JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » FLORIDA - Traditional Bowhunters of Florida » Hog Hunting Florida

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hog Hunting Florida
gregg dudley
Member # 3093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gregg dudley   Author's Homepage   Email gregg dudley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hog Hunting in Florida is the number 1 inquiry that we get on this conference from out of state hunters so I thought i would feature a thread on the topic.

OK, here goes...I know everybody watches TV and hears stories about hog hunting in Florida and thinks that pigs are thick as thieves down here so here is the skinny. They is and they isn't!

Access is the key and it can be hard to come by. MOST good hog hunting is on private property and despite what you may have heard about nuisance hogs, they are widely viewed as a financial commodity to be taken exploited. Remember this is the SOUTH where the concept of leasing land for hunting is as old as I am.

I am going to break it down in terms of public land hunting and private land hunting.

On public land:
Public land is only open for hog hunting in conjunction with other open seasons. There are very few exceptions to this rule. Public land in Florida is generally in the form of Wildlife Management Areas (WMA). There are 175 WMAs in Florida and the all have their own unique rules and regulations. To explore information concerning public land hunting opportunities, got to myfwc.org and select hunting, then WMA maps or WMA regulations.

On private land:
The best way to assure yourself of a good hog hunting experience is join a lease that is geared towards hog hunting. If that is not a practical consideration, the next best bet is to consider an outfitter that is known for hunting hogs.

I have NEVER PERSONALLY used any of the outfitters that I am about to list, but TBOF members who I respect have.

Archery Outfitters with Nikki Roth (very good to TBOF)

Osceola Outfitters with Hoppy Kempfer (if Don Davis recommends him that is good enough for me).

True South with Jim Dussais (Tarponnut here on tradgang)

There are others I am sure, but this is a good start. If other TBOF members or tradgangers care to add to this list feel free to do so.

--------------------
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Posts: 5829 | From: weirsdale, fl | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gringol
Contributor 2014
Member # 34789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gringol   Email gringol   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good post, Gregg. Typically the hogs are thick were hunting is not allowed, e.g. the edge of suburban neighborhoods with conservation easments. On public land (i.e. the WMAs) where hunting is legal, hogs are relatively rare and hard to spot in the daylight. I primarily hunt public land, and have seen enough hog sign, but never a hog. On private land managed for hogs, they can be like the tv shows. If I were coming from out of state, I would go straight to an outfitter or find some kind of private land managed for hogs.
Posts: 1651 | From: Tampa, FL | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fisherking73
Member # 35034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fisherking73   Email Fisherking73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto. Public land has hogs, but you gotta know were to go. Easiest way is with an outfitter. I wish I could find an affordable lease for hogs, but as much a "nuisance" as everyone says they are, they sure do love trapping and selling them to outfitters.
Posts: 98 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Butler
Contributor 2016
Member # 7393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Butler   Email Rick Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info Greg. My daughter lives in the Palm Bay area and I've always wanted to plan a Hog hunt around a visit.

--------------------
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 2313 | From: Swartz Creek & DeTour Village MI. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarponnut
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tarponnut   Email tarponnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gregg hit the nail right on the head!
On the WMA's I've hunted, the hogs are mostly nocturnal from the hunting pressure.Private land is the way to go for bowhunting, in my experience.
It has taken me years of trying to be able to finally secure a couple of hog leases.
I have heard good things about Hoppy's place mentioned above and have hunted Nickie Roth's place with success(he's a trad guy).
At True South Adventures, we are bowhunting-only(about 90% trad guys so far),free-range, no dogs or buggies.

Posts: 2472 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Szalewski
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Szalewski   Email Greg Szalewski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in your neighborhood last month Dale and I went to a place just south of St Augustine called God's Country Outfitters. R.T. was real accommodating. Although we didn't stay there he had a very nice camp built on the end of a pole shed. It seems most of his clients are gun hunters but he understands traditional bow hunters. For $250 for a meat hog he also butchered it for me. It worked out real good for us as we stayed in St Augustine and our wives were shopping while we hunted. godscountryoutfitters.net

--------------------
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Posts: 1181 | From: Menomonee Falls, WI | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarponnut
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tarponnut   Email tarponnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True South Adventures Inc. is a Trad Gang sponsor and is about 90% traditional archers. We have nearly almost 100% opportunity on hogs this year(no dogs or guns).

I am a member of TBOF, and WTA (Wisconsin Traditional Archers).
www.truesouthadventures.com
Thanks, Jim Dussias

Posts: 2472 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UrbanArcher1975
Member # 37005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanArcher1975   Email UrbanArcher1975   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is True South Adventures still around? I tried to log onto the webpage multiple times and wasn't successful.

--------------------
Bear Montana 55#

Posts: 80 | From: FL | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnnyWayne
Contributor 2014
Member # 29314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnnyWayne   Email JohnnyWayne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are around for sure, pretty sure he uses flash for his site so possibly an issue with your web browser?

--------------------
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Posts: 1239 | From: South Florida | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©