Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Yet another grip question. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Yet another grip question.
Darryl R.
Member # 44025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darryl R.   Email Darryl R.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way you grip has a tremendous effect on arrow flight and consistency.

One way to find what works best for your individual style is to make 6 bareshafts that match your hunting arrows.

Shoot the bareshafts for a grouping and you'll easily see how a minor change in the pressure points of your grip affects the arrow impact point and the flight of the arrow. You can even create false weak or stiff spine reads by changing your grip pressure. For me personally, I found that the thumb and forefinger only provides me with the most consistent bareshaft flight and the point of impact goes where I'm looking.

Your mileage may vary.

The best way to check is shoot many groups of bareshafts only and see how the arrows behave to minor changes in your grip.

--------------------
Bob Lee Exotic 53#@28
Bob Lee Signature 53@28
Tomahawk Woodland Hunter 57#@28
Bear Super Kodiak 50#@28

Posts: 17 | From: Houston Texas | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TSP
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TSP   Email TSP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good alignment from the arrow through to the draw elbow will allow your grip to figure itself out for any given bow. Resist overthinking it...keep it simple.
Posts: 2030 | From: Maine | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YosemiteSam   Email YosemiteSam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're not already familiar with the concept of the artillery hold in shooting spring piston air rifles, I suggest you check it out. As I understand it, the same concept applies in archery. It's less a function in the specific grip and more a function of how the bow reacts after the shot. The more consistent you allow the bow to jump after the shot, the more consistent the shot will be. Pellets typically travel at about 700 fps and even slight details can alter the shot before the pellet has time to leave the barrel. Bows are shooting less than 200 fps and "offhand" so the effect is even more pronounced. Grip it however you want. Just do it as little as possible and as consistently as possible.

While experimenting with a thumb ring, I had the string slip out a few times. Both the bow and the arrow launched about 10' from where I stood. I definitely botched the shot but it was interesting to see just how little grip I put on the bow during my draw sequence. I reckon I've messed up a fair amount of shots just grabbing it mid-shot during the recoil.

--------------------
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Posts: 420 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longbow fanatic 1
2017 Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for longbow fanatic 1   Email longbow fanatic 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As previously stated, I shoot thumb and index finger touching. I also curl my remaining fingers next to the side of the bow grip, so I minimize torquing the bow.

--------------------
A&H ACS CX 66" 45#@28
60"Trad Tech riser, Black Max limbs 45@28
1965 Fred Bear Kodiak 60" 47#@28

Posts: 2373 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenneth butler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenneth butler   Email kenneth butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My straight grip Hill bow seems to require a firm hold. For re-curves the fingers are just curled around lightly enough to keep from dropping it. The bows tend to find where they want to rest in my hand with a little tension on the string then curl the fingers around the grip. Ken
Posts: 141 | From: texas | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riivioristo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riivioristo   Email riivioristo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone steted, that when your bow kinda jumps toward your target when you release - your hold is ok...so your grip should be quite relaxed...no gripping -> torgue.

Longbows in other hand need to be shot with firm grip...mean those Hill syles with broom stick handles. You kinda master a longbow with authority, so you hold your bow to show who is the boss here [Big Grin]

--------------------
You lost your money-you lost nothing, you lost your health-you lost something, you lost your personality-you lost everything...

Posts: 185 | From: Finland, Europe | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenneth butler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenneth butler   Email kenneth butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly what McDave said for the recurves and similar grip long bows. I will add that my Howard Hill straight grip, seems to prefer a full contact firm grip. Could just be me. Ken
Posts: 141 | From: texas | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to do a video shooting while holding the lower fade out.

--------------------
"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & **** ********** (coming soon)

Posts: 29983 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenneth butler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45035

Not sure what you mean Terry by "holding the lower fade out" but I watch all your videos. I will be looking for this one.Ken
Woodduck
Charter Member
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Woodduck   Author's Homepage   Email Woodduck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would like to see the video, Terry!

--------------------
Happy trails.... ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit---> (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Posts: 2599 | From: RBX to OBX | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BWallace10327
Contributor 2017
Member # 15447

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BWallace10327   Author's Homepage   Email BWallace10327   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moebow provided some great insight on the topic several years back. Here is the tread; it has helped me so much I keep it bookmarked.
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=005763#000000

--------------------
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Posts: 799 | From: Four Corner Area, Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©