Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Shooting » instictive shooting (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: instictive shooting
m laughlin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8120

Icon 5 posted      Profile for m laughlin   Email m laughlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if a person shoots ten differant bows of differant wght every day can he actually shoot instinctive? seems to me it would be difficult. can you guys do it? even if its just two. lets say one @52# and one at @70#.can your mind actually handle it? i'm just curious but everything i shoot is right at about the same # but i actually want to try something a little less but actually wonder if i would have problems. thanks for the input.

--------------------
"what your eyes ain't seen, your hands ain't touched,and your life ain't done ain't always safe for such easy judgement."-C.M. Sackett

Posts: 614 | From: montana | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Woodduck
Charter Member
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Woodduck   Author's Homepage   Email Woodduck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll venture to say, shooting a lighter one will improve your accuracy; when you go back to your regular weight/bow. I like to work on form with the lighter one.
Two or three shots with the heavier bow and you shoot high but then settle in and shoot tighter, I'll bet...

--------------------
Happy trails.... ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit---> (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Posts: 2603 | From: RBX to OBX | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m laughlin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m laughlin   Email m laughlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
instinctive might be a suggestion in spelling.

--------------------
"what your eyes ain't seen, your hands ain't touched,and your life ain't done ain't always safe for such easy judgement."-C.M. Sackett

Posts: 614 | From: montana | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post 
If you practice enough, no reason you can't.

No different then picking up one of 7 different bass fishing rods of different lengths, actions, and lure weights.....or shooting multiple shot guns and loads at clays.

Just takes a lot more practice to master each bow's characteristics and trajectory.

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 31120 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DAS Kinetic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAS Kinetic   Email DAS Kinetic       Edit/Delete Post 
For me there is always an adjustment period. I'm sure it is a personal thing. That's why I tend to have very few bows, like 1 or 2!
Posts: 325 | From: Central Oregon | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, you can weigh you arrows accordingly, get real close to the same FPS and take the trajectory out of the equation.

I usually take a few shots with my selfbow when I'm in the mood to take it.

--------------------

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Posts: 31120 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snakewood3
SPONSOR
Member # 6401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snakewood3   Email snakewood3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Terry and Woodduck. I shoot 2 or 3 bows almost daily. I feel like after warming up / working form that going to a heavier draw weight helps strength training. As Terry said you adjust arrow weight accordingly to keep the trajectory close....Chuck

--------------------
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Posts: 1581 | From: PraireDogTownForkof theRedRiver TX | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt E
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt E   Author's Homepage   Email Matt E   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Changing bows always required several days for me to get comfortable. Close up it didn't matter much at but 20 to 30 yards I seldom shot as well.It made little difference if the bow was the same weight and draw as my regular bow.It similar to a pair of new shoes, just take a little time to settle in.
Posts: 1299 | From: N.C. | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
woodsman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for woodsman   Author's Homepage   Email woodsman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The distance between my hand and the arrow plays a bigger role in causing trouble for me. It's tuff adjusting from a bow that the arrow sits right on my hand to one the arrow sits an inch above my hand....

Chris

Posts: 417 | From: Watson, missouri | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swampbuck
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swampbuck   Email swampbuck       Edit/Delete Post 
"if a person shoots ten differant bows of differant wght every day can he actually shoot instinctive?"

Ofcourse he can and he can woeght the arrows to get the same fps like Terry suggested to help take the trajectory out of the picture....The ??? should be can he reach his/her full potential?? IMO the answer is NO.Sure he/she can get plenty good enough given enough time but I,d suggest picking a style of bow that fits you best and esstablish a strong foundation of good form/shooting....with that esstablished changeing bows on occasion will only require a few shots to be plenty good enough for hunting....without a good foundation....it can be done but ya better have lots of time.Good luck!!

--------------------
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Posts: 3101 | From: Byron NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

quote:
Originally posted by swampbuck:

The ??? should be can he reach his/her full potential?? IMO the answer is NO.

If a person can only shoot one bow....has he reached his full potential?

Just a thought........but in my opinion, no. Same if a person only has one shot.

--------------------

m laughlin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m laughlin   Email m laughlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks guys. i'm still listening. it would be awful hard to only own one. i've got the bow bug since coming here.

--------------------

Matt E
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt E   Author's Homepage   Email Matt E   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The question is ,"Can he shoot instinctive with different bows". Yes he sure can but can one group as well. I don't think so until he has acclimated his self to the change.Any small change is a big change to a true instinctive shooter from what my experinces has shown me.It plays with the mind when something doesn't feel right, even if the trajectory is identical. If you use some aiming device it is a different matter. ....It also depends on ones definition of what instinctive really means. I follow the previous statement that full potential will not be reached this way.This is the down side. [Frown]
Posts: 1299 | From: N.C. | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Casto Jr
Contributor 2014
Member # 3606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Casto Jr   Email Jim Casto Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you can. I'm a "concentrate on the mark" shooter. I've bare shaft tuned and chronographed all my bows. I get them shooting within 3 fps of each other no matter what the weight is. It's not that hard. You can add a cat whisker here, take a strand from the string there, add a heavier point here, use a lighter shaft there. Just be sure to write everything down someplace. Anyway, I maintain the same sight picture from my 35# to 65# bows, and never have to spend a few days or weeks to compensate. It works for me out to about 30 to 35 yards very well.

Jim

--------------------
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot."
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008

Posts: 1204 | From: WV | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JC
Contributor 2014
Member # 148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JC   Email JC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Terry and Jim on this one. I'll take a break from my favorite Morrison and shoot one of my longbows for a couple of days. Seems like it only takes an arrow or three at most before I'm pretty close to where I want to be.

I'll go so far to say that I feel that shooting different bows on a regular basis, in addition to a lot of time with you favorite, will actually make you a better shot. My first few years of shooting trad, as my accuracy really began to improve, I was deathly afraid I would "lose" my shot or degrade my accuracy by owning and shooting other bows. It's difficult to explain but....shooting other bows has helped me discover more about knowing each nuance of my shot intimately. It also has built my confidence in my shot, knowing that no matter what bow I pick up, with very little alteration to my shot, I can be very accurate at hunting ranges...then go back to my favorite and within a few shots be 100% confident that I have lost nothing.

--------------------
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Posts: 9619 | From: Ranger, GA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©