JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » WISCONSIN - Wisconsin Traditional Archers » 2016 WTA Game Pole... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 2016 WTA Game Pole...
BowHuntingFool
Contributor 2008
Member # 14899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BowHuntingFool   Email BowHuntingFool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll start... lol... :-) I shot this guy at 10 yards Opening Evening. Watched him all week the week before season, I went in set up where he was coming into the field, I misted a little Doe Pee and about 15 minutes later he came running in from down wind, stopped 10 yards infant of me, slightly quartering to and with a perfectly placed arrow by the hunter(:-) he went maybe 75 yards! I'm stoked!

-

-

-

Good luck everyone and be safe!

--------------------
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Ojibwa Bowhunters

Posts: 3578 | From: S.E.Wisconsin/N.Michigan | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete McMiller
Contributor 2013
Member # 23559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete McMiller   Email Pete McMiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Joe, very nice buck.

--------------------
Pete

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE [mo 'lon la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Posts: 1315 | From: Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Szalewski
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Szalewski   Email Greg Szalewski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WAY TO GO Joe!!!! Congratulations!!!

--------------------
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Posts: 1170 | From: Menomonee Falls, WI | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Szalewski
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Szalewski   Email Greg Szalewski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A blind squirrel does in fact find a nut once and a while. That was the case as luck was on my side on opening morning.
With the full moon on Friday it was still fairly high as the sun was coming up Saturday morning. The skies were clear to the west and overcast to the east so it was one of those rare mornings where the transition from bright moonlight to daybreak is undistinguishable. So as the day was starting I stood up in my stand to prepare for what might come my way a few minutes before opening.
After standing for about ten minutes I turned my head to the right just in time to see a buck approaching on the trail 15 yards in front of my stand. He stopped with his vitals behind a tree and started to work over the overhanging leafed out branch. After about a half minute I got turned to face him and he paws the ground twice and takes a couple steps clearing the tree but now angling towards me. In the low light it was tough to see very many details of his rack. His long tines stood out and when he faced me I could see the spread and some significant mass.
I had to make a decision fast on whether to try and fill my tag this early in the season and decided that he would fulfill my requirements of a shooter. Turning back on the trail he moved slow as I came to full draw but the clump of leaves in front of me were of concern. The shot just did not feel right. As he passed by another tree he entered the spot that would be my final chance to get off a shot and the arrow was on itís way. The illuminock made it look like a green laser right to the center of the chest.
He took off to the south running straight away from me along the side of the corn field. His tail was tucked tight and at about 75 yards away he stopped broadside and looks back my way. After about five seconds he gone but replaced by a big white spot on the ground just in front of the spot he stood. Checking my watch it said 6:17, just six minutes after opening. The low light prevented me from seeing details of his collapse. Looking through the binoculars didnít provide a much better look either.
Had he been in more of a hurry and was just walking past me and not stopped at the overhanging branch I never would have even attempted to shoot. There just was not enough light to process everything that fast.
Just to be safe I sat to enjoy the morning. After 20 minutes the light was better and confirmed that he was down for good. After waiting ten more minutes I climb down and piece together all that just happened.
As it turned out the arrow passed through the heart making a very visible blood trail with huge splashes on each bound.
The buck was sporting a 5X5 rack with a 13 ľ inside spread and weighed in at 165 lbs. I couldnít have been happier as this is my personal best with traditional gear. The Robertson recurve, Wensel Woodsman broadheads, and Traditional Only carbon shafts had done a super job.
On a side note, this stand is essentially the same one that I got my first traditional kill 22 years earlier. That stand however was a ground blind 30yards to the south. On that hunt I used the most miserable longbow know to man (my first build) with mismatched arrows. But I can tell you this much, a fawn at eye level makes them appear much bigger and in fact very exciting. Heart shot as well she came to rest not far from where this buck did.

This is what the bloodtrail looked like.

-

-

-

--------------------
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Sherwood Forest

Posts: 1170 | From: Menomonee Falls, WI | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete McMiller
Contributor 2013
Member # 23559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete McMiller   Email Pete McMiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a dandy Greg, congratulations. Great shot.

--------------------
Pete

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE [mo 'lon la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Posts: 1315 | From: Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BowHuntingFool
Contributor 2008
Member # 14899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BowHuntingFool   Email BowHuntingFool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done Greg, what a brute! Congrats brother! [clapper] [clapper] [clapper]

--------------------
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Ojibwa Bowhunters

Posts: 3578 | From: S.E.Wisconsin/N.Michigan | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CBergeman
Contributor 2017
Member # 10715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CBergeman   Email CBergeman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very fine looking animals Joe and Greg. Congrats to you both! [thumbsup] [clapper]
Posts: 295 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
Contributor 2017
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Joe and Greg, Both Fine specimens.

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 16702 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, some great deer already !
ChuckC

Posts: 7169 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GREATBROWNKNOCKEMDOWN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GREATBROWNKNOCKEMDOWN   Email GREATBROWNKNOCKEMDOWN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice deer! Congrats to Joe b and Greg S . !

--------------------
Big River 1pcs longbows 60 47@26
Big River 2pcs longbow 62in 50@26
Big River Flatbow 60in 57@26
Dave Ricke Recurve 60in 47@26
WISCONSIN TRADITIONAL ARCHERS
Neosho Archers

Posts: 653 | From: Wauwatosa Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellow Dog
Contributor 2017
Member # 14221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow Dog   Email Yellow Dog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 2972 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BowHuntingFool
Contributor 2008
Member # 14899

Thanks boys!

--------------------
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Ojibwa Bowhunters

Greg Szalewski
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14564

I finally connected on a turkey in Door county after several years of hunting there with Ron Lang.

-

--------------------
Sherwood Forest

Cyclic-Rivers
Contributor 2017
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Greg!

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 16702 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Szalewski
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14564

I had the opportunity to hunt Iowa for the first time last week and got my biggest deer with the bow yet there.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14980711_10211138422920308_1526873074220270014_n.jpg?oh=a8a0399d5456df433f274bb23dfe0269&oe=58907616

--------------------
Sherwood Forest

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©