JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » WISCONSIN - Wisconsin Traditional Archers » 2014 WTA game pole (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 2014 WTA game pole
Greg Szalewski
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Szalewski   Email Greg Szalewski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here you go, let's see the pictures and hear the success stories from your hunts. Please be sure to send them to Tim for the Stump Shooter as well.
Greg

--------------------
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Posts: 1170 | From: Menomonee Falls, WI | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whip
Contributor 2015
Member # 113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whip   Email Whip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been a good spring!
First season at my cabin three hours into my first morning.
 -

The fourth week I had another tag. First morning out, same blind. Five toms came in and one quickly died. The other four hung around for a solid hour being up on their dead buddy and my jake decoy.

-

And using up my breeding hen decoy like some cheap blow up doll.

-

--------------------
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Posts: 10395 | From: Lake Mills, WI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suburbanirma
SPONSOR
Member # 9621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suburbanirma   Email suburbanirma   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ot out to my turkey blind this morning by 5 a.m., set out a lone hen decoy and settled into my comfy Huntmore chair. About a half hour later, I hen yelped and did that again about every 20 minutes. By 7:30, I decided to take a look at my cell phone for emails and then checked out the TradGang forum to pass the time. When I looked up a few minutes later, there was a dandy gobbler out beyond the decoy. It was pecking around in the grass and suddenly was right there in front of me. As I started to draw my Morrison ILF Max1 recurve, the turkey popped its head up and looked my way. He then resumed pecking around in the grass, I took aim and loosed the arrow. At the same time, the bird turned slightly and the arrow struck him angling forward at the hip. On impact, the nock of the arrow blew out from the weight tube I had inside the arrow shaft. The turkey ran off with the arrow dragging behind. I watched him crouch low at the edge of the tag alders for a couple of minutes, and then he started limping toward the adjacent spruce swamp. I left the blind and circled to a logging road that the bird would have to cross. After several minutes, I didn't see the gobbler, so I went back to where I last saw him, found blood and took a step into the flooded marsh. Suddenly, there was a big racket 20 yards ahead and the turkey clattered airborne and flew to the north, toward a pasture.
"Way to go...," I told myself. "Now what?"
I slogged through the marsh and tall brush and stepped into the pasture. I regained my line of sight where I thought the turkey flew and headed in that direction. I hit the logging road and found a fresh turkey track in the sand. Only one foot was making tracks and those were about four feet in between each mark. I followed northward until the tracks indicated that the gobbler crossed the road.
I continued across the road to another logging road. I got just 10 yards or so down that road and heard a commotion in the tag alders to the east. It was the turkey and he was trying to hustle through the brush. Suddenly, it clambered into the air again and flew across another marsh. I couldn't see exactly where he dropped down but headed in that direction anyway. This was unfamiliar territory to me, so it was difficult to predict where he might go. The landscape had forest, grassy paths, overgrown meadow and recent clearcut with inch-thick aspen saplings. I thought that perhaps he landed further to the north again where there was a jungle of tag alder clumps in a soggy meadow.
As I picked my way through the tag alders, I heard a racket in front of me and there was the turkey flapping as it limped away from me. I hustled after it with my bow in one hand and a bow quiver in the other. I almost caught up to it and took out an arrow to try to shoot through the little trees. When the bird got to another small clearing, he jumped into the air and was winging his way to the east. In the process of weaseling through the brush in pursuit of the gobbler, I lost my quiver and had just the one arrow on my person. I marked where the turkey came down and headed that way after him. I wound down through a shallow, brushy ravine and heard the flapping noise again off to the side. I headed in that direction and spotted the turkey that seemed to be nearly played out. I was able to get a relatively close shot at him and hit him at the base of the wing. He took off again, but at a really slow pace, as this nearly 65-year-old fat man caught up to him and broke its neck, as I was out of ammo by that time. All in all, I chased this turkey more than 3/4 mile across woods, marsh and swamps and it took about an hour. That isn't how I planned to get a turkey, but that's how it happened. I really hate to give up on a "hit" animal.
 -

--------------------
www.tradarchersworld.com

Posts: 727 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ragin Bull
Contributor 2015
Member # 11323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ragin Bull   Author's Homepage   Email Ragin Bull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They don't always go as planned but congrats on your persistence and a fine bird Tom

--------------------
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Posts: 1165 | From: Wis. | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Szalewski
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Szalewski   Email Greg Szalewski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK it's about time I get around to doing this. Karen and I got back from our trip of a lifetime to Africa with Dale and Sandie Karch 3 weeks ago. I did not go tOhere with visions of filling the game room that I don't have but ended up shooting many beautiful animals that have great memories to go along with them.

-
I started out with this red hartebeest that Karen picked out for me. He was an old bull.

-

The next day Karen picked out this blue wildebeest. Sharing a blind with your spouse is part of what made this trip so enjoyable. Anyway, he gave me the shot I was looking for and I did in fact shoot him in the heart.

-

The next day Dale was sitting with me jinxing up my blind as he usually does when finally this huge female warthog came in. Dale did a great job getting it on video. Jessie the tracking dog had a short job of finding her.

-

Day five Karen picked out this fine kudu. Actually I was set on trying to get a shot from first sight and had to wait nearly a half hour to get a shot. This one I used my three piece longbow I made with Africa woods(I had to take this bow). I had a double lung pass through and saw him go down after a hundred yards.

--------------------
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Sherwood Forest

Posts: 1170 | From: Menomonee Falls, WI | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Szalewski
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14564

-

Day six I was left unsupervised when this big male warthog rushing in with his buddy. I was going to shoot his buddy until he shoved him out of the way. This was another pass through and took off the top of his heart leaving a blood trail I could see from in the blind. He ran full speed forty yards and ran into a ten inch dia. tree putting deep gouges in the bark from his tusks. The tracking dog lept off the truck at the scent of all the blood.

-

Day seven was very busy at the water hole when a group of impala rams came in and the big one gave me the shot I was waiting for. He collapsed from the double lung shot on either the last bound I saw or the next making for another short tracking job.

-

I went back into the blind after the impala was taken away and had this nice gemsbok come in and make me wait for over an hour until I could get a good shot at him. Once again I chose the longbow. I nailed a rib on the way in severely limiting the arrows penetration to just one lung but the dogs did the job in the end of running him down.

All in all it was a fantastic trip. We went to Victoria Falls after the hunt to make more fantastic memories.

--------------------
Sherwood Forest

Ragin Bull
Contributor 2015
Member # 11323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ragin Bull   Author's Homepage   Email Ragin Bull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on some beautiful animals Greg.
Africa is a beautiful place with special memories and you are so right about having your spouse in the blind with you.congrats again to you and Karen

--------------------
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Posts: 1165 | From: Wis. | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
don kauss
Contributor 2015
Member # 15205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for don kauss   Email don kauss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Along the Noatak River, 160 miles N/E of Kotzebue, Alaska
Two-man Drop hunt (5 day)
RAM Air Service, out of Kotzebue
60 lb. Tall Tines & a 135 grain Zwickey Delta (because Cliffs are illegal in Alaska!) glued onto a Kaiser Kustom Doug Fir (Surewood)shaft.

-

--------------------
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Posts: 1019 | From: Loganville, Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete McMiller
Contributor 2013
Member # 23559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete McMiller   Email Pete McMiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice bull Don. He should eat good. Haven't thought about caribou much in recent years - maybe it's time to go back.

--------------------
Pete

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE [mo 'lon la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Posts: 1315 | From: Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
don kauss
Contributor 2015
Member # 15205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for don kauss   Email don kauss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Pete...it was a great trip...we shipped back a couple boxes of the choice cuts (very expensive to ship back!), and gave the rest to the local Natives...maybe there will be some Caribou samples at the Bunny Hunt this winter...!

--------------------
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Posts: 1019 | From: Loganville, Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Szalewski
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14564

Opening of bear season got off to a good start. I was Camp bitch for Johnathan Karch and his dad for Johnathan's bear hunt. I was also on call to help out Carl Klug who was hunting on the other side of the county. The first couple days were quite wet and then on the third day we saw the sun. I made my award winning "Peppers Delight" (formerly known as Poison Peppers) for lunch. Just as I was cleaning up Carl gave me a call and said he had a bear down so I took off to give him a hand.

-

-

This was Carl's first bear with a traditional bow. He made a good shot double lunging it and putting a nick in the heart.

I wasn't ten miles away from Carl on the way back to camp and I got a text from Dale saying Johnathan had just shot a bear.

-

He made another good shot on the bear and he only went ten yards after being shot in the heart.

-

Congratulations guys on your first traditional bear harvests.

--------------------
Sherwood Forest

BowHuntingFool
Contributor 2008
Member # 14899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BowHuntingFool   Email BowHuntingFool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good stuff fellas, Congrats!

--------------------
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Ojibwa Bowhunters

Posts: 3578 | From: S.E.Wisconsin/N.Michigan | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don.. awesome caribou. Man, some day I wanna do that.
ChuckC

Posts: 7169 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
Contributor 2017
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on Bou Don!

Great Bunch of Bears also.

JOE B. where the heck have you been?

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 16702 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
don kauss
Contributor 2015
Member # 15205

Thanks guys! Chuck, if you're serious, I'll hook you up with RAM Aviation...they run a great service...

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©