Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

This topic has been moved to Hunting.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Shooting » Tom Mussatto's wicked edge revisited.... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Tom Mussatto's wicked edge revisited....
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post 
Being that I shoot 4 blades almost exculsively, and Wensel Woodsmens outta some bows, I sharpen then a bit differently. I got some big nasty Ace 175 two bladers...and applied Tom's method.

The edge is micro serrated, and when you run your finger down the blade, its like it just sucks your skin deeper into the blade. Just grabs and pulles deeper. So, be careful if you try it.

Tom Mussatto's micro ripper

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 31048 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StanM
SPONSOR
Member # 859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StanM   Author's Homepage   Email StanM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scary ain't they, Terry. [scared] I been a file fan since I started messing around with them a couple of years ago after watching Tom's video and reading Dean's article. Good stuff.

--------------------
Red Feather Archery

Posts: 1899 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Leemans
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 79

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Leemans   Email Tom Leemans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've liked file sharpening ever since I was a kid watching a film of Fred Bear sitting near a campfire, touching up his Razorheads with a file, saying something about making sure you touch them up every so often. After a few light strokes, he said "...and that's all you need."

--------------------
Got wood? - Tom

Posts: 4847 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legolas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legolas   Email Legolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry,

Dude did ya get my email?

Tom sent me some of his broadheads so I could know for sure what his felt like. [bigsmyl]

When I clean up the micro serrations a bit after putting them in "Tom M." style, I almost get back to where I started. [Confused]

Like I keep telling everybody don't file sharpen in just your boxers.

P.Byron Mullins

--------------------
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Posts: 1222 | From: Athens, OH (Middle Earth) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Van/TX
Charter Member
Member # 312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Van/TX   Email Van/TX   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The edge is micro serrated, and when you run your finger down the blade, its like it just sucks your skin deeper into the blade.
Yep, that's the way I was taught [wavey] [thumbsup] ....Van

--------------------
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Posts: 5696 | From: Live Oak, Texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dean Torges
Charter Member
Member # 757

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dean Torges   Author's Homepage   Email Dean Torges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there's something wicked about that boy, but this ain't it. I think it's his sense of humor.

--------------------
"Carve a little wood, pull a few strings, and sometimes magic happens." --Gepetto

Posts: 373 | From: Ostrander, OH | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Leemans
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 79

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Leemans   Email Tom Leemans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Deano! How was Oz?

--------------------
Got wood? - Tom

Posts: 4847 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post 
Legolas,

Figured out why you may have been 'getting back to where you started' trying the Mussatto edge.

I goofed up today...and figured out why I did the same as you....wrong angle on the serations.

I applied TOO steep an angle making the serations. Seems ya gotta be closer to the original angle you started with. I made very steep angled serrations, and I had to start over.

Gonna give it another go in a bit...my youngest came running in, and the B'head when up on the dresser ASAP [scared]

--------------------

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Posts: 31048 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Yep...that did it. And remember...VERY light pressure when knocking off the serration burr's or you reduce the serrations too much.

--------------------

JC
Contributor 2014
Member # 148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JC   Email JC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any of you file sharpening fellows going to Elberton shoot? I gotta see this done in person...I've always done mine "smoother is better" but may have to try this.

Joe

--------------------
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Posts: 9619 | From: Ranger, GA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Geeezzz...can everyone get the sound on this video OK?....mine is playing very low. Thought I'd have another look at it, and can just barely hear it.

--------------------

Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Looks like I got a problem with my widows media player, since my real player's volume is just fine and dandy.

--------------------

bayoulongbowman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bayoulongbowman   Email bayoulongbowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry , the volume has always been bad for me too mark#78

--------------------
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had better be right!"

Posts: 12170 | From: Baton Rouge , La. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Mussatto
Contributor 2011
Member # 444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Mussatto   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mussatto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the quality of the video is bad, the sound is bad (lot of wind noise), and I don't explain things very well. It's a very easy and quick process but hard to explain. I'll try and do a better video clip tomorrow and send it to Terry.

--------------------
Tom Mussatto

Posts: 1311 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelander
Contributor 2011
Member # 2629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelander   Author's Homepage   Email Pinelander   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sharp indeed. Serrated without a lot of "overworking" creates an evil-sharp edge. Got to use a very light touch when "cleanin' 'em up".
Posts: 894 | From: N. Illinois | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©