book he keeps bragging about all the awkward positions, half drawn, floating anchor type shots where he's killed animals and it left me, as a beginner, with the impression that the form part didn't really matter. That's just not the case.

In two years time I had more bad habits than you could count. My draw had gone from almost 31" down to about 26" and I couldn't hold at anchor on a target I intended to shoot at to save my life.

Now I can't honestly blame all that on G. Fred but being the "icon" that he is and reading his stories just reinforced my (then uneducated and uninformed) belief at the time that you could just "grip it and rip it" if you just concentrated hard enough on the spot you wanted to hit. All the 'instinctive' jargon gets repeated over and over again by 90% of the writers in the business but few ever stress proper form in a way that places the proper importance on it.

I've had to totally change my shooting style and really work on the basics of form to correct the bad habits I picked up along the way. I can hit a solid anchor every time if I pause before the shot but I still have trouble relaxing and holding on target. For some people it doesn't matter if they start out shooting instinctively or not. They just naturally have good form and never develop any problems. For myself and a lot of other shooters I know, especially ones who had no one to teach us and who had to rely on what we read, things would have been much better if we'd learned and stressed proper form and maybe practiced an aiming method to start out and then WHEN WE WERE PROFICIENT started easing into an instinctive style.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe instinctive shooting is a goal more than it is a method and proper form is needed as a foundation before you can master it.

As for the books? They are a great read and have lots of great info. Just make sure to read and reread the chapters on form and PRACTICE PROPERLY!

Dave

--------------------
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Posts: 3285 | From: Kansas City MO | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hackbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hackbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave Bulla......email me at Hackbow1@cs.com

As for Asbell's method(s). I shot better after reading the second book and applying a few things he suggested. I still have aspects of my old shooting style that I liked and therefore kept 'em.

Mess around with a bunch of different ways of doing things and have fun. You know I've taught both my boys to shoot, but none of the three of us use exactly the same style. I don't try to correct them as much as guide them. That's how I've used Asbell's and other's information.

Make it fun!

Posts: 1249 | From: North Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Naked in NH
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Naked in NH   Author's Homepage   Email Naked in NH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"If one could learn by watching, then a dog would be the best butcher"
-Hungarian Proverb

Getting advice and seeing it done is valuable, but shooting style is very personal and needs some experimentation. Watching your own form will likely improve shooting more than anything, I'd guess.

--------------------
-pablo
making shavings in the 603

Posts: 492 | From: Londonderry, NH | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger Norris
SPONSOR
Member # 601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Norris   Author's Homepage   Email Roger Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked Fred directly about the difference between his style and mine....mainly the fact that he releases almost immediatly, while I may hold a few seconds more, and am not always consistent in the time length of my hold at anchor. He commented that if you accept the brain as the "computer" in the shooting equation, it is not incorrect for the brain to take more or less time to calculate the shot, depending on how often you have duplicated that exact shot. For example, I tend to shoot quickly from the ground out to about 20 yards, but beyond that, or from a tree, I hold longer.Basic form is important, but your own style should emerge eventually.

By the, I am not speaking for Fred, just relaying a conversation we had.

--------------------
"I think wolves would find me stringy, of high cholesterol, with an Irish whiskey aftertaste"

Posts: 3985 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Lyon
Charter Member - Contributor 2017
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Lyon   Email Ray Lyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pablo has a great point about watching yourself shoot. Many of the top golf academy's have video taping of your swing and then it's reviewed with the pro and you go back out and swing some more, maybe changing a thing or two.

You can do the same thing by taping yourself with a home video camera. It's been said that you can't perform a hand eye cordination thing well, until you can visualize yourself doing it well. I think there's probably some truth to this and it's aluded to in Roger Norris' conversation with G. Fred, when they talk about the brain being programmed.

I also like Larry Yein's article's on perfect practice and shooting up close to the bales with your eye's closed to train your body what is the correct "feel" to a shot. In doing this, you are ignoring aiming and just concentrating on correct form. John Schultz says in his video about the Hill style "proper form is the basic foundation of good shooting. If your form is right you won't be too far off target at 50 yards" (that's paraphrase from memory).

Anyway, I think all the top shooters have a consistant form that they work on and hold as gospel. I've shot 3D and practiced in deer camp with G. Fred, and he's an excellent shot. His form works for HIM.

Watch yourself on video, practice form up close to the bales with your eyes closed and find what works for you and then repeat it over and over. That's what it takes to become a great instinctive shooter.

--------------------
Shrewhaven Lodge co-chef

Posts: 4349 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger Norris
SPONSOR
Member # 601

By the way, there is no "system" out there that will make you a great shot, always. The best shooters I know are ALWAYS shooting, practicing, working on things like the close target shooting Ray mentioned. And even the great shooters have a bad shot, or a bad day.

It seems to me, that a shot has stages. The further away from the release stage that you are, the more you can duplicate someone else's form (the beginning of the draw). The closer to the release you are, (the anchor and release), the more personalized it has to be. Fred may release in a split second and anchor at the corner of his mouth. You may hold for 3 seconds and anchor on a tooth. Both can produce a great arrow down range. Does that make sense?

--------------------

3 Fingers Under
***unregistered***

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Dave Bulla,
Your comments echo my experiences, I really respect "Fred Asbell" but can't seem to do it "his way"!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©