Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Shoot better in the field than on target? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Shoot better in the field than on target?
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 5 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard it said on occasion and never thought it made any difference but lately I've been re thinking it. The reason being that I've been noticing that I'm far more "on" in the woods on birds, squirrels and bunnies than on targets.

It really stood out when I shot an nfaa indoor single bull. It was a struggle to keep three arrows in 8 inches at 20 yards. At the same distance I'm heck on pine cones and Stumps and am pretty hard on bunnies and even our very small pine squirrels.

My own thoughts are that field shots just don't involve as much thinking as paper.

BTW, this isn't me trying to explain rotten scores on targets. In fact that NFA target was the first I've shot in over twenty years. Don't shoot 3D or other competitions either.

--------------------
Monterey

"Where is the Life we have lost in living?
Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?"

Thomas Stearns Eliot
(1888-1965)

Posts: 2603 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fnshtr
Contributor 2017
Member # 18653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fnshtr   Email fnshtr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. That's me too. I'm rather introverted and much prefer to shoot by myself or with close family. I am not at all competitive, other than with myself.

I've taken everything from chipmunks to elk. No problem shooting stump/leaf/grass clump/golf balls and bottle caps but paper targets are not my thing.

I don't understand it other than I don't enjoy shooting at a stationary, piece of paper with rings on it. I prefer hunting.

--------------------
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Posts: 2408 | From: Rockport West Virginia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think my problem is in the paper giving the time to over think the shot. I enjoy competitions but only shoot them with ML.

--------------------
Monterey

"Where is the Life we have lost in living?
Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?"

Thomas Stearns Eliot
(1888-1965)

Posts: 2603 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reddogge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reddogge   Author's Homepage   Email reddogge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably you need to practice holding and AIMING on spots. It's a different ball game.

--------------------
PBS Reg member 1973
Maryland Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA

Posts: 4926 | From: Finksburg, MD | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Arnette
Contributor 2017
Member # 18012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Arnette   Email Michael Arnette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shoot terrible on paper... 3D, animals, and stumping much better
Posts: 2225 | From: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KyStickbow
2017 Contributor
Member # 23941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KyStickbow   Email KyStickbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's me as well....paper targets, 3-d targets..etc. I just dont shoot very well on them. But in a hunting scenario I do just fine.

My practice sessions consist of shooting dandelions, dirt clods..etc around the house. That's what works best for me.

--------------------
Aim small...Miss small!!

Posts: 2004 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Straitshot
2017 Contributor
Member # 1836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Straitshot   Email Straitshot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my humble opinion if you shoot true instinctive it is all the same no matter what you are shooting at. I hope you understand I'm in no way saying I am an expert or that I know it all, but I have been shooting instinctive since 1968 and it doesn't make any difference what I am shooting at. Concentrating on the spot and consistent form is what counts. If I can do that with each and every shot the arrow goes where I look no matter the target. Problem is I can't do it with each and every shot especially the older I get.

And I do think you can over think things and/or try too hard.

--------------------
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Posts: 948 | From: San Angelo, Texas | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kopper1013
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kopper1013   Email Kopper1013   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a competitive indoor compound guy for years, my problem with paper is I get complacent I stop focusing on my shot sequence and really picking a spot I still shoot paper now and then but try to break it up with stumping

--------------------
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Posts: 950 | From: New York | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monterey ole boy.

It's called old age. Yer bow and arrahs are getting old............... [Smile]

I shoot better at 3D targets and stumping than paper bulls eyes. Something about a bulls eye that messes me up.

Posts: 10775 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that, once we get past the adrenaline rush, concentration is more intense in the woods.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4445 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gordon Jabben
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gordon Jabben   Email Gordon Jabben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to be alright on targets and really gave the squirrels a hard time but now I'm not much good at either. I think it's just old age and having to drop bow weight. Your poor shooting on an indoor target may be from fatigue and you probably don't take sixty shots in the woods so your accuracy is better.
Posts: 866 | From: Bartlesville OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcgroundstalker
Contributor 2017
Member # 10420

Icon 3 posted      Profile for mcgroundstalker   Email mcgroundstalker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happens to me too... Call it "over thinking" or "breaking down the shot" when it should just flow smooth... Part of being human, I guess... [dunno] ...

... mike ... [archer2] ...

--------------------
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Posts: 4083 | From: new york | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graps
Contributor 2017
Member # 39874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep , don't think , just shoot .

--------------------
" Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow. " Fred Bear
You won't find a sunset or venison in a grocery store .

}}}}}=========€ >

Posts: 1968 | From: Sparta , Michigan | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
forestdweller
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for forestdweller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think nearly everyone that shoots a subconscious method (split vision or instinctive) all shoot in the field or rather, targets that stand out where you can pick a point much better than paper.

The reason for this is because it's very very difficult to pick out a spot on a large piece of colored paper.

However, if we took a golf ball or tennis ball and placed it on the center of that same paper target I guarantee you that your score would shoot right up.

Posts: 281 | From: NJ | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orion
Contributor 2017
Member # 2759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orion   Email Orion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmm. I dunno. I love stump shooting, and think I do pretty well, but, if truth be told, if there were scoring rings around our targets in the field, I think we'd find we score there just about the same as we do on paper.

For me stump shooting is a lot more fun. I think I might forget those shots that are close, but not quite there. Can't do that with paper. It records the close misses. Or, put another way, the mind tends to remember the good shots, the poorer shots, not so much. I think that happens to me when stump shooting. When I shoot at paper, no way to deceive myself. YMMV.

Posts: 8300 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©