JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Recipes/Grilling/ Barbecuing/Smokers » Big Green Egg (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Big Green Egg
Iron
Contributor 2010
Member # 19718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron   Email Iron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides Trad shooting and fishing, i also do bbq, i have a couple diferent smokers..i just thought you guys who are interested in this might like one of my other favorite sites..

www.smokingmeatforums.com

i hope its not against the rules to promote another forum, if it is just delete this.

if its ok, then i think all the answers are here...its kinda the "Trad gang" of the smoking world. super nice people a live chat to ask real time questions.. and trust me they can have a first time guy cooking edible stuff real quick.

any smoker mods, and build alongs are also here.

just thought you guys might get some good advice here.

Jason

--------------------
"It is what it is,improvise, adapt, and get it done!"

Hunter's moon 49@28"
1973 Kodiak Hunter 55#@28"
1970 Kodiak Hunter 50#@28"
1970 Super Kodiak 45#@28"
1965 Kodiak magnum 47#@28"

Posts: 232 | From: Plymouth,WI | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
highpoint forge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for highpoint forge   Author's Homepage   Email highpoint forge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to see this thread still alive. I just made 2 excellent dry rub racks of babyack ribs for my ANniversary dinner on the 18th with the DIY BGE. After about 2 years of filling it with grease, I decided to pitch it and probably get a large BGE, used. My DIY egg would climb right to 200F for four to five hours no prob. What did occur though was having an upper and lower rack, the lower rack tended to be "crispier" when all was said and done. That said, we usually didn't eat two whole racks, so no big there. I did get tired of rolling it around on a little flowerpot cart and my lid isn't hinged so you would have to hoist it. Just not very convenient, but very effective.

--------------------
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Posts: 1311 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ranger58
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ranger58   Email Ranger58   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a large Egg and I'll never go back to propane or the briquets. Lump is the only way to go! The longest/slowest cook I've done so far is just over 12 hrs and it was awesome. I'm working my way up to a brisket in the 16-18hr range.
I bake in it, roast in it, sautee in it (with my griswold cast iron pans), and steaks or burgers can't be beat on it. If you want the best pizza you've ever tasted try one on an egg! I whole heartedly recommend it to everyone. The price is up there; but, it definitely will last longer than any of the propane grills out there!

--------------------
Stickbows, Sidelocks and Flyrods, anything to make it more of a challenge!

Palmer Classic w/ 50@28 and 56@27 limbs
58 Kodiak 45@28
Kodiak 59'er 50@28
1958 Pearson Hunter dual shelf 45@28
and my original longbow I used as a kid.

Posts: 658 | From: Lewistown, PA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J_R_S
Member # 34828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J_R_S   Email J_R_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had a large BGE for about 8 years now and it's by far the best cooker ever! From slow and low, to high heat sears, and everything in between hands down the best. My wife bought it for me as a surprise one Christmas, she says every year "I'll never be able to top that present" and she's RIGHT.
I smoked a 12 lb brisket all day at 225 degrees earlier this week and never touched it once after I put the meat on.
Set it and forget it. The Kamado style cooker holds moisture in meat better than any other cooker.

Posts: 3 | From: Macon, GA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mint
2017 Contributor
Member # 5900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mint   Email Mint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How the years go by. I started thisthread in 2007 when I was planning on building a elevated deck on my house. Well that never happenned do to the county codes i had to deal with that would have made it the size of a bathtub so i had a large patio installed last year and plan on getting the EGG in the next month or so. I found a How to on the web on how to build the table so that will be done first. Can't wait to get started.

--------------------
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1519 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mint...have you looked at the Traeger Pellet grills?

I sold my green egg after I ate off the Traeger for a week in hunt camp and bought the Deluxe. Never looked back.

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & **** ********** (coming soon)

Posts: 30277 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bretto
Contributor 2016
Member # 11278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bretto   Email bretto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terry, Does the Treager self load like the Bradley smoker or do You just build a fire like in a charcoal grill? Also are You limited to using the pellets or can charcoal be substituted?

I'm going to replace My grill sometime this year and am not real sure of what to get yet

Posts: 2319 | From: Linwood, Ks | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about the smoker...but all you do is turn it on to the temp you want....pellets are fed by an auger....

CLICK HERE

--------------------

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Posts: 30277 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bretto
Contributor 2016
Member # 11278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bretto   Email bretto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Terry I'll check these out in person when it's time to buy a new one.
Posts: 2319 | From: Linwood, Ks | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve in Canton
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve in Canton   Email Steve in Canton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a treager but like my egg better, treager does not get hot enough to put a great sear on a steak, treagers are great for smoking but my egg does everything better.
Posts: 313 | From: Canton Ohio | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Steve....don't know what kind of Traeger you got...but mine gets up to 400. I cook all sorts of stuff on it....just don't want folks to think its just a smoker....far far from it. It IS a grill.

And with the indirect heat, you really don't need a sear on a steak....that process is used to seal one side of the steak to keep the juices in on direct heat cooking, and as you know, both the grills are radiant heat which greatly increased dry out of meats. Of couse, if you have other reasons for a sear...

BTW...just how do you sear a steak on a green egg?

--------------------

JockC
Contributor 2014
Member # 3082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JockC   Email JockC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lined the bottom of my Treager with firebricks and bought a thermal blanket from another manufacturer for the top, and I can get to 450 degrees easily and quickly in a Montana winter. Having the grill out of the wind as much as possible helps also. If you go to one of the Treager websites you will see discussions of removing one or both heat baffles for a direct flame sear. People who know more than I say there are no problems with grease buildup with the baffles removed, but I'm leery of that in bear country.

--------------------
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Posts: 331 | From: Evaro, Montana | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bretto
Contributor 2016
Member # 11278

I went to check out the Treager grills at the place where there website said they are sold near me. They haven't carried them 2 years.

Do You fellers that own the Treagers store them inside? Or is it possible to cover them and leave them on a deck?

JockC
Contributor 2014
Member # 3082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JockC   Email JockC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought mine at a Costco promotion, and it came with a really nice cover.

There is an electical connection for the auger, so you likely need to take care not to let it get wet.

--------------------
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Posts: 331 | From: Evaro, Montana | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bretto
Contributor 2016
Member # 11278

Thanks Jock.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©