JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Recipes/Grilling/ Barbecuing/Smokers » Bear - Worth it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bear - Worth it?
YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YosemiteSam   Email YosemiteSam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a serious question. I've had a few different game animals over the years but never bear. Wouldn't want to shoot one if it wasn't any good or if the family wouldn't eat it. But I've been seeing a fair amount of sign these past couple years. Any comparisons flavor-wise? Is it good enough for steaks? Or is this mostly sausage meat?

--------------------
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Posts: 720 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sixgun
Contributor 2014
Member # 37285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sixgun   Email Sixgun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ontario bear I shot last Fall is excellent table fare.

The blueberry crop was exceptional! He has a slightly sweet flavor, kind of like venison that is very lightly marinaded in jelly.

My son compares it very favorably to regular beef steaks.

Hope that helps.

Ray

--------------------
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be . . . time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there.

Fred Bear

Posts: 140 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kromer
Member # 44858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kromer   Email Kromer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It all depends on what their diet consists of. Like sixgun said, a berry bear is delicious. I love bear meat, but I don't think I could choke down a bear with a fish diet...
Posts: 84 | From: MN | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YosemiteSam   Email YosemiteSam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kromer:
It all depends on what their diet consists of. Like sixgun said, a berry bear is delicious. I love bear meat, but I don't think I could choke down a bear with a fish diet...

Yea, I've heard the same about bears that stake out campsites & eat trash.

For better or worse, the salmon are basically extinct out here. Shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks. Might have to get a bear tag after all.

--------------------
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Posts: 720 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Just looked up the hunting regs for bear. Looks like the season is a lot longer than I thought. Looks like the coast is off-limits. Too bad. Saw a nice, fat one down there last month.

--------------------

nek4me
Contributor 2017
Member # 44724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nek4me   Email nek4me   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sam,
Check out the stew recipe I posted below in August. As noted, it was originally a venison recipe but I thought it was even better with bear meat. Doesn't matter the cut either when used in a stew. Also made quite a bit of jerky with those two bears and everyone loved it. The texture of bear is a lot different than hooved game and difficult to cut into thin strips for jerky so I used shears which worked great.

Do a search on the Pow Wow. There was a thread not too long ago with lots of positive comments on bear meat.

Posts: 260 | From: MA and Northeast VT | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©