Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Thanks McDave!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thanks McDave!
the rifleman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 31319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the rifleman   Email the rifleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got a new bow---a 56" Toelke PIKA. It is 40@29". I draw about 26.5" so around 34/35# at my draw. I immediately found my Heritage 75s (.670 spine) way too stiff even with 200 up front and full length. I had a 1716 (.880 spine) and found it bareshafted decently. I fletched it and then found that no matter how much weight I added to the front it hit 3-4" to the right---I shoot left handed so thought that it was too stiff. I read one of McDave's posts from April of this year and he explained that sometimes we get an opposite reaction with fletched arrows. I dropped point weight from 125 to 100 and like he said my arrow moved to the left as if it was weaker. I very much appreciate the wealth of information that I have gotten on this site---I'd sure be stumbling around in the dark without it.
I ordered some .800 spine predators and hope that they will tune for me. Thanks again McDave!

Posts: 586 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said you shoot lefthanded and your arrow was impacting to the right. The general wisdom would be that this indicates too weak (for a LH shooter), rather than too stiff. So you decreased the point weight (stiffening the arrow), and it moved your POI to the left, as one would expect. I donít think this is an example of the reverse effect that I wrote about, but it is does show that we have to keep an open mind when we are tuning with fletched shafts. From what you have stated, I believe your .800 spine predators should work out well for you. good luck!

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4324 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the rifleman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 31319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the rifleman   Email the rifleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldnt a right impact indicate a spine too stiff for a lefthander? Point impacting to the right of target and nock left position is what im getting bareshaft.
Posts: 586 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On second thought, you are correct. I must have been confusing my lefties and my righties. So my theory actually did work! Yay!

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 4324 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the rifleman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 31319

Im looking forward to tuning the 800s. I hope they are weak enough as the 1716 is .880 spine-- if not I'll be looking at 900s. When i could get the chronograph to work it looked like speed was only a few fps less than my 42@28 w same arrows i shoot in that bow, so im surprised it is wanting such a weak arrow. I did shoot shorter arrow w lighter tip to rule out a false stiff.
McDave
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10587

I will be interested to know how the .800ís turn out.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

the rifleman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 31319

The 800s tuned good w 125 point and 38gr outsert. Arrows full length. I put a clicker on this bow yesterday-- first time ive used one. Wow did it tell me about my form. All of a sudden the 800s tuned perfect w 100 gr points and my heritage 75 that just barely tuned w 200 points now tune with 125. Im always learning. I believe the clicker is going to be a great aid in consistent expansion.

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©