Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Increasing draw weight....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Increasing draw weight....
rutro
Member # 46680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rutro   Email rutro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started shooting again with a 20# long bow. Felt like it was to light and moved up to a 30# recurve. Now I'm thinking about moving up again. Now what I need to ask is how much? When I went to the 30# bow it was tuff. I've got the bad back from a wreck of a neck to a blown lower unit. But I still get around and love to shoot. I'm up to shooting anywhere from 30 to 90 arrows a day in split sessions, and it feels good to be able to do it. I quit when I start getting arm weary and my shots start opening up. If I move up in 5# increments it would be easier, but also more expensive. I'm thinking about a cheap take down, until I see how far I can go. My goal of course is to get to a hunting draw weight, 50# here in TX. One of the buddies said get a cross bow, and I qualify for one, but I'd just as soon get the bolt gun out. So I need some adult supervision. Should I move up in draw weight now or keep with the 30# bow until I get my anchor down. I still have days where I'm plucking the string and shooting high. But when everything is working right I'm consistent at 20 yd. point on and can keep 3 arrows in a playing card. That's all thanks to this board. It's an inspiration....
Posts: 7 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think anybody here can give you medical advice; that would be between you and your doctor.

Leaving that aside, and just looking at it as a question of somebody getting back into archery after not shooting for a while who wants to eventually shoot 50 pounds, I would jump up to 40# at this point. If it seems hard to shoot at first, just don't shoot as much until you get used to it. 40# is a good weight to practice with if you want to hunt with 50#, and you can use it in 3D competitions if you have any interest in that. So I see a 40# bow as something you would keep and use in the future, rather than just shoot for a while until you grow out of it.

Again, any specific medical issues you might have might make my advice worthless.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4323 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with McDave. 40# is a good stepping stone weight as you progress to your desired 50# hunting weight. Just be sure to take your time. Stay in touch with your doctor during this process. Good luck.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4937 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rutro
Member # 46680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rutro   Email rutro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey thanks for the replies. I did't mean to imply anyone here should offer medical advice, I won't even ask my Dr. for medical advice. We usually talk fishing or what's happening at the Lake, Lake Fork in E.TX. When I told him I was shooting the bow again he said Cool. So I'm looking at bows again.
Posts: 7 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Rice
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2947

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Rice   Email Dave Rice   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I share a bit of your pain. After my 3rd shoulder surgery I sold all of my bows, arrow making supplies, etc., and got out of the game. But, I just don't enjoy hunting during rifle season, and won't use a crossbow. Doing lots of exercises now as I wait for my new bow to arrive.

No help in my anecdote, except to say that you're not alone, and best wishes.

Dave

Posts: 233 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©